Voskhod blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tito catson, Apr 16, 2016.

1. banks741938

banks741938 Well-Known Member

I have tried several blades 15 -20 types and always come back to voskhod blades... can't beat them... at least for me anyway.. The

Col C likes this.
  2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Since I decided on Voskhods for my '71 SA-109, over the weekend I pulled the trigger on a 100 blade purchase. PAA had 10 blades for $1.99. So after I finish my NEW Focus my rotation will be set. EJ DE89 with Shark, SA-109 with Voskhods and NEW TBD. That is all.

Col C likes this.
  3. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

When I went through my sample pack of blades I used my Merkur 34c for all testing. The Voskhod was one of my top blades and I have already received a bulk order of them. This past week I started using a Muhle R89 for the first time. I first tried the Astra SP which worked great in both razors. The Voskhod which was great in the Merkur 34c was just so so in the Muhle R89. I guess I will have to remember which razors like which blades.

PLANofMAN and jtspartan like this.
  4. RetLEO-07

I currently only have 3 so it's easy for me to keep track. Come spring if I get lucky at the fleamarket I'll add a fourth. Then it'll be a spring Focus for me!

5. mlys7884

mlys7884 Well-Known Member

Here is original vintage Voskhod made in end of 1970's, one of the most popular blades in Soviet Union

Attached Files:

PLANofMAN and RetLEO-07 like this.
  6. RetLEO-07

:signs021:
    Have you tried those puppies out?
    I sense a comparison shave coming?
    Whatta ya say?

7. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I had the same experience with Astra SP's and Voskhods in my EJ 89 (same head as your Muhle I believe). The Voskhods, in that razor for me as well, don't have the same results as the Astra. Great blade in other razors, IMHO.

8. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Good to know others have the same experience. The Muhle R89 is the same head as the Edwin Jagger D89. Between the two razors I prefer the Merkur 34c. The Muhle's handle is very slippery when my hands are wet.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  9. mlys7884

mlys7884 Well-Known Member

Yes, I've used these blades...in my opinion shaving is even smoother than with contemporary same named blades, but it keeps sharpening little less time.

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  10. RetLEO-07

My 100ct of Voskhod's showed up in the mail today. My SA-109 will be locked and loaded!
    :happy036:

Col C likes this.
  11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Excellent blades, for the money.

12. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

My main order of blades should arrive in the next couple days. The UPS tracking system says they are to be delivered Monday - we'll see. I have some more Voskies in the order along with about an armor division's worth of steel spread over about 10 different blades.

13. RetLEO-07

I'm really looking forward to using the Voskhod's in my SA-109. I'm half hoping they come out on top for my NEW also.

14. Marc Bagwell

Marc Bagwell Well-Known Member

Hello
    Voskhods are very smooth, and a good blade, but not nearly as sharp as an Astra SP. I tried voskhods but went back to my Astra greens. Voskhods are still great blades. Hope that helps

15. Marc Bagwell

Marc Bagwell Well-Known Member

I think he means smooth. Maybe? Anyway, my beard needs something sharper than a voskhods. I'm an Astra SP man like you, Steve