Wanting opinions on stainless steel razor purchase please!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bistro, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Bistro

Bistro Member

I had been going back in forth on purchasing either a Feather AS-D2, Rockwell 6S, Oristo, ATT R1, Ikon OSS, among others not listed. Well after much research and suggestions from others I purchased a Rockwell 6S. I was excited to get to use it and looking forward to its arrival, however, once it actually came in I was disappointed with the quality of it. It had some quality control issues with the baseplates warping the blade and the safety bar on another warped also. So at this point I am sending this back and getting a refund. So long story short I would like your suggestions on what razor would you spend your money on?

20170113_190518_LI.jpg 20170113_190338_LI.jpg

Razors I currently own

1.) Murker 34C
    2.) Murker 37C
    3.) Murker 38C HD
    4.) Ikon B1 Slant on bulldog handle
    5.) Ikon X3 on SE handle
    6.) Ikon Open Comb Deluxe
    7.) Hone Type 15
    8.) Edwin Jagger DE89 on Heavy Handle

Attached Files:

Carbide Mike and RyX like this.
  2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Muhle R41 V1.0

Just revisited the Mekur 39C, and am still stuck on the R41.

Neither are stainless steel; so this reply does not count.

Robyflexx, Matt0210 and Carbide Mike like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

This sounds like a techno question for @Darkbulb

CarlfromMO, Bistro and Carbide Mike like this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Does your Rockwell 6S have 'Rockwell' stamped on the side of the head? If not it's the troubled v1 of the razor. v2 have 'Rockwell' on the side and is of significant better general quality.
    In the photo below, left to right; Rockwell 6s v1, Rockwell 6c, Rockwell 6s v2.
    [​IMG]

Matt0210, PLANofMAN, Herm2502 and 2 others like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

6. Asafiev

Asafiev Member

Out of the options you listed the ASD2 / Oristo have the best build quality.

7. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I have been spending way too much time researching stainless steel razors. I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on the Feather AS - D2. Do it!

Carbide Mike and Bama Samurai like this.
  8. Asafiev

Asafiev Member

I own an ASD2. It's everything you need and nothing else. Minimalistic, quality, unique. I love it.

9. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

The Edwin Jagger still uses the Muhle head, I believe. The only fixed head razor I use -- though infrequently -- is the Muhle R89 Grande, which is very well constructed and a fine razor. It likely has the same head as the EJ you're considering. I don't know about the rest of them. The AS-D2 looks spectacular, though, and has great reviews.

10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'd go with an Oristo!

11. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Thanks for that tidbit. Nice to know.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    RyX likes this.
  12. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Obviously an opinion, but I would ask for a replacement on the Rockwell and give it another go. Your example seems very rare if not almost non-existant. My next suggestion would be ATT. Since your list of potential purchases seems to run the board in terms of efficiency/aggression, the ATT would give you the flexibility of changing your mind if you aren't happy with the R plate. It is also easy on the pocketbook to piecemeal grow an ATT into a combo set and then a collection.

All of them are good choices. Have fun with whatever you decide!

Robyflexx, Carbide Mike and RyX like this.
  13. Bistro

Bistro Member

Thanks guys.....! Yes it is the version 2 and I'm not sure the quality of Rockwell is what I could get from Oristo, ATT, or Feather. Not saying its bad, but I have some iKons's that are also mim and have much better fit and finish compared to the Rockwell. The Rockwell probably shaves great, but I would like something that shaves great and looks great too!

RyX and Col C like this.
  14. Bistro

Bistro Member

RaZorBurn123 you have both correct?
    And you would go with the Oristo given the choice?

It honestly will probably come down to the Feather or Oristo at this point unless someone else has a suggestion not listed here that is in the same category as these.

Others I have looked at

ROCNEL DOUBLE EDGE RAZOR MODEL DE-P
    [​IMG]

Timeless Razor
    [​IMG]

15. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

When in doubt - buy them both.:)

Bistro and RyX like this.
  16. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of adjustable razors, so I would see if Rockwell will correct the issue. Even if you decide to purchase a different razor, you could sell the 6S to recover some of the cost.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Robyflexx likes this.
  17. pbrmhl

pbrmhl Well-Known Member

I have ATT stainless razors, as well as the PAA DOC Evolution and Wolfman in stainless. My answer would depend on how aggressive you want your shave to be. My PAA is much more aggressive than the others, while my Wolfman is relatively tame, even though mine has the blade gap increased to .74mm.

I'm curious why you've passed on the Timeless? That will be my next razor.

18. Bistro

Bistro Member

I really haven't passed on the Timeless I just don't know that much about them and doesn't seem like very many have one to get their thoughts on it.

19. pbrmhl

pbrmhl Well-Known Member

I've only read great things about the Timeless. I like that you can choose between two blade gaps, milder or more aggressive. The build quality is supposed to be unmatched, although I've never seen one.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  20. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I would pick ATT out of what you listed. I have the m2. It's hard to beat. I just got a Blackbird, which I like as well, but it's a little aggressive for me as a daily razor. It's nice for when I skip a day though.