Vintage Personna 74 blades and related prices

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by IAmTheJody, Jan 4, 2011.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Many. Too many to list, some I can't even remember the names of.

2. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

Jody, I may be wrong but it sounds like you have been trying out old carbon blades. That would explain your dissatisfaction with NOS blades. The only ones that equal or surpass current production blades are the NOS stainless steel blades that were produced by Gillette, Schick, Wilkinson, or Personna in the '60s and into the '80s. It is a pretty solid consensus on the shaving forums that those blades are quite good.

3. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I haven't tried these yet, but I did buy a pack today for $35 shipped. Of course, they are throwing in a 54 TV Superspeed and a pack of Gillette Super Stainless as a bonus. :D

4. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

The Personna 74 was the best Injector blade I've ever used. It was given to me by Martin (Shavingidiotsavant) who lives near me. We met for lunch one day and he lent me a bunch of great stuff-including a Fat Boy Toggle. Much as I loved that blade, I couldn't imagine paying more than $1/blade-even that seems excessive. I have a bunch of vintage blades that have come with the various razors I've purchased. None of them have blown me away. I have them in a big see thru container that just looks nice with all of other crap. I think they may be more valuable to me for show than for shaving. The only modern Injector blade I've liked is the Ted Pella-even that doesn't blow me away. The Injector experience is nice for a change of pace once in a while, but that's about it. I certainly understand YMMV and some here love the Injectors.
    I'm still hoping my wife brings home a huge stash of Personna 74's one day. She runs Estate Sales and often brings home shaving goodies.

5. Xezmer

Xezmer Active Member

Holy hell, Rodd! What a deal! :eek:

6. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

Crackpot input

When tungsten is alloyed in small quantities with steel, it greatly increases its hardness and forms tungsten steel that is stable at high temperatures. Modern razor blades dull not from the edge getting bent but from oxidation. Tungsten Steel!!...was a marketing gimick.:D

7. IAmTheJody

I've tried carbon and stainless. In fact, I just purchased some NOS 1980 and 1983 Gillette Spoiler blades from the TSD store. Tried them twice and just can't handle it. Too rough. I've also tried using NOS Schick Krona blades. Same thing. Horrible.

If people are getting 40 nice shaves from a single blade and paying $2, $3, $4 a blade for it, I can understand that. But no way in hades will I ever pay $5+ a blade. Blades were designed to be disposable and for what modern blades cost, I'll stick with that model.

$10 buys me roughly 75 BIC blades that I get at least 6 shaves a piece from. That's 450 shaves for $10. People are getting 40 shaves from a Personna 74 blade - 410 shaves less than me - for the same cost. I think I'm on the winning end there.

8. IAmTheJody

Very nice super duper score! The TV is worth more than that alone. Now you can resell the Personna 74 blades for $50.00.

9. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Thanks! I only bought it for the razor. I bought a case recently and it came with the wrong date code razor. I have been looking for a razor to put in the case, put a low bid in on this, and "accidentally" won. Didn't even notice the Tungsten blades until I got the email saying I won.

10. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

Can these really be worth $50 to $100 ?

I have never bought a vintage blade but have a drawer full of freebies, like these packed with a razor a bought from ebay maybe a couple years ago. They are nos. I thought about trying one but didn't want to break open the package.

Personna_74.jpg

But I agree with Slivovitz. Using a vintage blade is more about the experience and not finding a better blade. That's why I keep sharpening my Kampfe Bros. wedge blades. I'm not there yet but maybe soon.

Len

11. IAmTheJody

That's about what they are currently selling for on eBay Len... $3 to $8 a blade. This listing for $10 a blade would be a new record for them if they sell.