Vintage Bemis single edge safety razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dark Vapor, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Dark Vapor

Dark Vapor Active Member

I recently picked up a Bemis safety razor on ebay. The patent year is 1909.
    I was just wondering if any of my fellow shavers have any experience with this razor?
    The blade loading assembly seems to be quite simple. There is a loose bar that slips over the comb to secure the blade in place. It doesn't seem to want to accept modern single edged blades at all, even though they seem to fit the base and line up with the bar perfectly. I know this is a very obscure/rare razor, but have any of you ever come across one?

2. geeeyejo

geeeyejo Active Member

Let's see some pics!

3. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

+1

:pics:

4. Dark Vapor

Dark Vapor Active Member

Bemis1.jpg The razor with the collar over the bar.

Bristle Me likes this.
  5. Dark Vapor

Dark Vapor Active Member

Bemis2.jpg The razor with the collar removed.

6. Mr. Shaverman

Interesting razor. It looks nice! Hopefully someone will tell you what blades will work.

7. geeeyejo

geeeyejo Active Member

Hmmmm doesn't have any blade stops to keep the blade from moving forward. Not sure how that loose cover would secure any blade from slipping. Is it possible that any piece is missing?

8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  9. Dark Vapor

Dark Vapor Active Member

I believe the razor is intact, no missing pieces. It's a great addition to my collection, but I don't think I'll attempt a shave with it. I'd rather not have my throat slit.
    I'm guessing it used proprietary blades? Anyway, I'm glad to have it. I'll stick with my Gems, Stars, and Valets for single blade shaving.

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I wonder if its a precursor to the Christy.

11. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Nice looking razor.

12. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

It doesn't use a regular SE blade?

I looks like the spine of an SE blade butts against the lip @ the rear,
    and as the collar is slid on,(toward the rear) it tightens progressively
    and wedges the blade against the base.

Super simple! I bet it would be a very good shaver!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
    Mr. Shaverman and geeeyejo like this.
  13. Mr. Shaverman

That's how I saw it too.

14. Dark Vapor

Dark Vapor Active Member

I was thinking the same thing, but standard SE blades don't seem to fit under the collar.

Bristle Me likes this.
  15. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Is the spine the issue ?

16. Dark Vapor

Dark Vapor Active Member

I tried that theory, BigMark. I removed the spine from a Gem blade and it butts up against the rear blade stop lip. The collar slides tight, but the blade edge does not come up far enough to line up correctly with the comb.
    I'm guessing these razors used proprietary blades. Maybe that's why they went extinct, and are virtually unheard of.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

What about fabricating a small strip of metal to act as a 'back shim' for the blade, bringing the cutting edge up square with the comb? Could be an easy fix that makes it drivable.

18. Dark Vapor

Dark Vapor Active Member

Although that's a great suggestion, gorgo2, I don't think I would trust a shim in this razor. The blade tolerance is an issue for me. It's a matter of "so close, yet so far away".
    The razor is a great addition to my collection, and I'm glad to own it. But, I think this one will be seen and not shaved with.

19. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I know nothing about razors that old, but could it be that a DE blade sits there with one edge against that guard? Don't know what would hold it in place though. Could it be that there was a proprietary blade design?