Voskhod Teflon Coated vs Rapira Platinum Lux

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Razor Blade 79, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Razor Blade 79

Razor Blade 79 Well-Known Member

Im looking to add a great Russian blade to my den. Ive got a pack of each of these and so far Voskhod is gaining my favor. Could it be that teflon coating is better than platinum?

2. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Both fantastic blades! Rapira PL are my favorite (bought 300 the other day!) I find that they are the best combo of sharp and smooth. Astra SP and Voskhod are basically tied for me. All excellent blades. As you know YMMV. Best of luck choosing the winner.

3. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

:signs011:

I like Astra SP, Feather, and Voshkod as well, but Personna is right up there for me (red and blue). But as always what works on your face best is the one for you.

4. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

I like the Voskhods better than the PL, the Voskhods are smoother for me. But I tried a Rapira Swedish Supersteel recently and it seemed even better than Voskhod. But YMMV.

5. Razor Blade 79

Razor Blade 79 Well-Known Member

I've used Astras before but for me Voskhod and Rapira PL are better. I do love that Voskhod is a clean blade meaning no glue or wax dots on it. I will say Rapira PL is slightly sharper but Voskhod is way smoother for me. I've still got 4 of each blade left to keep testing.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  6. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Also, to directly answer your coating question (apologies if you are already aware - just want to clarify as it may be confusing for new members reading the thread), Platinum blades are not coated with actual platinum. The description platinum simply implies that something has been done to "improve" blade. For example, Astra SS (blue pack) have no coating and Astra SP are coated (coating will vary from brand to brand), but it is not platinum.

Norseman and dscaver like this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Both are super blades! Try Ladas Super Stainless they are a great blade. YMMV of course.

Norseman and LookingGlass like this.
  8. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I have and use both the Voskhod and Rapira Platinum Lux. I also have and use the Rapira Swedish SuperSteel. All three perform very well for me. Personally, the Rapira Platinum Lux seems to do a tad better for me, but not by much. I can easily get 4-5 good shaves out of each of them. Try a 5-pack of each one and chose for yourself.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

For me, the Voshkods are my go to blade. I have a small inventory of Rapiras as well as Astra SPs, Baiilis, Ladas, Feathers, Gillette Yellows, Blue Birds, Personna Reds, Derbys, etc. All are very good blades and give good shaves. Although I primarily use the Voskhods, I still use the others on occasion.

Ed

RaZorBurn123 and Bobcat like this.
  10. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Voskhods are one of my favorite blades. Not a fan of Astra's at all. I haven't tried Rapira but have some to check out.

Bobcat likes this.
  11. Mr. Shaverman

Thanks to this thread I tried the Rapira Platinum Lux last night and tonight. They are going in the PIF pile... No bueno.

12. Ladas Super Stainless.

LookingGlass likes this.
  13. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Too bad. Blades may be the most YMMV product we use.

BigMark, Mr. Shaverman and Slow Joe like this.
  14. Mr. Shaverman

Yeah, I think blades are. It's always good to try new ones.

Bobcat likes this.
  15. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Does someone know if the Voskhod's are discontinued?

eBay over here is void of them...

16. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I found the Voskhod blades serviceable, but not great, and the Rapira PL blades were uncomfortable. Strange for me, since usually I will get along with coated blades better.