WalMart Wilkies?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by lowjeremy, Jun 8, 2011.

1. lowjeremy

lowjeremy New Member

Has anyone tried the WalMart Wilkerson sword blades yet? If so, opinions?

2. JAWilliams

JAWilliams Member

3. lowjeremy

lowjeremy New Member

thanks for the link James, very helpful!

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I finally bought a pack last weekend. Someone on that other thread said the first shave could be rough so I ran it through my trusty Twinplex first. I couldn't tell any difference between it and most other blades I try...smooth enough for me and no nicks. Am on my 3rd shave with that blade. So far I'd say, shavewise, it's a better deal than Dollar General's 5 packs.

5. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

It is a fairly standard blade for me. Nothing special or very bad. It works better for me than a Dorco ST 300 (the usual rebranded blade in most stores around here). It is about equal with Derby's, ST-301s, Crystal, etc... for my shaves.

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have also tried them, but at the Wally World near me the packaging has changed from the slide dispenser to the white box. They may not be the same blades?

I tried the slider pack and they were okay. Nothing for me to get excited about but better than paying for high dollar cart's!

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Locally, mine come in a black slider box. Interesting that the chain would stock at least 2 different dispensers but I'd guess they're the same blades? They're probably burning thru stock of one and will eventually go with the other.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, welcome to the Den!

If you can get 'em, try 'em. That is really the only way if you're going to know if they work for you. Opinions are great, but actual personal use is the only way to know for sure.

9. ehehat

ehehat Active Member

I've tried them and have some pretty decent shaves. Not as good as my new favorite, Astra SP but still quite usable for me but YMMV.

10. SmoovD

SmoovD Member

I find the Wilks serviceable. They aren't Feathers but I have found them better than ASRs they replaced.

11. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

My local Wally's is not carrying any DE blades anymore. I didn't care for them anyway, it's much cheaper to buy good blades in bulk any how.

12. They are excellent in my Futur and my Slant--and have become my go to blade.

It seems they work fine in razors that manipulate the blade ie..Adjustables and slants---in my 38c ----not so much.

The paper wrapped blades seem to be better than the ones that came in the plastic/metal slider before.

13. Brian

Brian Active Member

I like them, they seem to do pretty good for me in my vintage Gillettes. The cost is not too bad. I'd say give them a shot and see if they are right for you.

14. ourlastdefeat

ourlastdefeat Member

I have some of those. They're the only name brand DEs around here. They work fine for me so I've never really had to test any other blades. So try them, you might like them.

15. jcwit

jcwit Member

Give then a try. I did, then I returned them, W/M has a satisfaction guarantee.

16. Synack

Synack New Member

I like them because they're cheap and locally available.

One thing I noticed after going through a few packs of them -- the first few strokes are always pretty rough and then it gets considerably smoother. Not sure if you just need to scrape off some sorta oil/grease coating used for shipping.

Definitely a decent blade though.

17. ourlastdefeat

ourlastdefeat Member

And here I just thought that it was me being a newbie:D...hmmm I'm going to see next time I put in a new blade if some hand stropping before I shave will help.

18. Billr

Billr Mix Master Mighty White!

I take them with me when I travel. Mostly because I like the packaging. The new blades come out of the top and the used ones slide in the bottom. No fuss! I do hand strop the blade before using and in between shaves as well. They do not really last for more than a few shaves for me. Not a bad blade though.

19. cryhavoc

cryhavoc Member

They are a decent shave in my Short Handle Tech, and can't beat the price and ease of Wally World. Better shave than the Lord Plat. for me but not as good as a Derby. YMMV:signs015