Voskhod blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tito catson, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Every stainless steel blade is comprised partly of chromium. Voskhods don't have an additional chromium coating as far as I'm aware. They're just stainless steel with a thick Teflon coating. Silver Blues are also just stainless steel coated with platinum and Teflon.

Bama Samurai and Linuxguile like this.
  2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Your face is the best arbiter of whether or not a particular blade is for you. And that's the fact Jack!

Demidog likes this.
  3. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

True - stainless steel has chromium as part of the alloy known as stainless steel. Iron ore, chromium, nickel, silicon, manganese and nitrogen, plus a lot of heat is how you make stainless steel.

Demidog and RetLEO-07 like this.
  4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I don't think GSB's have a platinum coating, just Teflon. This is what distinguishes them from the Gillette Platinum.

5. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I just have three blades left to test of a total of 30 brands: Rockwell Swedish Stainless, Rapira Stainless, and the Personna Lab Blue. My top 5 blades so far are all Russian: 1st is the Polsilver Super Iridium, 2nd is the Astra SP, 3rd is the Voskhod, and tied at 4th and 5th are Ladas and Rapira Platinum Lux. Those rankings are very close - except for the Polsilver which I thought was quite a bit better than the rest. I could shave for the rest of my life with anyone of these blades. I'm getting real close to pulling the trigger on bulk purchases of the blades.

wristwatchb likes this.
  6. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I'm excited to try Voskhods for the first time. I just purchased a quantity of them on eBay for less than 8 cents each, including shipping. I should receive them in about a month. I also have some Polsilver Super Iridiums on the way. I'm long-time user of Feather blades, but I've begun using Astra SPs and Perma-Sharp Supers lately. I like all the Russian blades I've tried so far.

Col C likes this.
  7. RetLEO-07

Voskhods are up for the first shave of 2017 on Monday. The boys from St. Petersburg had their shot last week(7 o'clock Green). I was impressed. We'll see how the boys from Moscow do this coming week!

wristwatchb likes this.
  8. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

The 7 O'Clock yellows are in my top "excellent" category as well. They ranked just a bit lower than the five blades I mentioned before - but still excellent. I didn't have the "greens" in my sample. I may well order a few more individual blades from Try A Blade, in the near future, just to keep experimenting.

wristwatchb and PickledNorthern like this.
  9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Have you tried Nacets? I ask because we seem to have similar tastes in blades, and Nacets rank right up there with the Polsilvers for me.

Also a heads up if you didn't know: Polsilvers are rumored by several vendors to be discontinued shortly, if not already. Phil from Bullgoose Shaving says he has purchased the last he will be able to get. If you want bulk, get them now.

10. RetLEO-07

I only have experience with the Greens and they worked really well in my SA-109. They seemed to like the more aggressive settings, i.e. "8" and "7"(I was too chicken to go to "9") I'll let you know how the Voskhods do.

Col C likes this.
  11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That rumor has been around for at least ten years now. Polsilver always seems to be perennially on the verge of being discontinued. Much like Williams soap, come to think.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  12. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I know. I think this is the third time I have heard it make the cycle. And normally I chalk it up to Urban Myth and forum panic. But this is the first time I think I have heard it coming from vendor/s? I haven't paid a ton of attention, because I have more DE blades then I will probably ever use in my life.

If a guy wants to stock up, it doesn't hurt. The prices definitely aren't going lower right now.

PLANofMAN and Robyflexx like this.
  13. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I have tried the Nacet blade. It too is in my top category of excellent blades.

Robyflexx likes this.
  14. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I've got quite a few Volkhods and find them decent. I do find Feather, Astra, and 7 O'clocks are preferred. However, every face is unique, so I advocate trying many different blades to see what works best for you.

Sent using Tapatalk

wristwatchb and Col C like this.
  15. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I was on the West Coast Shaving website checking their prices for blades. They say the Polsilvers are still going to be made but are undergoing a repackaging and marketing change - but still the same blade. I don't know. Seems like almost everyone still has quite a large number in inventory - so I'll probably by 100 or so just to have in case. I tend to be a hoarder at times. I reload ammunition for my firearms competition. I have so many rifle and pistol primers I could outfit the US Army for the next decade. I think I'm going to have the same tendency towards shaving blades.

wristwatchb and lightcs1776 like this.
  16. CliffDweller

CliffDweller Well-Known Member

That is the same message that was put up by the ebay seller who sold me my Polsilvers. It makes a lot more sense that they're re-packaging and changing to a new distributor than they're discontinuing altogether. And, it's good to have the mystery solved. I bought 400 blades a few months ago based on those rumors/rumblings. Don't regret it a bit -- I feel the same way you do & don't mind keeping a bunch of extra blades around.

wristwatchb and Col C like this.
  17. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I just received a shipment of Polsilvers from http://www.polsilver-blades.com . Can't wait to try them. :)

18. Dirtbuddy

Dirtbuddy New Member

I have a 100 lot of Voskhod sitting at my office that got delivered over the holidays. Looking forward to giving them a go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    Robyflexx likes this.
  19. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I only used one Polsilver Super Iridium blade one time but it was great. Very close and very smooth shave the first time. I have rated it at the top of the almost 30 blades I have tested. But again - that's with my face, my beard, and my razor (Merkur 34c).

Matt0210 likes this.
  20. RetLEO-07

Okay, I did my first Focus shave of the new year this morning. It was to find a blade to use in my SA-109. Voskhods were up. I had a 3 day growth, so I dialed the BB up to "9". WOW. Mowed down that growth, no problem. The real test will be tomorrow when the growth is stubble. I'll keep ya posted.

Dirtbuddy and Col C like this.