Vintage Gillette Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Martin3203, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Martin3203

Martin3203 New Member

How are they? I just won a 3pc on eBay from WWI. Looks to be in great shape, can't wait to get it!!

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Only your face will be able to tell you. The majority of us here use vintage razors of one type or another and get fantastic results. Does that mean you will? Can't say. I sure hope you do. Just do this for us - post up some pics and make sure you let us know how it goes. Ask plenty of questions and we'll all help as much as we can.

alpla444, DLP, CyanideMetal and 2 others like this.
  3. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Great razors. The E's through the J's. Those war years yielded some great razors. Really like the '04's!

4. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Myself I got a whole bunch of vintage and there pretty good. Great quality and performance and there's a really varied selection of them out there. You can probably find just the right razor if you really look. Best of luck with your latest acquisition...

5. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I find my 2 vintage Gillette's shave very well for me. My flare tip is a little bit mild for me personally but I can make it work with a little more care; the Slim Adjustable is fantastic for my uses. I've heard nothing but good things about any of the pre-30's Gillette's as far as their shaving ability. Condition is always iffy due to the all-too-common handle cracks.

6. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

Vintage is the way to go if you want a great shaver for not a lot of money. Modern DEs are nice, but there is just something about the vintage that I'm drawn to. Their appeal is beyond thier shaves.

7. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Ever considered a Red Tip?

8. Neolithium

You betcha. It's on my list to replace my '63 Flare Tip...eventually. LOL. I've spent nearly my yearly budget, within the last month ....WHOOPS

true01, alpla444 and CyanideMetal like this.
  9. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

Why does it need to replace your flare tip? Can't we all just get along!

Somebody call the Department of the Redundancy Department!

alpla444 likes this.
  10. Martin3203

Martin3203 New Member

11. newb

newb Resident Newb

I LOve the Red tip. It's the best SS IMHO. Oh BTW, Love your avatar Sam was the best comedian ever..

CyanideMetal likes this.
  12. CyanideMetal

Thanks and I agree. The Red Tip seems to "hit the spot" for me in terms of comfort and aggressiveness.

Sam is my latest avatar tribute of dead comedians. Like many great comedians, he wasn't afraid to push it. He often said what most folks were thinking.;)

13. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Nice razor should clean up great and give a good shave;)

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Ditto! Enjoy.

15. old okie

old okie Member

I have 5 of the old ball end open comb Gillette both long and short comb. They are about all that I use any more I have 7 other style Gillette razers but I find the 3 Pc. give me a better and more comfortable shave.

16. Hi there,

You know, he could be funny without doing his usual language schtick. Yeah, he was on the Tonight show once and did a pretty darn good clean routine.

I actually saw him in concert sometime in the late 1980s I think. Yeah, he was real popular back in the day and for this show he had his girlfriend or wife with him. Her name was Nikko or something like that and she did some singing if I remember right.

We had seats about 10th row center, which really wasn't the best place to sit for his show. You didn't wanna be singled out by him for any reason, and God forbid you got up during his routine.

Pretty shocking when he passed away suddenly as he did. I always though he woulda made a great radio personality with that unique voice of his.

Martin

Heh, I also saw Dice Clay at his 'prime'. Man, that was a murderous show........he ran outta material after maybe 40 minutes and resorted to singing for a while. Aack!

CyanideMetal likes this.
  17. CyanideMetal

I agree. His "clean" act was often just as funny as his dirty act. Hard to believe he was an ordained minister before he got into show biz.

I heard him several times onthe "Bob and Tom" radio show and he killed. I saw him in a live show once jsut shortly before he died. He asked the audience for someone who wanted to breakup with their boyfriend/girlfriend. A girl came up on stage and he used a phone on stage to call the guy and well....you can fill in the blanks.:D

18. Neolithium

Looks like a beautiful razor, better condition than quite a few you see floating around! Enjoy!

Yeah yeah it was after 0100, so I was a little too tired to type a coherent English sentence ;P TBH if I can get a red tip that will suit my shaving style better I may as well just PIF the Flare Tip I have to someone that appreciates the mild shave it gives.

19. Hi there,

Looks like you got a ball end Old Type. You can find out the exact year pretty easily.

Those are what I fondly refer to as a bloodsucking vampire razor. Yeah, anything with an Old Type head qualifies for that description in my book. One of the more aggressive razors around, and a version that's waaay too much for me to use comfortably.

Now saying that, I should mention these things are extremely popular razors. They shave very close but do require good technique and close attention to detail. Yeah, I wish they fit me better because the shave is really a close one. Just go slowly with short strokes and see how things work out. Who knows, you may end up loving the thing.

Martin

Couple pics of a few Old Types in the arsenal: One's a 1911 Single Ring and the other's a 1919 Bulldog. Never use em and can't bring myself to sell the silly things......sheesh.

Attached Files:

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  20. Martin3203

Martin3203 New Member

So I got my razor today and I'm very pleased with the condition it's in. Tiny stress crack on the bottom of the handle but that's it. Can't wait to use it!!