Vintage Gillette aggressivenes

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by banks741938, Jan 17, 2017.

1. banks741938

banks741938 Well-Known Member

is there a sticky or article somewhere that compares the aggressivenes or vintage Gillette razors. I'm just getting into vintage Gillettes after a generous pif I won that included a super speed. I really like that razor but wanted to know where it stood compared to others. Just trying to do some reasearch before I buy my next one. Thanks!

2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

It's a mild razor. A old type is aggressive but it's a 3 piece. In the tto super speed like, the ranger tech and the red tip are most aggressive . The aristocrats are outstanding medium aggressive shavers or you can get a an adjustable.

3. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

If you want the opposite of a Super Speed and (really) have your technique in check, try and a early Single Ring. If not (as indicted above) the Red Tip would be a good intermediate stop off point.

4. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I believe there is a comparison table on the B&B forum site in their WIKI section.

HERM

PLANofMAN likes this.
  5. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Super Adjustable 109 all the way baby! I love my '71.
    :shaver
    Oh yeah, and my NEW SC!

Herm2502 and Linuxguile like this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

IMO the British version of any of the Gillette razors seem to be more aggressive.

AcreLot likes this.
  7. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

To me, the New Open combs have the perfect amount of aggression. Not as much as the old type, but more then any of the closed combs.

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

If '71 is vintage, then I am a fossil.

Agree on the New SC, and the LC.

Herm2502 and RetLEO-07 like this.
  9. RetLEO-07

That would make two of us. Or would you rather "antique" than "vintage".

10. banks741938

I think vintage is the way to go

11. banks741938

Thanks! I'll look into that. Thinking about splurging and getting an above average user grade fatboy

12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That table compares blade gaps, if it's the same table I'm thinking of. Blade gap is just one of the three things that impact a razor's 'agressiveness.'

The other two are blade exposure, and blade angle. As such, that table is useful only as a ballpark estimate of razor aggression. Blade choice is also a HUGE factor in how aggressively a razor shaves, especially in milder razors.

An adjustable razor is a good choice, since it will let you choose the aggressiveness level.

Jim99 likes this.
  13. Streambrewer

Streambrewer Active Member

Interesting question, I would humbly add a few observations of my own:

I would consider a Super Speed about a 4 on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the most aggressive possible. Fairly mild in most cases, there is some variance, and the 46-47 era TTO razors are of different breed entirely, but still medium-ish as well. The '48 and onward Aristocrat/Diplomat/President all seem to be the similar to Super Speeds.

The adjustables are of course variable.

I find the basic three-piece Tech models to be the mildest of the Gillette razors regardless of era. The Old Type are similar to but less forgiving than the Super Speeds, though I do think they hold the blade more rigidly, which I like more.

A single ring in good shape is fairly aggressive maybe a 6.5 or so on the 10 point scale (not the same as the 1-9 settings on the adjustable). Haven't a clue on the Double Rings.

The most aggressive of the US made Gillettes seems me to be the New Standard Deluxe, subjectively a 7-8, and the rest of the New Standards about 5-6 on that scale. A NEW at about the same level

I think the British models vary wildly, with the #58 set and some of the Rockets being very mild, with the #22, #66/70 and the #16 (and whatever its gold variant is) being firmly medium-ish, 5. The #14/15/French set and the Aristocrat Junior at about 6-7; and the #21 as very aggressise, easily the most of the Gillette razors I have tried (I have had two, and kept wanting to like them, and kept finding out that I didn't--ouch).

Hope this helps,

Matt

14. RetLEO-07

Very cogent analysis Matt.
    :happy088:

15. Streambrewer

Streambrewer Active Member

As always, YMMV.

16. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Correct on both points. Blade Exposure is the most important factor, which is never actually advertised in a quantifiable way. Get an adjustable. Very few regreet it.

PLANofMAN likes this.