Wanting opinions on stainless steel razor purchase please!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bistro, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

As Asafiev says above, the TR2 is coming out shortly with slight modifications vis-a-vis the TR1 (which was produced in a very limited number and may be hard to come by). @theunnamed might chime in.

If you're looking at Timeless, I say go for the Open Comb. Smoothest I've come across, more akin in feel to an SB and exceptionally efficient. Miles ahead of ATT's pointy teeth. The one with the biggest gap (.95) is too much for some, but the smaller (.68) is virtually as efficient but a lot gentler. Top craftsmanship on all accounts, in design and material. And the Timeless guys are great to boot.

Asafiev and theunnamed like this.
  2. theunnamed

theunnamed Well-Known Member

The TR-2 will be ready in a couple of weeks. I am again behind the schedule because of some unexpected circumstances. As @Halvor said, there are some slight modifications on the razor but wont effect the overall efficiency in my opinion.

Asafiev likes this.
  3. Bistro

Bistro Member

You don't happen to have a picture of the new model do you? One that you have finished as of now.

Asafiev likes this.
  4. Shave Monkey

Shave Monkey Well-Known Member

Hi Bistro - I know the handle for many seems to be a turnoff. The looks of the handle to me is not an issue on most razors. I look more for practicality. The Oristo handle, even though has shallow knurling, provides a great grip with the indentation. I haven't tried but imagine it's standard threading to allow you to change the handle if you wish.

RaZorBurn123 and Asafiev like this.
  5. Shave Monkey

Shave Monkey Well-Known Member

Asafiev beat me to it.....great job- as I don't have a scale! :)

Asafiev and Bistro like this.
  6. theunnamed

Unfortunately not yet, I couldn't find time to polish it.

Asafiev likes this.
  7. Bistro

Bistro Member

Can you tell us the price point it will be at?

Asafiev likes this.
  8. theunnamed

Probably somewhere between $170-$200

Asafiev likes this.
  9. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

The AS-D2 was my number one shaver for quite a while until I got my Rockwell 6S v2. I like mild razors and I found my perfect shave with the Rockwell #2 plate. It is similar in efficiency to the AS-D2 but for me it is more comfortable and forgiving. It is hard to get irritation from the Rockwell, but I can get irritation from the AS-D2 if I am careless.

So, I love the shave from my Rockwell razor, but do I love the razor? That's a harder question. It looks and feels like an industrial tool, with a dull gray finish, corners and edges that are a little rough, exposed blade ends (why?!), and it is heavier than I would like.

The AS-D2 is perfect in my hand, it is pleasing to the eye, I like it better in almost every way! But when I compare them based on performance alone, the Rockwell wins. Sigh...

clint64 and Asafiev like this.
  10. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Member

Wow. The price on that is pretty high. The last price point on the mamba was $130. Hopefully it be that at the rerelease.

Another consideration, if you are willing to wait, is that Stirling will be coming out with an all stainless steel razor sometime this summer. Rod says he hopes to keep it around $100 or less.

11. Bistro

Bistro Member

The price on their website is in Canadian dollars

The Sheen Model for $199.00 is actually $150.oo US
    The others for $249.00 are around $189 US

Asafiev likes this.
  12. Bistro

Bistro Member

I email Razorock about the Black Mamba and this was their response.

Yes, we are working on bringing back the Mamba and hoping to have it ready in maybe 6-8 weeks, if all goes well.
    We have made some improvements over the last version which we are excited about.

--
    Have a great shave!
    The ItalianBarber Team

RaZorBurn123 and Asafiev like this.
  13. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

14. Gabe

Gabe Well-Known Member

How aggressive do you like your razors? I love the Ikon OSS. I also enjoy the ATT M2. I have not read a negative review about ATT quality. They are machined to perfection. I polished mine to a mirror shine. I just think it looks better.

Of the ones you mentioned, I would go with the ATT, Ikon or Oristo. I do not have an Oristo, but they made the Black Mamba. I am usually weary of new companies, but its not like this company is starting from scratch. I do not know about the Feather as most consider it mild. Some even too mild.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  15. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. waffen

waffen Well-Known Member

Well I'm saving my pennies and gettn one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PickledNorthern likes this.
  17. sky pilot 83

sky pilot 83 Active Member

I'd email rockwell and send them pics. They have good customer service and will probably send you a replacement for free
    info@rockwellrazors.com
    Or just go here on their website and drop them a message and they'll respond.
    https://rockwellrazors.com/pages/contact

My 1st rockwell 6S had an issue with a baseplate being super tight. But it works fine. Since then i got a second one. I'll have to check it out tomorrow when i swing by my apartment to get the mail. The second one appeared fine. Is it just that one base plate or all of them that warps the blade?

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk

18. sky pilot 83

sky pilot 83 Active Member

Come to think of it, on my 1st rockwell, it was the 2-4 plate that was super tight... I got mine from IB, where'd you get yours from?

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk

19. Bistro

Bistro Member

Straight from Rockwell

20. Bistro

Bistro Member

I think I'm going to go a different direction. I have already received a refund. I'm just not sure what direction it is yet......ha!