Voskhod Blades.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Legend In My Spare Time, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

You want me to bad mouth a blade, OK.

My least fave blade:

India-produced Wilkinson

2. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Thanks. Yes, i found that while googling about the blade, because, if that shop had it on stock today, i would have ordered it. Alas, it doesn't, so i will order from my usual shop other brands. Unfortunately, the Russian who invented the word Voskhod, was probably full of vodka. He wanted to say Voshkod, but he messed up his tounge and he said "Voskhod" instead. And here we are, centuries later, having to live with the conseguences of alcohol... :happy097:

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

One of my go-to blades. They work very well in all of my razors.

4. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Nonsense. It's just that it's of exotic origin and you need to improve your technique to use it. :happy097:

5. Bama Samurai

Voskhod, Ladas and all the Rapira variants are from the same factory. I find the edges all to be similar; coatings being the differentiating characteristic.

6. Bama Samurai

Poor QC was what I noticed. Variance bothers me more than dull.

7. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Funny, i 've read similar reports about Derbys. Things like 4 dull blades in 1 tuck, or 1 tuck dull, 1 tuck sharper, in the same 100pack. I 've also read in a local forum someone who found a Treet Platinum sharp from one edge and dull from the other, on the same blade.

8. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Frankly, my fav shop doesn't have any of them (only Astras from Russia). I think the other one has Rapiras, but i want Personnas and Sharks too, which are much cheaper in my fav shop, so i may as well get from them. Plus they have like 1/3 the shipping costs... In some future, if i concentrate many items i want from that other shop, to worth the price difference, i will include some of the russian blades too.

9. brit

brit in a box

yep, i called them voshkods too at first.voskhods, gsb and astra sp are my most used,all work well for me.

10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Voskhod today, very smooth shave with a Barbasol Floating Head. So smooth that i feel shaved at 330p. 20170424_091208_resized(1).jpg

11. bdalemauger

bdalemauger Active Member

I tried 3 of these blades with no luck! Lots of tugging right out of the gate, like using a dull Derby! I prefer feathers or my new favorite GSB, had to try them after reading the positive reviews but didn't work for me.

12. Bama Samurai

You're a fast learner.

13. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I have these ASR blades I picked up at Home Depot. ....

14. Bama Samurai

MAYhem is coming up in the 30 Day Focus......!

15. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I suppose that could be a possibility, because I remember coming up with a few at some point from someone, and thought they were on a par with the other blades I listed. When I ordered a 100 it was quite a different story. I've given some away already to some nearby friends that don't have tough or thick beards.

16. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I knew Ladas and Voskhod were sister blades, but I have found Ladas to be the better blade for me. Apparently the coating on Ladas agrees with my skin/beard.

17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I like both blades, but the Ladas blades do seem a little smoother.

18. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

So, maybe there should be another blade competition, and have a Ladas night?

19. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

I also got a 5-pack of some Ladas in my sampler pack. If they are so similar, I might give them a shot after a few shaves with the Voskhods, just to compare.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  20. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

These were one of my favorite all around blade, when I tried many different typed of razors. I was able to buy several hundrend, for around $5 per 100, shipped. Excellent razor for the money.