Vintage razors for a newbie

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ob1page, Feb 10, 2016.

1. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Hello all. I am wanting to make the switch from disposables and I'm looking for advice. For starters my facial hair is somewhat coarse and my skin is sensitive. I also, if it matters, have a mole on my chin, it isn't large and barely protrudes out but it is there. I am interested in a vintage razor because of the craftsmanship, quality and nostalgia. I have narrowed my choices down to a 68 Gillette Knack, a 67 Gillette black handle Super Speed M3, a Schick adjustable injector type M and an 52 Gillette black tip Super Speed X1. Which of these would be my best bet. I have been shaving for 20+ years but I know I'm going to have to start all over again and I want to put myself in the best possible situation. Thank you for reading.

2. ob1page

I should also mention that I'm not necessarily opposed to a new razor if that would be a better choice but I'd like to keep it under $40 if possible.

AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

There are so many vintage possibilities, it is hard to narrow them down. I have used any of the ones you have listed, so take it for what it's worth, but I found the flare tip SS to be one of the better razors out there. The Ball End Tech razors are also very good. Either of these can be found at pretty good prices.

AGHisBBS and ob1page like this.
  4. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

If you are OK with a new razor, then I think the Razorock Mission makes a decent starting razor. It comes with 20 blades, I think, and is $20 from ItalianBarber.com.

5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'd say a slim, but you mentioned a super.
    your going to have to shave around any moles that protrude.
    the black tip gives a nice shave, is very easy on the skin as well.

6. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Of the ones you mentioned the injector would probably be most similar to what your used to. My personal pic from the list would be the Black Handle SS. Good luck and enjoy.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Anything by Gillette.

AGHisBBS, Jayaruh and ob1page like this.
  8. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

For a coarse beard, I'd recommend the Gillette super-speed red tip or "heavy" This is more aggressive then the standard super-speed. Any of the adjustables would also be a good bet, as you can "dial in" your preference.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    RyX, Karl G, AGHisBBS and 1 other person like this.
  9. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

An adjustable can present many different shave opportunities because of the settings and are easily had for less than 40 duckets. :)

Segafan#1, Karl G, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  10. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

The Schick Adjustable with a twin blade would be very smooth as well as very efficient at whacking those whiskers. :happy088: Super easy to use as well.

AGHisBBS, macaronus, ob1page and 2 others like this.
  11. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    A fine example ball end tech can be had around $10 (mine was mint for $8). Step up to $40 - $60 and get a fatboy, $30 - $40 for a slim or a Super adjustable.

Karl G, AGHisBBS, ob1page and 2 others like this.
  12. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Of the four options, I'd personally choose the Black Tip SS. It will be a smidge more aggressive than either of the two other DEs. The Knack and black handled SS will perform similarly as they have identical heads (I think). I shy away from injectors, I have a few but I am always left wanting after using one. Blade choices are few with injectors as well.

Karl G, AGHisBBS and ob1page like this.
  13. ob1page

Thank you all for the advice, I'd hate to buy the wrong one and get frustrated and go back to disposables but it sounds like any of these would be better than what I'm using now. I guess I should just try one and if it doesn't work try another. I'll eventually find the right one

Karl G, AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  14. swarden43

The hunt is part of the fun of what we do here!

15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Zwhs.png The Schick Krona is a great razor for a newbie, too.

ob1page, AGHisBBS, macaronus and 2 others like this.
  16. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

Slim adjustable.

ob1page, AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  17. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

A plain old ordinary flair tip Superspeed, would be IMHO the easiest vintage razor for a newbie to use. It's light and easy to move around.

ob1page, AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  18. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Bite the bullet and get an adjustable. Is there anyone on here without one?

ob1page and Robyflexx like this.
  19. Old VThippy

Old VThippy New Member

I would add "from Tech and newer" to that.

ob1page likes this.
  20. swarden43

Sorry. You lost me.

Jorvaljr and ob1page like this.