Vintage Gillette Toggle 1-5 prototype kit - sold for $740

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by CSL, Dec 22, 2010.

1. CSL

CSL Member

2. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

Link fails for me

3. chadstar

chadstar Member

Me too :mad:

4. CSL

CSL Member

5. chadstar

chadstar Member

Beautiful! Fair play to the winner. Hope we see it on the haul :eek:

6. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I had a winning bid of $350 on it until the final 30 seconds. I knew that wouldn't be enough but I tried.. :happy102

7. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

Wow, I had seen that auction and thought about bidding...wouldn't have mattered. Amazing price!

8. RickT

RickT New Member

I thought this would go for about $600 - $650. I have to admit, I've never seen a toggle like this (1 - 5, proto type or not). And the condition was almost mint on everything included!

9. YankeeBoy

YankeeBoy Member

Gorgeous razor...I'd defitely have some explaining to do to my wife :scared001

10. IAmTheJody

Read this on another forum and I'll quote it here because it's worth noting and true: We typically refer to any Toggle with a serial number and a 1-5 adjuster as a "prototype" but that is a misnomer. "Prototype" refers to pre-production pieces. This kit was sold to the public and even comes with a warranty registration card. It was sold beginning Christmas 1957 and ended sometime in 1958. It hit the market again 2 years later in 1960. Production pieces, even if in limited numbers, are not prototypes. What you have here is really Gillette Toggle V1.0, and the more common ones in the blue case with 1-9 adjusters are V2.0.

11. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Wow, the selling price equals one house payment for me, or two car payments.

12. copierguy

copierguy New Member

Greetings and Happy Holidays!

I'm new to these parts....Hello.

I considered myself rather lucky to get it even at the winning price. I had believed this model to be a prototype until seeing this set with a registration card and user manual etc. I was surprised to see patents for the blade dispenser and toggle system but not the adjustable portion of the razor on the back of the instructions.

Any input on this razor would be deeply appreciated.

I see that I do not have enough posts to put up any photos yet...but you can look at my photo album....

13. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

So then they are not all that rare? I have only seen two for sale in the antique stores, one for $15 and the other for $20.

14. IAmTheJody

Welcome to TSD copierguy. Glad to see you're here.

15. IAmTheJody

The Toggles with serial numbers instead of date codes are quite rare. They just aren't prototypes. At least, the ones sold to the public aren't.

16. copierguy

copierguy New Member

Thank you kindly for the greeting.

Sorry if my big splash here is seen as inappropriate. I'm just trying to generate some interest or exposure for this, at least to me, new idea about the Serial Numbered Toggles being once a retailed item. So little if anything is known of these razors. Like when and how many were made just for starters? The latest patent number on the instruction manual is one granted in 1953. I did find a patent that covers many of this razors features and functions, about a month or so ago using "Google Patents" before this one came up for sale, but there is no mention of this patent on the manual which surprises me.

Once again, any input on this razor would be appreciated.

17. copierguy

copierguy New Member

Oops!

Forgot to mention:
    Patent Number 2848806 filed on 11/01/1955, granted 08/26/1958, pertains to a 1-5 Adjustable Toggle Razor. This is the patent I had expected to find on the owners instructions but did not.

18. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

That's a super catch, Tom, regardless of the price. For some reason I'm not surprised. I have never seen one complete with the case. Great.

Best Regards,
    Len

19. staxchipswell

staxchipswell Member

20. copierguy

copierguy New Member