Vintage vs New

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by whispers76, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

Holy CRAP, Batman!! So, my grandfather, fighting in Flanders, in France, in 1917, was likely issued a DE Kit?! (He fought for the Nova Scotia Highlander's from Canada; a replacement Battalion for The Black Watch).

The things I can still learn!!

jtspartan likes this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yeah ok '03. Sold 51 razors.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

3. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Or he might have been issued an SE kit, such as an Autostrop. They got Canadian military contracts too.

jtspartan likes this.
  4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Ouch! Flanders is in Belgium. The region in France you probably mean is called Picardy.

(There is also Flandre Française, but that has been French since the 17th century, though it still keeps the Southern Flemish identify alive).

5. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

Yes, sorry.........Flanders, Belgium. Good catch! Thanks!

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have a auto strop that I think is a WWI set. It is awesome!!

I also have a set from 1918 but it does not say military set. No mirror just a plain OLD and blade box in a metal case.

Screwtape likes this.
  7. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

I'm sure some expert in here will correct me, but it would seem like they really haven't done much in the way of improvements to a double edge razor since the early days

8. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Near Perfection, simplicity of design, and completeness of need are hard to, one up.

9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

It's been totally figured out since 1959 (Fatboy era)

Linuxguile likes this.
  10. whispers76

whispers76 Member

That is the same conclusion I've come to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linuxguile likes this.
  11. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

And that was when they added the twiddly bits to make it adjustable - basically adding the curlicue decorations to the icing on the cake.. The cake itself -- the plain old three piece non-adjustable DE hasn't changed in any essential way since its introduction in 1904.

Jim99 likes this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Fanboy :)

1930s - Apollo Mikron, Gillette Aristocrat/Tech, Gem Micromatic, Schick E.

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That goes for single edge also. Once you get to a point it is all window dressing.

Screwtape, jmudrick and Jim99 like this.
  14. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

You can start with either one, vintage or modern, to learn traditional shaving. The Merkur 34C is a good razor to start out with, as is the Jagger 89, and almost any vintage. Once you are comfortable shaving this way and you know you will stick with it, you should then try other options. I started with the 34C, then when I was confident I got a Muhle R41 (only recommended for experienced shavers), and also acquired some Gillette old and new type open combs. I then added some high end modern equipment. I could get good shaves with all of them and there was a coolness to the old razors, like I was shaving with history. The design of those eighty and ninety year old razors is still the basis for my expensive new ones. Having said that, I found that I preferred to shave with the modern razors. I eventually sold the Merkur, Muhle, and Gillettes and now have a rotation of four razors. All of them are modern and high quality. The only negative for me was the prices and I got over that. The ones that weren't getting any use went to people who would use them or who collected them. Keep in mind your technique with the blade is not the only thing you will have to learn. You will need to master creating a good lather if you want a comfortable shave, no matter what razor and blade you choose.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Screwtape and whispers76 like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

If you're saying I am a fanboy, you have much research to do.

16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Just kidding (note smiley face), I simply can't resist any opportunity to take a swipe at the F-Boy. (easily confirmed with very little research required).

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Bama Samurai likes this.
  17. Talneharus

Talneharus Well-Known Member

Well I'm still new to safety razors. Only one I have at the time of this reply is a Van Der Hagen I picked up at Wally World. How ever with sites like this even if you buy vintage sites like this should be able to help you if you think it's a dud. So I say go for what you want! I got a 1959 E4 Gillette Fatboy on its way!

whispers76 likes this.
  18. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

If you are looking for a solid performing vintage DE then start with a Gillette Tech. They can be found for $10-$20. I would recommend staying away from the overpriced collectible DE razors (eg. Fatboy) because they are, quite simply, overpriced. Demand and scarcity have driven prices sky-high. The Tech is a splendid piece of engineering that will provide the user with a lifetime of near perfect shaves.

For a modern DE...the Internet is your store window. You will find almost all of them shave in the same way. What you are paying for is style and design. They are all solid performers. Pick your price range and click "Complete Purchase". Since you are new to DE shaving I suggest you pick one razor and use it for a while...avoid making a lot of hardware purchases in the beginning. That will come in time.

19. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I agree with @BamaSamurai - the Weishi is a good solid performing TTO. You can get it with a short (standard) handle, or with a long handle, and several different coatings/colours. You can get it for less than $10, including shipping, from a number of sources.

Baili razors are also good performers, but I'd say _slightly_ less than the Weishi. Mostly due to the metal being a bit thicker, so you don't have quite the same flexibility with angles. Other than that, as Razorock are just relabeled Baili (many of them), you won't really go wrong, and they're inexpensive.

Going vintage? I'm finding that the 40's SS is the better performer, even after 30 years of using a black handled SS. Any of the Tech line will work well as a three piece, they're easy to clean, and they're readily available for not much spondulix.

Get one basic razor, get some basic good blades (Astra SP seems to be a good solid performer for just about everyone), and learn to use it. There are some designs that seem to be better than others for certain face types, but you can get a decent shave from just about anything once you've practiced. (Thinner heads seem to be slightly better at getting under the nose at a good angle, for example.)

*shrug* They're all blade holders. Get one of the mainstream models, and you won't really go wrong, no matter what the brand or age.

20. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

For a beginner, the Schick Krona is excellent, in my opinion. Instantly correct blade angle (otherwise it won't shave).

Bookworm likes this.