Vintage vs. Modern...

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Primotenore, Apr 19, 2017.

?

Do you prefer modern gear or vintage?

1. The older the violin, the sweeter the music...

37.0%
  2. If it was made before 2016, I am not interested...

2.2%
  3. I swing both ways... ;-)

58.7%
  4. What's vintage mean?

2.2%
  1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I would if it appealed to me.

2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Yup - and a lot of people would probably just say "But I can get a beat up vintage NEW for less than $25".

I guess someone could jazz up the handle. Now, handle market might be a better market to go for. Single item, easily done on a CNC lathe without having to do milling - just the one drill/thread.

I did figure that a NEW Standard would take approximately $50 of coin silver to manufacture.

RyX and jimjo1031 like this.
  3. jimjo1031

There'e another thread on here about the Feather AS-D2 razor. It's selling price is $139.00, even though being stainless has appeal, it's still a copy of the Gillette Tech. But on the other hand, if a similar razor being made of stainless would sell for 1/3 that price, it would appeal to me because Techs are great shaving razors and having it in stainless is a plus. Just my opinion.....

Jim99 likes this.
  4. Bookworm

well, the 300 series stainless is easier to machine than others, but brass is easier than that. Tool wear is a big deal in the CNC business.

RyX and Eeyore like this.
  5. Bookworm

Looking at the Feather AS-D2, if I were copying an old design, as I said, I'd copy the NEW. _maybe_ the post war fat handled Tech, but not the base tech. EVERYTHING copied the base tech :) (also, perhaps, the New Standard or Single Ring)

jimjo1031 likes this.
  6. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I don't care what anyone says, in my personal opinion some but not all modern razor brands charge ridiculous prices, some reaching over $500 now I find it very hard to believe they can justify charging prices like that. Especially when they buy the metal in bulk and of course buying anything in bulk lowers the cost.

There is nothing wrong with someone buying a $600 razor if it makes them happy, but myself I just can't justify it, if a $10 vintage razor shaves great I highly doubt that the expensive modern razor shaves 200x better.

What it all boils down to is the quality of the shave, they can wrap the thing in gold leaf and use a handmade cardboard box with a silk bow, but people will justify just about anything. If It makes you happy more power to ya, but artisan soap makers that use top quality ingredients and fragrances are not charging hundreds of dollars for their products (accept Creed, and a few others, but they have to be either greedy, on drugs, or both lol)

I understand the metal will cost more than soap ingredients but there is only a small amount of metal being used in each razor, so much of it is hype, usually justified by the presentation which most people just throw the box away anyways lol. Plus I remember many people complaining about the plate loss issues on a certain expensive razor named after a bird. But i will say that they are cool looking, but for that price, the razor better last decades without any issues. Just IMO, everyone is entitled to think what they wish.

Jim99 and jimjo1031 like this.
  7. jimjo1031

A stainless New would be nice......

8. SHAVEWIZARD420

I also don't have cable. Never paid a cable bill in my life. Have a $20 entenna and pick up a bunch of channels that come in nice and clear. The downside is no internet, but that's what the phone is for lol.

9. Bookworm

That's true, but if you read through my layout, the material cost was only a third of the cost of the production.

10. Bookworm

I'm an IT consultant. No fast internet = no business at home.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  11. SHAVEWIZARD420

Oh yes I agree that raw materials are not the only cost in making anything, there is labor, equipment, etc. But if I can get a modern razor from Maggards or Razorock (some of them) for around $30 I still don't understand how they can produce them for $30 while others charge $300 for example (some are even more than $300). So producing a good machined heavy razor can be done for a fraction of the price.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  12. SHAVEWIZARD420

Lol I don't quite understand, I'm on the phone and I have been responding to your messages almost immediately, soon as I can type a response.

Jim99 likes this.
  13. Bookworm

Razorocks, the ones I have seen in person, are relabeled Baili. They're heavily zinc, which means they are cast. Brass razors aren't cast - they're machined or stamped. Radically different processes. Even the Weishi is a 'copper alloy' - aka a form of Zamac. timeless is probably a good one to look at for more 'realistic' pricing, although excessively customized, I think.

Yes, but when I have to update four computers at once, that would quickly eat the bandwidth of my phone, if I was even able to connect them TO my phone for updates.

14. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

And you take over the screen of three servers you are managing at the same time? While checking in a new version of your scripts in github?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  15. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Analog TV and radio are rapidly disappearing here, also limiting what you can pick up from the air with an antenna (without a special decoder). Both Netherlands and Belgium have switched to digital only already for TV, and radio will follow in time.

16. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Y'all can shave with formaldehyde and phenol, I'll opt out.

17. Bookworm

You're not really up on biochemistry and plastics in general, are you?

18. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Theyre comparable. In some ways, I feel that modern razors are better simply because blade technology nowdays is better and razors are designed to take advantage of that.
    Ive owned quite a few vintage Gillettes and I dont find that they shave any better than any modern Merkur or Muhle razor that Ive owned.

19. Bookworm

Hm. I wouldn't say that the blade technology is better. In fact, I would say that it fully matured in the 1970's, and there have been little to no changes since then. Perhaps some incremental changes, but nothing obvious. This is partly why Gillette abandoned it. There was no way they could find to make themselves stand out enough for people to want to pay them a premium above the other brands. The rotary head electric razor I purchased to keep in my glove box (battery operated), has the SAME type of heads as the electric razor my father used in the 1970's. The disposable razors I looked at in the store today were almost identical to those I saw used in the mid 1980's. The cartridge razors? Well, they've gotten more blades, so that they can eat your chin and nose better, but that's it.

It may be my faulty memory, but I thought Merkur was using the same design patterns as they used decades ago?

20. SHAVEWIZARD420

That really sucks that the option for an entenna is not there. Here in Detroit I pick up around 30-40 channels with just a set of rabit ears. If the tv is a older model we have to get a converter box, but with most newer flat screens just rabbit ears pick up quite a few channels.

No HBO or Cinamax, but cable around here is somewhere around $100 a month, so i buy DVD' s or VHS tapes when there is a movie or show I like that cannot be viewed without cable.