My Journey to the dark side

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Vlasta, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I am a bit scared now by the comment above on my choice of razor for a first purchase..... should I also buy a proper str8 and start learning with that before trying my Japanese Feather? I went to a local shop today and they have a nice Dovo 5/8" with Olive Wood handle for $310 - is that a good deal?

2. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    mmmnnnn - $310 is over priced - is a Dovo a good choice though? I can get one from eBay for about $130

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  3. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I have to agree with @Carbide Mike here. I am also ambidextrous, but I prefer to mostly use my right hand to straight razor shave. I am not sure why exactly. My best guess is that I typically adapt whichever hand to do the task most efficiently, and since my towel holder/towel is on the right hand side of my counter (for wiping my blade), I just use that hand to complete the task.

The point being...just go with what works. In the words of @swarden43 , "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."

Carbide Mike, Karl G, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  4. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Dovo is a great brand. Don't overpay. Get one off eBay or from some like @gssixgun or @HolyRollah on here...that way you know it will be properly honed as well

5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I didn't think it possible but I learned to shave with both hands. When. I started I tried it with just one hand but I could not get then angles right. To build muscle memory I used a CJB shavette without the blade. I started with just my cheeks WTG then slowly added more as my skills developed. I can't imagine shaving with just one hand now.

Carbide Mike, Karl G, twhite and 2 others like this.
  6. Keithmax

Dovo is a good brand but don't BU it off the bay, but from a seller you know will send a properly honed razor. I bought my Dovo razors from http://www.thesuperiorshave.com also check out https://straightrazordesigns.com/

7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

:signs011: This vendor puts the razors to the hone before sending out. Your razor will be truly ready to shave. His prices are unbeatable and the price of honing is included. You can get a Dovo best quality for right around $75. I love my Dovo.

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Popular misconception that a shavette is a training razor to learn straights. While they may have similar form factors they shave different. You can draw blood with either, but it will happen differently. The disposable blade used in a shavette can dip, poke, & slice quickly due to the thinness. Straights are just a bit more forgiving. You get a fraction of a second warning that you're about to perforate your epidermis. The grips and general motions may be similar, but if you desire to shave with straights you can skip shavettes.
    (Just my experience. Yours may vary.)

9. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I noticed you are in Hong Kong, if you get a razor that needs honing please let me know I will connect you with a good SR friend of mine who is over there, and can hone very well :)

Carbide Mike, Karl G, Vlasta and 5 others like this.
  10. ohbrian

ohbrian Well-Known Member

In my limited experience I'd have to say I agree with you. I didn't get a feather to work my way up but I wanted one. So so very easy to cut yourself. I can't quite put my finger on why but to me the straight razor has proved to be way more forgiving and leaves me with zero irritation. I've shaved with a regular straight razor every day for the last 2 weeks and have never nicked myself once. Still beating myself up for not doing it sooner.

11. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks!!

12. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Right.... ordered a Dovo str8, strop, strop pastes, Dovo storage pouch from www.thesuperiorshave.com - all for about a hundred buck less than my local store.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  13. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

C'mon man! We need more information! What razor and stop did you end up with? Jarred will put a great edge on your razor. You'll have a great baseline for what constitutes a nice edge :happy088:

Carbide Mike, RyX, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  14. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    He He!!
    • Dovo #4580 Straight Razor
    • Dovo 185-35001 Strop
    • Dovo Yellow Paste
    • Dovo White Paste
    • Dovo 9022021 Burgundy Sheath

Carbide Mike, Keithmax, RyX and 3 others like this.
  15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Great choice! Now don't forget we need pictures :D

Vlasta, Carbide Mike and RyX like this.
  16. Keithmax

Awesome, Jarod is also very international shipping friendly.

Carbide Mike and Spyder like this.
  17. Keithmax

That is a good looking looking razor, the spine work and gold makes this a show queen.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  18. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    For friendly read FREE!!! - perfect!

Carbide Mike, Keithmax and Spyder like this.
  19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Enjoy!
    Christmas in February....
    :santa

Carbide Mike, Vlasta and Spyder like this.
  20. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

For what it's worth, I shaved for 7 or 8 months with a DE razor, then went to a Feather AC for a month. I did an ATG pass on my first shave with it, and never looked back. It's a great razor that needs respect. I am now mostly a straight shaver, but if you need any help, please stop by the 30 Day Focus thread. There are a lot of us with experience with the Feather shavettes, and with straights.