Voskhod Users

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Mitch, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

Question. How many shaves do you folks typically get (comfortably) out of a Voskhod blade before you change out?

2. Everett

Everett Well-Known Member

I get 3-4 out of them. For the price, I could change them every shave and be happy.

I just did the rough math, and if I shave on average 4 times a week, with a new blade each time, thats still under $30/year. Cartridges, I'd care not to think about the cost of those :p

3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I got 7 comfortable shaves with mine.

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I normally go 4 shaves with a blade.

If I am bored and wanting a change, sometimes I change after less usage.

dadvest and CyanideMetal like this.
  5. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I average 5 to 7 on one blade depending on how lazy I've been and not shaved for more days than normal. Sometimes I shave every other day, sometimes I don't shave for 3, 4, 5 days so the blade does extra work on those and that's when I only get 5.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  6. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I typically get about 5 shaves per Voskhod blade. I could even go a couple more and still get a good shave, but there is a little tugging at that point so I change it.

7. tuco99

tuco99 Well-Known Member

For me it's 3 after that the quality drops off,I could go for 4th but at their price point I don't bother.

8. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Typically I use them for three or shaves, depending which razor I am using them in. For instance in my Fatboy or my old style open comb I go three shaves. Other razors I can get four shaves from them.

They are one of my favorite blades.

9. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

One, by choice...

10. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

When I first started using them, I could get 6 great shaves in my Star 3-piece, I tried a 7th and it was ok, but not as good as 1-6.

Now that I pretty much only use the R-41, and the fact that we have over 2000 Voskhods on hand, in addition to various other blades, I only use a blade three times, just because that is the way I am now.

11. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

Good stuff. Thanks for the glimpse into your shave routines. Thanks to fishcrow I'm on the Voskhod's now and enjoying them! I noted that I got 3 good shaves but the 4th for me was a bit uncomfortable. I agree with the much said about price point, that's a factor for me. Up to now Wilkinson Sword has been my fave but I very much wanted them not to be because I can never find quantity deals on 'em. The Voskhod is about just as good as WS for me and a much kinder price point. But I do plan to keep on sampling though because I've turned into a hobbyist.

12. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

Have any of you found that your face takes a few days to get accustomed to a new blade when sampling? It might just be my technique but I've found that when I switch things up often my first couple tries with a new blade is a tad uncomfortable but then often than turns around. The first time I used Voskhod I had some discomfort, but now they are smooth as silk! Don't know if I made small changes to my technique and didn't realize, or if my face just needed to adjust? Thoughts?

13. Everett

Everett Well-Known Member

In my experience, the major thing is technique. Now that I've been at this for over a year and a half, I find I can usually tell how the blade will be for me after the first shave. I use it 2 or 3 times, then try a second blade, in case I get a bad one.

14. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Depends on the razor. Anything other than the R-41 I can get 6 really good shaves. In the R-41, I'm averaging 4-5 shaves no matter what blade I use except Wally Wilkies, then I get 3 if I'm lucky.

15. Akula

Akula New Member

After trying out these blades over the last couple days, I would say the first shave was a little rough (I had a few weepers) but then 2, 3 and 4 were very nice! Of course, judgement based solely on this case, and will come back to share after I tried a few more!

16. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

I just gave it another go and same as last blade. Shaves 1 & 2 are beautiful, but shave #3 still cuts well but just a little bit of face irritation. But as previously stated, this probably won't steer me away from 'em since they are such a bargain. My other go-to blade is Wilkinson Sword and I can get up to 5 comfortable shaves from that blade before switching out but they cost 2x as much too. Shrug.

17. aubug

aubug Member

I usually get 6 or 7 (2 pass shaves) from each blade

18. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

For me, its 3 and out. Have done up to 5 shaves with them, but quality does drop for me after 3. With several cards of these and others on the shelf, there is no longer any reason to push beyond 3 shaves.

19. stonyloam

stonyloam Well-Known Member

#3 DFS tonight, so I am a happy guy!

20. Glasstream15

Glasstream15 Member

Well, I can't really answer that question. I just got my Voskohds, thanks so much Jody, and I have used one in my GoodWill 3 times. I will use it again today and that will probably be it. Wednesday, didn't shave yesterday, I thought I noticed a slight tug so I guess that will be it.