Wanting opinions on stainless steel razor purchase please!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bistro, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Bistro

Bistro Member

I had looked at the ikon oss and considered it. The only think holding me back is I already own 3 other ikons and thought I might try something else. Do you have any other ikons besides that?

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I have been looking at the Oristo as well. I was looking at the plain stainless steel the "sheen" as they call it but it and one of the other colored razors are out of stock. They hope to have them back in stock in about 4 weeks. But I may just go ahead and order the "stealth" (which is in stock) as you did.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  3. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

And it arrived yesterday

[​IMG]

Spud, Carbide Mike, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  4. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I have a Fendrihan Scientist (all models have the same head, just different handle designs). It's a very solid, well-constructed razor. No wavy blades, warped baseplates, or anything like that. But it's also an aggressive razor. I think someone who likes the Muhle R41 will love the Fendrihan; someone who likes Gillette Techs will hate it. And both open and closed comb sides are aggressive.

I haven't used my Fendrihan much yet - I plan to do a 30-day Focus with it in a couple months, but I found I could get a blood-free close shave if I went slowly and carefully. I also found that brand of blade seemed to make a difference in this razor where it didn't matter much in milder ones...

Fendrihan did say it was planning to come out with pure open comb and safety bar variants in future as well as the current hybrid, but it hasn't happened yet.

Carbide Mike and clint64 like this.
  5. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Please do a review. I have been really curious about that one. :)

Spud, Carbide Mike and clint64 like this.
  6. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I posted a first impression.

Carbide Mike and clint64 like this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

They seem to be jumping off the shelf!! Which is a good thing. :) did you buy one?

clint64 likes this.
  8. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Not yet - but the credit card is sitting right here.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  9. Bistro

Bistro Member

I didn't know they made another handle type....the pics I saw online looked like a stacked cork or leather. I like this one much better. Do you know what the material they use on this model?

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Carbide Mike likes this.
  10. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Resin, though one German retailer claims it is anodised aluminium. It feels like resin, and has a nice touch.

My guess is that this is lower maintenance than the birch wood handle.

11. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

There is nothing about "stainless steel" that inherently makes a razor more effective and comfortable.

12. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Was that claimed then?

13. Gabe

Gabe Well-Known Member

yes, I have the 5 piece stainless B1 set. Its the OSS, OC Deluxe, and Standard baseplates. I listed them from least aggressive to most. The OSS and OC Deluxe being my preferred baseplates. I love that Ikon set. I sold a satin set and regretted it. I repurchased the set in B1. It's not going anywhere now.

That being said, my favorite SS razor is the Weber. Discontinued but you can still find them. I also own an ATT M2 and a Wolfman SB, and STILL would choose my Weber.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  14. Asafiev

Asafiev Member

Hmm. I can't find your post. What is the title? Thanks!

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Asafiev and Eeyore like this.
  16. italian-class

italian-class New Member

Hi, sorry if i interfere with the conversation..
    Could you tell me how is the ATT M2 in terms of agressiveness?
    I have two Muhle R89 and R41 and looking something in the middle between the two,
    R89 is way too mild for me..

clint64 likes this.
  17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

From my experience the M2 is fairly mild and very close to the R89. I would say one of the R plates would be between the two razors you have.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  18. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

This exactly ^^^^^^.

19. GoHabs

GoHabs New Member

Can anyone comment on the aggressiveness of the Barbaros TR - 1? How does it compare to a Merkur 34HD or EJ DE89?

Spud likes this.
  20. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

I use the ATT R2 most of the time and an R41 once in a while. I find the R2 to be plenty aggressive. I like aggressive razors, but I am glad I didn't get the ATT H (1 or 2). I haven't used the R89 or any ATT M plate, but I used a Merkur 34 for a while and the ATT R2 is closer to the R41 than it is to the Merkur. I highly recommend ATT.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017