Vintage Gillette Tech style Razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by m54daboll, Jan 19, 2016.

1. m54daboll

m54daboll Well-Known Member

So a while ago I won @Lyndon PIF where he gave out safety razors. He shipped it to me at school, so I didn't get it until after Winter Break. He shipped me a gorgeous (basically new) vintage Gillette Tech style razor. He said that it was taken from a surplus military survival pack from Canada. It is a beautiful razor and I can't wait to use it. I was just asking for some help out their from the guys that know their vintage razors. Anyone have any extra details or info on this razor? Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

preidy and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Basic, drugstore Tech with an aluminum handle. Good shaver. Since I can't see the top cap, I'll go out on a limb and assume it's a zinc alloy cap with a stamped logo. Late 1960's and on.

m54daboll and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Congrats on winning a great razor!

m54daboll and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  4. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Here is a good location for researching (picture here >) Gillette Tech Razors. I'm partial to pre-war variants 3 & 4 piece with thicker caps and elongated triangular base plates.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    m54daboll and AGHisBBS like this.
  5. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I have one like it with a brass handle. Made in England and the cap has a"Gillette" logo without the diamond. Mine is a 67 "Sportman Tech". - see Mr Razor. Has a nice heft to it and is alittle more agressive than my US Techs. Some also have a alumium handle but I think they maybe travel razors. Is yours brass or alum? What type of Logo on the cap?

AGHisBBS and m54daboll like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  7. m54daboll

No idea about the materials. That's why I'm looking to get more info. On the cap it just has "Gillette" stamped into it, not diamond or logo or anything.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  8. m54daboll

Looking at the article, it looks to me like it is a Ball-end tech, produced after 1962 because it doesn't have the diamond logo. If that is the case, it says it has a Zamak cap

AGHisBBS likes this.
  9. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

A nice acquisition. A work of art. And a fine shaver...mild.

10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    This '64 Tech has a Zamak cap. It is a great utilitarian razor. Light and easy to wield. Enjoy.
    IMG_6081 copy.jpg

11. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

It looks to me like you have a nickle plated brass handle. I have the same razor from the early 70's with an Aluminum handle & the Al is unplated and not as shiny at the head.
    Its a great razor, enjoy.

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Zamac, huh. That explains why the plating on mine is starting to go from underneath.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  13. m54daboll

Overall I'm very happy. It looks great and the knurling is excellent. Not going to be using it tonight, but I'll definitely try it out tomorrow!

AGHisBBS likes this.
  14. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Zamac? Thought they were all brass...

AGHisBBS likes this.
  15. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Over the years, Gillette used increasing amounts of Zamac in the Tech.

Starting sometime in the 50s, the top cap of the nickel=plated Techs started to be made of Zamac. (Reportedly, the gold-plated ones were still brass.) In the early 60s, the entire Tech was made of Zamac. (These are the ones with the stamped "Gillette" on the top cap and includes most of the Travel Tech razors.)

AGHisBBS likes this.
  16. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    So my Z1 date code gold ball end tech w/the diamond logo on the head is a '79 zamac or '54 brass? It's on the right side of my shelf here: http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/show-off-your-den.49259/

AGHisBBS likes this.
  17. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I have a '66 Travel Tech that looks like that. I bought it to pair with an aftermarket handle and it gives great mild shaves.

m54daboll likes this.
  18. Red Rider

Notice the difference here. My pictures in case anyone is inquiring.
    . Tech-City.JPG

AGHisBBS likes this.
  19. m54daboll

Mine looks like the second one from the right. So which is that?

AGHisBBS likes this.
  20. Red Rider

This link here is your best research with regards to Gillette Tech photos. http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/Tech.htm

I prefer the 1938-45 variants prior to "Gillette" being etched on cap. I also do not like the ball end handle variants.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    AGHisBBS likes this.