Vie-Long Horse Hair

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Maximumsmoke, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

3. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

4. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

There is my horse hair brush. VIe-Long. It was my top brush until I received a Plissoft.[​IMG]

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

Spyder and PickledNorthern like this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Nice looking brush....and such a neat looking corner.

Spyder and Troy M like this.
  6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

That is a great handle. I had one just like it in a white, and sold it early on, because I thought I only preferred bigger brushes. It was one of the best knots I have had to date, and I really wish I would have kept it.

Spyder and Troy M like this.
  7. Bird Lives

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

So we send them to you to get defunkafied?

PickledNorthern and Spyder like this.
  9. Bird Lives

Actually these are really great!! The only ones the Barbers use are the 'Maxi' ones...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  10. Bird Lives

:rofl:Man, I'm soo into the Groove....:happy069:., folks swing by here for regroovin, so they can GET "Funky":git:....Not to get Defunked...:angry032:

Thats like going to Soul City NC to learn Chamber Music....:signs136:

11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Got it!! Wooo.

12. Bird Lives

:happy097::happy102:

13. ralphs007

ralphs007 Member

This place has them,but I think they're Boar. https://capellibeauty.com/jaguar-shaving-brush-1071.html
    I also read that they are huge,something like 6 inches long.

14. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I have a couple of Vie-Longs, I traded off a third because the handle was too fat for me. One of the V-L's I kept was the Cachurro, I had no shedding problem with it, but I found the bristles overly soft and floppy. The horse hair I use daily is a #6 from bestshave.net. Mine works very well and was very inexpensive, the QC is kind of hit and miss however, but even the worst one was still usable for me and for the price you can buy several and pick the one that works best for you. :)

15. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Is that the one they make from the three foot tall horses with curly tails? ;)

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

those are the fabulous ones right?

PickledNorthern likes this.
  17. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

As mentioned above, I have yet to spend over $20 on a shave brush. Well lookee what I found! At the local Target.
    Target_Cremo_Clearance.jpg
    So I brought one home today. To be clear, this Vie-Long Cremo brush is the most expensive brush I have bought.
    I understand that it is a private label of the Vie-Long 12061 , which can be had online for ~$14.
    But I got to see this brush in person. And I was able to pick the one that had the best, most uniform knot (from the 3 that were on the shelf).
    I like to buy retail locally in hopes that they notice that there is demand for traditional shaving products. But note - this was on clearance.
    I hope that I'm wrong, but I suspect that Target will not be carrying these products once they are gone. Other Cremo products were on clearance too.

So I used it for a shave today, and as I always do, just expected to use it for the 1st shave right out of the box. But when it got wet - what a stinker!
    I had just washed my face with Dial Vanilla Honey (with protein packed yogurt), so I quickly hand washed the Cremo brush with the same and rinsed.
    I then loaded the brush with Van Der Hagen Deluxe Shave Soap. Bringing it to my face, the pungent wet horse was dominant. I used the Dial 2x more.

On to the face lather. Hold your breath, and build a nice substantial lather. The brush works very well. No hairs lost, no tangles. I do not baby brushes.
    I do squeeze the lather out of my brushes with my fingers for any touch up passes. As I squeeze the lather out, I notice a brownish ring in the middle of it.
    This soap lathers white, not brown. Weird. I rinse those darker suds from the middle of the pile down the sink and apply the rest to finish my 3-pass BBS.

Every lather, the scent gets a little weaker, but has a very pungent character when brought close to the nose. I thoroughly rinsed and squeezed the brush.
    I then combed the hairs and dried it on a towel. Still has a musky smell, so I put a drop of Pinaud Clubman AS in my palm and worked it into the bristles.

I put the Cremo/Vie-Long brush into an empty toilet paper roll to keep the bristles straight while this brush dries out over night.
    Will this become not only my most expensive brush, but also my most favored brush? Maybe not. We'll see.

18. Michael_W

I find that using a good shampoo (like Neutragena) to wash out that initial odor prior to use helps.

EnglishChannel likes this.
  19. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. I have never done anything to prep a new brush for use - other than wetting it and lathering with it.

I admit that I have a meager collection (13 brushes in all), but it includes boar, badger, synthetic and now horse. This is the only one of them all that smelled offensive to me 1st use out of the box. Others had a slightly musky smell, but this one was pungent.

Still, I like the brush and fully expect the smell to disappear as it breaks in.

20. Michael_W

Yeah, it'll definitely go away eventually. It might take a bit longer, but it will go away. Like I said, giving it a good shampooing will help speed that along, and prolong the life of the bristles.