Wanting opinions on stainless steel razor purchase please!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bistro, Jan 14, 2017.

1. sky pilot 83

sky pilot 83 Active Member

Well if i were you I'd drop them an email and get you a free replacement. It's a great razor, worth every penny. Even if you just want your money back they're the kind of company who'll want to know about the issue so they can correct it.

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk

2. Bistro

Bistro Member

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

3. sky pilot 83

Lol now you got me wondering about my new in the box rockwell 6S sitting on the shelf at home. I can't wait to go get it tomorrow to check it out now.

4. sky pilot 83

Oh, and bistro, i almost forgot to mention. Recently i found an all stainless steel DE razor, LESS THAN 15 DOLLARS... I'm unaware of the quality of the shave but i plan on ordering one at the end of my buying hiatus to try.

I know many will scoff at the price thinking it must be junk. But the fact of the matter is that this razor's country of origin has a dirt cheap cost of living, an outrageously cheap labor force, and also has materials available for pennies on the dollar. So there is a good chance this razor will provide the same quality as a more expensive razor at this low cost. The company manufacturing them is worth millions in american dollars but they mainly do business in Asia, and that realm of the world but not ours.

I'm not mentioning names because i do not want to start a frenzy. However once i get mine and review it I'll put out all necessary info on whether it's a worthy piece of equipment or if we should treat it like the plague...

5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

There are lots of razors, with heads usually originating from India that are sold as SS. Most of them turn out to be a Zamak head (EJ clone more often than not) on a stainless handle. Either way, you will almost certainly get your money's worth just for the handle, and have a decent shaving razor for your collection.

Maybe you caught a unicorn, but I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. You should post a pic, at least after you order, if you are worried about availability. I think most of us here are pretty familiar with buyer beware. And we promise not to tell anyone else about it.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  6. sky pilot 83

Oh after i order I'll do a full written and video review for YT. i was looking closely at the head and indeed i saw machining grooves and marks. So maybe i did catch the unicorn. I did email the manufacturer and they confirmed that on the 3 or so i asked about, the heads and all are steel. Now i jist wonder how to tell the difference between zamak and steel???

& ur right about the handle. And they got about 30-50 different handles available. Some are very intricate and lovely, others are more basic, and everything in the spectrum is there.

7. sky pilot 83

Once i get it we may have to do a pass around.

8. PickledNorthern

If it is machined it is not Zamak. But honestly, that makes me even more skeptical. If you found a MACHINED SS razor for $15 then you really did reach the end of the rainbow. Even the first Rocnels were being sold at $50, and they didn't stay there for more than a couple of weeks. I hope it works out for you. I am sure people would want in on a passaround for that.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  9. sky pilot 83

Well here's a pic of one I'm looking at. Not crazy about the handle but i do like it and think it's interesting. If you look at the baseplate the hole in it has very clear grooves it it that appear to be machining marks, also a couple can be seen on the edge of the cap. [​IMG]

10. sky pilot 83

Remember 15 dollars to us is like 100-200 for them.

11. PickledNorthern

It is different looking. The marks could also be from drilling the hole, and wire wheeling the cap after being molded (if it was injection molded), to prep for plating. It is hard to tell from that pic, but either way, you have a find. I will be watching to see what you dig up. Thanks!

sky pilot 83 likes this.
  12. Bistro

Bistro Member

I would just to make sure!

13. sky pilot 83

We just ran and got it. It appears fine.

14. sky pilot 83

That is setting 2, giving you those problems correct?

15. Bistro

Bistro Member

It's both plate 1-3 and 2-4. The picture is of plate 1-3 on the razor and 2-4 of just the baseplate. I didn't check 5-6 because I was disappointed that those slipped through QC.

16. Bistro

Bistro Member

I don't know if you have seen this or not, but Fendrihan has their own brand of Stainless steel razors that are $39.95

• 100% stainless steel head and handle are durable and strong
    • Industry-leading price point
    • Open-close comb head gives you two choices for shave
    • Hand-polished for beautiful and long-lasting finish
    Most safety razors on the market today are made from cheap alloys that are light, brittle, and prone to breaking. Until now, fully stainless steel razors were the sole domain of the wealthy, commanding prices into the hundreds of dollars. Fendrihan’s new stainless steel razor is not only affordable, but revolutionary as well.

With a combination open-close comb head, you choose the shave. Do you want the forgiveness of the Merkur 34C or 38C? Use the straight bar guard. Feeling more adventurous? Turn to the open comb side for a shaving experience akin to the Muhle R41 or the Joris razor.

Lifetime warranty*
    Weight: 3.92 oz (111 g)
    Length: 4" (10.3 cm)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

The Fendrihan looks to be metal injection molded, but hey, it's gotta be better than alloy or Zamak heads.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  18. PickledNorthern

They have been out for over a year, and you hardly hear a word about them. Reviews weren't so hot at the outset, and there was a pretty lukewarm at best writeup on Sharpologist.

http://sharpologist.com/2015/12/fendrihan-razor.html

I'm guessing it was maybe sort of a flop?

Robyflexx likes this.
  19. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I just ordered a Mühle Rocca.

20. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Don't forget the listed price is in Canadian dollar, I bought the Oristo Stealth last night for $198 USD. I really like the customer service the folks at Stashed and Found have, I've been in contact with them a couple of times and received a prompt response.

Col C, PickledNorthern and clint64 like this.