Vintage Razor Suggestions for a Newbie

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jostalli, Oct 21, 2014.

1. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Gillette super speed
    Gillette tech

2. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the great input. We will see if tomorrow proves fruitful.

3. Since you are going in person it gives you a great opportunity to really inspect the razors. Multi-piece razors should look equal on both sides. Bars should not be bent. Combs should not be bent. TTOs should open and close nicely. Adjustables should move through the full range of settings. GEMs should open far enough to get the blade in and close firmly. Handle cracks on injectors should be avoided. For the most part plating loss isn't a big deal if the price is right, you can always get an all metal razor replated if you desire. Good luck on the hunt.

4. Jostalli

Well came home empty handed. They had a few open comb and SE - They did have one nice looking gold tone Gillette Regus for only $16. Started to bring it home but passed for now.

5. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

REG.U.S. means Registered with he U.S. patent office.

6. Jostalli

Well I am a newbie :) - but a bunch of people have them listed on ebay as a "Regus" so I guess I am not the only one.

Thanks for the info Mark

BigMark likes this.
  7. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

We almost all started there, that is why this is such a great place. Enjoy the ride.:git:

Jostalli likes this.
  8. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

I'm late to this thread, but....you mentioned they had a few open combs.
    MHO, but ANY Gillette DE, pretty much, would be a fine starter razor. That includes open combs like the New, Deluxe, etc. Heck, even an Old Type I don't think would be too bad. People talk about the difference in aggression between open and closed comb Gillettes, but for the most part, although I am sure there are exceptions, most any Gillette non adjustable DE is not going to be anywhere near the aggression of some of the newer razors. MHO, but a LC or SC New with a good middle of the road blade, like an Astra SP, would be more than suitable to learn on. I'd take a look at any Gillette razor, open or closed comb. If it's in good shape and the price is decent, I'd grab it. Again, MHO.

9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Sorry your expedition was a bust. :( But there is always next week and of course ebay. Now is the time to be doing your research online. Read any and everything you can about razors both vintage and modern..:)

10. Many times it is better to come home empty handed. While sometimes a good deal may slip away, empty handed allows you to look online for what you did see. A little research and you can make a better determination if the razors they have to offer might be something you would like.

Shotwell likes this.
  11. Jostalli

Well after church today, the wife decided she did want an item from the Antique store. So I went ahead and bought the razor since it looks like it is in pretty decent shape. I am no expert but it appears that it is a Gillette Tech with the ball end handle. Based on another thread here on The Shave Den since it has on the base plate: "PAT.NOS.ON.PACKAGE" It was made between 1946 & 1949 - If anyone has any other details on the possible date, I would love to hear it. - Here are 3 pictures.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Sweet! Beautiful Tech that should shave well! Good move!

13. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

That tech is hard to beat!

You've got one of the best!

14. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

Nice tech. Congrats and welcome to the fold!