My Journey to the dark side

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Vlasta, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Hi Chaps and Chapettes,

OK - I am almost there.... except my razor is still on its way from Japan. I am all kitted up with:-

• Edwin Jagger Best Badger Brush
    • Feather PG15 and Pro 20 blades
    • Geo. F Trumpers Lime Cream Soap
    • Alum Block
    • Proraso Repair Gel
    My razor - a Feather SS Japanese Straight Razor in Lime is in the mail from Japan and due any time!!

Now - in the meantime I am using all the above good kit with a cartridge razor - a Gillette Mach 3 - you know it is OK for a nanny-razor and with my new gentle technique - no more razor burn!

My question is this: I have been trying to use my non-dominant hand for the left side of my face to prepare myself for the day my straight arrives, and the dominant hand for my right side, and I am finding it difficult to control the razor with the non-dominant hand. Tell me, is there any compelling reason why I should use my non-dominant hand?

2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'll let others better practiced answer, but I'm asuming the angles will be more natural if you dont have to reach accross.

3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

If I only did straight up and down passes, it probably wouldn't matter. But when trying to do ATG and cleanup, there are areas where I can get a better angle if I use both hands.

There isn't any hard and fast rule. Obviously there is some initial awkwardness, but as you get more familiar with it, you will develop your own routine.

There are a lot of pretty dedicated shavette and straight guys in the 30 day focus group. There is a lot of good help lounging around in there. You should check it out:

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/february-2017-30-day-rule-focus-pix-discussion.54421/

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm a right hand only, all three passes, str8 shaver. Been so for ever since I started 7-8 years ago. I'm very pleased with my results.
    I know Glen aka @gssixgun is, as well, and he's been at st8s a WHOLE lot longer than many of us!

5. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I use my right hand. It's really quite easy for me to get everywhere by simply changing my grip a little.

As you know your particular razor of choice is very difficult for a beginner to learn on. It's a a formula 1 race car. If I might suggest you go very slowly and make firm deliberate passes correcting angle and making small movements on your cheeks only for a while. Save the neck and other trouble areas for later and shave them with your disposable. Then after you have a bit of practice on your cheeks do a single pass with your disposable in the trouble areas and follow it up with this razor. It might save you some discomfort. This razor will cut you without you noticing and it's hard to learn a new razor if it burns you and keeps irritating you as you try it.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I only use my right hand as well. I think WTG on my left cheek and XTG on my left neck might be easier if I had learned with my left but I can't say that for a fact - although I keep thinking I should try someday. :happy088:

7. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

I use both hands to shave. As a newbie though, I stuck to only using my strong/dominant hand to shave. Once I got to where I was completely comfortable with dominant hand shaving, I started doing baby steps with my other.

Good luck and enjoy

8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I started out using only my right, and tried using my left hand once. Too dangerous for me. I've been using straight razors exclusively for over 7 months, and have no issues with angles, or anything, by just using my right hand.

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I find using two hands during the shave considerably easier to achieve a good angle. Can I shave with just one hand? Absolutely. Are two hands necessary? No. How one decides to shave with an SR is a personal preference. However I have found that by using two hands regularly has allowed the transition to a traditional kamisori-style (stamp-side out) shave far easier due to the developed skill in my non-dominant hand. I know this reason alone isn't a compelling rational for most, but being competent with either hand in shaving is, at least to me, worth the effort.

10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I was encouraged to try shaving with both hands starting out a few months back. Surprisingly, I found initially, I was more proficient with my non-dominant hand. Today, I find using both hands as second nature. I would encourage to at least give it the old college try. If it doesn't work out for you, keep looking for what works for you. Starting with your current set up is a great idea:)

For what it's worth, I always shaved with both hands, even when using carts.

11. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    If I were going to learn again from scratch, I would at least try both hands :)

But
    This ole'dawg is done learning new tricks, after 36 years now of using only one hand to use a SR, I can tell ya it is possible :p

12. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Yeah but look at what it's done to yer face :shocked003:

13. ohbrian

ohbrian Well-Known Member

For down strokes I use right hand for right side and left hand for left side. But when I shave using up strokes I tend to use the opposite hand it just feels more comfortable.

14. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

That is exactly what I do. It works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15. RyX

RyX DoH!

By trade and training I'm a wood butcher (carpenter). Some tools are now built for lefties. Being left handed, living in a right handed world I've learned to be somewhat ambidextrous. When using a straight, or more recently a shavette, WTG with either hand came easily. ATG less so with my off hand. Set your mind to the task & take your time learning.

16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I'm new to SR shaving too, but I am trying to use both hands if I can. So far, so good. I just go slow and pay attention.

17. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    One Handed Me..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

twhite, Spyder, swarden43 and 5 others like this.
  18. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Two handed me..:)
    image.jpeg

twhite, Spyder, swarden43 and 5 others like this.
  19. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Both hands here.

20. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I am ambidextrous but only use one hand. It is what works best for me, but I use a smaller straight ,and prefer shavettes because I find it easier to shorten them. What ever works best for you is all that counts.

twhite, RyX, Spyder and 4 others like this.