Vintage Razor Suggestions for a Newbie

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jostalli, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Looks like I will be antiquing with the wife and daughter on Saturday. If I happen to run across any vintage safety razors, what are the best choices for a newbie? Any to avoid?

Bobcat, RaZorBurn123 and Slow Joe like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Many look for Gillette's that are date coded to the year and quarter of their birth.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/US_Gillette_Dating_Information

3. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Get a Gillette NEW.

Herm2502 and Bama Samurai like this.
  4. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

When I was a newbie my first vintage razor was a Gillette Flairtip Superspeed. I wish it had been my first ever razor as it was so easy to use.
    To be honest I haven't found any of my vintage razors hard to use.
    Have fun antiquing:)

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

What Joe wrote! Any of the Super Speeds, well except the blue tip :) if you come across a Gillette Adjustable at a good price, pick it up for future use. Also look for an old spice mug, pretty cool to have. Have fun! :)

Slow Joe, ObiDon and dscaver like this.
  6. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

get an injector. They are the easiest safety razor to use for a newbie and are so comfortable you might be a Schick head for life. It doesn't hurt that they are usually cheaper than Gillettes. Watch out for the GEMs and Ever Readys too.

HoosierTrooper likes this.
  7. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

I would look for a 3 piece Tech. The head geometry of those are absolutely fantastic and can be used with a sharp blade to rival an aggressive razor. Very "adjustable" and versatile.

Much easier to me than a TTO. You can also use the head on another handle with great results also.

Bristle Me likes this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Many good suggestions so far! All with merit.
    I will go ahead and pile on with my recommendation on the Gillette SuperSpeeds. They seem to be in abundance on the antique store or online auction market—many at very reasonable prices. Easy to use, too!

Shotwell, Bobcat, Slow Joe and 2 others like this.
  9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

As Kevin said all the above answers are good suggestions. Any Gillette in proper working condition is a good buy IMO and capable of giving you a "GREAT" shave! The trick is getting one that works with your face, whiskers and technique. Unfortunately/fortunately(depending on how you look at it) the only way to do know for sure is to get a couple and see how they work for you.
    So in the tradition of giving advise here at TSD. I'll give you my suggestions.:)
    First off before you go shopping take some time and check ebay to get a feel for prices, don't forget to include shipping.
    Adjustables:
    All the Gillette adjustables are great, I own all three(Fatboy, Slim and Super Adjustable) the prices many times are the killer with them, so let that and condition be your guide. Keep you eyes open you may find a really GREAT deal antiquing.
    TTO's:
    I prefer the 47-50 Aristocrat, because they tend to be the most afforable. However any of the 40's- 50's Aristocrat family(Aristocrat, Diplomat and President) are really good razors. They are like a Super Speed, but with a little heavier Bull Dog type handle.
    3 piece razors(Solid Bar):
    I'd suggest a Fat Handle Tech. They are plentiful and usually affordable. Give a shave comparable to an EJ89.
    3 piece razors(Open Comb):
    The 1935 "NEW" LC is another favorite of mine. It gives a shave IMO comparable to a Cadet OC IMO.

Those are my suggestion remember go online and research any razor you want to buy to familiarize yourself not only with prices, but also with how the razors looks. Read any reviews you can find also.
    GOOD LUCK and have FUN on your trip!!! :happy088:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    Bobcat, Slow Joe, ObiDon and 2 others like this.
  10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I thought vintage razors were all old?
    yeah, thats what I say, get an old one.
    seriously, everybody needs a slim.
    except headshavers, they like fat handle techs.
    they are all good, just grab one.(of each, works for me)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Late '40s Super Speed. Possibly the best of the best.

[​IMG]

Bristle Me and Shotwell like this.
  12. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Couldn't agree more, look for a good injector, a GEM/Ever-Ready/Star 1912 or a Micromatic.

fram773 likes this.
  13. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

I disagree with Platoon about the Gillette New. The Gillette New, to me, gives an equivalent shave of a Tech. It's not nearly as aggressive as a Cadet OC.

14. Robster the Lobster

Robster the Lobster New Member

It depends on personal taste. I had been looking at websites and researching DE razors for a while. I happened to find a Gillette TTO that was dirty, but in really good shape, for $6.00 at an antique store. Then, by chance, I was in another town and found a Gillette NEW short open comb for $12. I liked the look and history of Gillette, so that's what I have been buying. I haven't used one yet though :(

15. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

My strategy for antiquing is to find anything that I don't already have and is in decent condition or is a particularly nice deal; then I'll buy it. Antiquing has been hit or miss for me and really it took a while of before I found any deals.
    Even if you find a deal on a razor you don't necessarily want there is a good chance you can trade or sell it on the boards for one that you do.
    I would suggest checking out ebay and some BST ads on the boards so you can see what the various razors look like & sell for. That will give you an idea what a good deal is and isn't.
    If you find something and are unsure of just snap a picture of it and ask us here.

Good luck and have fun!

Bobcat likes this.
  16. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

ANY old Gillette would be great. I have an Old Type, two Fat Handle Techs ( nickel and gold) three Super Speed Blue Tips, three Super Speed Red Tips, a couple of T.V. Special Super Speeds (one was my Dad's) and a Fat Boy and they all give as good or better shaves than any new razor I ever tried but with the added cache of some history. I also use my Dad's old Schick Krona as well.

17. FlightMedic

FlightMedic Well-Known Member

Judging by recent ebay trending any working vintage razor you can purchase for less than $10 will be worth grabbing. If you have a smart phone and are unsure what you are looking at or what is a reasonable price then keep a few browser pages open to ebay, Mr. Razor, Razor Archive, and of course TSD (especially the newbie vintage razor thread with pictures). These will not only help you identify the model and year but then type it into ebay and organize your search by Ending Soonest and Buy It Now options only. Keep in mind that razors selling for less on eBay also have to be shipped so add that to the price.

Shotwell likes this.
  18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Buy them all. You can hardly go wrong unless the razor is broken. Clean it up and shave with it. If you don't like it, send it to me.

19. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

My recommendation for a new wet shaver is a Schick Krona. Great razor, easily spotted at an antique show/store, and you can often find them for under $10. The real advantage is that they are very mild, and darn hard to cut yourself with but deliver a great shave. I'm PIf'ing one of these to one of my best friends this weekend.

My second choice for value and a great shave for a newbie (keeping in mind I am also a newbie) is a 40's era Super Speed. Fantastic razor that is built like a tank, and has a very classic look to it.

20. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Or me :p

Bristle Me likes this.