Vintage Gillette President Safety Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Arty, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Arty

Arty New Member

Hi, I just found this cool vintage razor. Can anyone tell me the best way to clean and disinfect this razor without damaging it so that I can begin using it. More specifically what king of solution? It seems to have some regular use soap build up and a small area on one side that appears to be oxidized. I would like this solution to clear the oxidation as well?

2. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

Warm soapy water and a toothbrush will take care of most of it. If you have some stubborn stuff, scrubbing bubbles will take care of it.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, welcome to the Den!
    Congrats on your find.
    I have many vintage razors, and I've cleaned them all the same way - Scrubbing Bubbles and a soft toothbrush.
    I set the razor in a small plastic tub and cover it with the Scrubbing Bubbles, let it sit until the bubbles are gone, hit it again with another covering of Scrubbing Bubbles, let the bubbles disappear, scrub with the toothbrush, rinse, wipe dry.

The Scrubbing Bubbles does a few things for you:
    Eats soap scum
    Disinfects the razor
    Leaves it nice and shiny

And be sure to sign up for the January Newbie Give-Away!

Forgot to add - do not, DO NOT boil a gold plated razor; while it will clean and disinfect, it will also take the finish off. Scrubbing Bubbles is the safe way to go for all razors.

4. Arty

Arty New Member

Thanks. Will this totally disinfect as well or should I use straight rubbing alcohol as well?

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

As I said, all I've ever used is the Scrubbing Bubbles.
    Actually, germs don't last very long on metal.

6. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Welcome to The Shave Den!
    I use Walmart's generic bathroom cleaner (The green stuff that doesn't foam), just spray it over my razors, add some hot water and let them soak for about 10 minutes, then take a soft toothbrush and clean them off. The soap scum just melts away before but the toothrbush gets stubborn stuff hidden in grooves and tight spots.