Vintage or Modern, which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BigMark, Jul 5, 2014.

1. kingfisher

kingfisher Active Member

Both.

Used to use vintage exclusively, but now I have a Mergress and an iKon Deluxe OC in my rotation.

However, this morning I shaved with a Tech, and my latest acquisition is a Probak open comb from th 1920s. Use 'em all and love 'em all!

SRNewb likes this.
  2. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I agree, the first one had me literally laughing out loud!

While I like the simple "Yes" answer and mostly subscribe to that, I find myself going more and more to my 1952 Superspeed that I recently picked up, especially with Wilkinson Sword blades. Still love my EJ, and still trying to get a turn with my son's Weber.

3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Modern, I just seem to getter a better shave with modern razors.

4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I think the date code for 63 is I.

5. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Sorry brah but 1963 had the letter I, The letter L is 1966. Here is a Website tat I have used before.

http://www.razorarchive.com/gillette-date-codes

I would like to find a NOS 1983 D3 Super Speed though.

6. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

Maybe some guys just don't have the strength to hold up such a hefty razor;)

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

True—well, there is an alternative….
    [​IMG]

J_Man likes this.
  8. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

I wouldn't wish those on my worst enemy.

No

9. rxd

rxd New Member

I see, so I'm looking for an I1. Thanks.

Not that I will ever find one, but it's good to know anyway...

10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

11. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

I am mostly interrested in the design of the razor, so age doesn't really have anything to say. The standard 3 piece with a knurled handle does nothing for me, no matter how good it is

12. Hiya

Far as I know, there's no razor currently made that's like a Slim or Fatboy. Also, I can't recall any vintage razors having a head design like a Futur or Weber, or Progress, or The EJ/Muhle 89 design or others. All those razors shave differently, and you need to actually try em yourself. I will use a few types of each with very good results.

Martin

13. gemmicro

gemmicro Active Member

How about a 3 piece New Improved that came triple plated in silver? I have one currently. IMHO It is the best looking DE razor ever made period.

14. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

That was a typo on my part. I meant 1963.

15. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

I must admit it has a nice ornate handle, and i wish more makers would take advantage of the space instead of going with the tool knurling :)

16. ButchersHook

ButchersHook Member

I have three razors that I use regularly. Two are vintage and one modern. I used a 1964 Tech for a while then wanted to try modern which for me is a RazoRock Classic TTO that I absolutely love. Recently, however, I have been having very good results with a 1967 Black Beauty. I guess I am torn; like modern and vintage equally at this point.

17. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Modern for me. Contemplating upgrading to ATT 5 piece Kronos.

18. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I find this site to be useful for Gillette razor dating. According to this, the only options for 1983 are a black handle superspeed and a black handle super adjustable.

19. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I go exclusively vintage. Maybe that is because I only own vintage razors. Or maybe I own only vintage razors because that is all I use. :)

20. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

I like both modern and vintage. Each razor shaves differently and that it what is important to me, how it shaves rather than how old it is, having said it that when using an old razor I do ponder the history of the item. But also o do like the shinyness of new razors:)

Boojum1 likes this.