VDH Irritation

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Corvn, Dec 28, 2016.

1. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

When you get the razor, if it doesn't come with blades, Bed Bath & Beyond carries Wilkinson Sword Classic. At least by me(Central NJ). Enjoy your shaves!!

RyX and Carbide Mike like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Hope it clears up soon. Try Mike's Natural Soaps, perhaps start with the unscented.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'll have to check the one near me. Several shops here in South West Louisiana sell a generic store brand blade that's labeled "Made in Israel". They are unmarked Personna Reds. Not the best, but much better than a VDH ice tempered blade.

Corvn and RetLEO-07 like this.
  4. RetLEO-07

What exactly is an"ice tempered" blade anyway?

LevelupShaves and RyX like this.
  5. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

From http://www.precisionsharpening.net/about_scissors:

In a simplified form, stainless steel is regular steel with chromium added to make the steel more rust resistant, thus "stainless" steel. The disadvantage of the high content of chromium in stainless steel is that the cutting edges dull quicker. To overcome this, the steel is subjected to very low temperatures (frozen or "ice tempered"), to optimize the steel structure for hardness. This is how it works:

To make steel hard, it has to be heat treated. With stainless steel, that means heating the steel above 2000 degrees Fahrenheit. At that temperature the structure of the material is at its optimum. To preserve this structure, the steel is cooled rapidly (quenched) and tempered at about 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Now you have a pretty good hardness and flexibility on your tool except that the chromium in the steel will not permit a long lasting cutting edge. To make the cutting edge last longer, the steel is subjected to about 120 degrees below zero; in other words, "Ice Tempered". The tool is not much harder, but the steel structure is at its optimum. It is virtually impossible to prove or disprove if ice tempering was done, without a steel analysis.​

Matt0210, Corvn, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  6. RetLEO-07

Thanks for that John. You would think after all that it would be a better blade.

LevelupShaves likes this.
  7. Corvn

Corvn Member

Does anyone know if wet shaves soaps use lye? My wife and I were interested in learning how to make soap a few years ago. Its basically a mixture of lye water and tallow. We started thinking about it and could this be caused by leaving the soap residue on the skin and not rinsing it all off? Trying not to beat a dead horse here or whatever the saying is.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    Linuxguile likes this.
  8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

All soaps use lye to convert fat to soap. If you didn't have issue with any other soap I doubt it was the lye, unless the soap wasn't fully cured and still had active lye in it. More likely something in the fragrance that bothered you.

9. TCBENNETT55

TCBENNETT55 Active Member

I ditched the VDH. Try Kell's.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Norcalnewb likes this.
  10. hairball

hairball New Member

VDH soap is not an actual shave soap... its a detergent melt and pour thing like what Col Conk sells.

Its a chemical reaction happnening. The funny part is, a stick of Tabac would fix all your problems AND give a better smell.

brit and Carbide Mike like this.
  11. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

+ 1 . I believe that soap is somewhat caustic. ! The one I tried didn't get along with my skin. I know they have a few types, and I probably got one that is not their best.

12. brit

brit in a box

there is a cream for that.......:happy093:

RyX and Carbide Mike like this.
  13. hairball

hairball New Member

It burns as bad as Arko does for me, but lubricates a lot more, but its still um, crap

Carbide Mike likes this.
  14. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

You mean the cream you get from your Pain Management Dr. ---- 7% lidocaine, 1% ketamine ,0.05% betamethasone, and Silver Sulfadiazine !

15. brit

brit in a box

more in fun than anything, re a different soap cream .

16. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I'm relatively new to this so my soap experience is marginal but I like VDH soaps both the luxury and deluxe. I feel like the deluxe lathers better and feels better post shave but the scent is lacking and Luxury has a great scent but it's pretty drying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk