Warmth

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by jr2, May 20, 2016.

1. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I scuttle every shave. I have tried many. I have settled on a Schwarzweisskeramik and a G20 from Georgetown.

I like hot lather. When I travel and put a cold brush to my face it feels wrong.

jr2 likes this.
  2. jr2

jr2 Active Member

A bit German there.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

You had linked an article a few days back dealing with cold water shaving. Even that article mentioned the tugging associated with cold water shaves. So why link to something you don't agree with, but rather seemed to endorse? And I do take some umbrage at being called absurd.

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  4. jr2

jr2 Active Member

Umbrage... Nice you don't hear that one often. Let's all get along. It is very interesting to see how folks think about topics. So back to topic at hand. Sounds like scuttles are most popular for warm lather. Anyone got any methods not listed yet?

ob1page likes this.
  5. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

You could try a "homemade" scuttle first, think of an double boiler that is used in cooking. Heat water in a large bowl and place a smaller lather bowl in the hot water and give it a go. I initially started with hot water but switched to cold after doing back to back weeks of shaving. Cold happens to give me better results but that is me, you could be completely different. That's part of the beauty of wet shaving, so many options to try. Good luck,I hope you find what works for you.

White731 and jr2 like this.
  6. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I find it better to add water to the mix, than starting with a soaking wet brush. I also use mostly creams and soft soaps. I also use only Feather blades, and I hate clowns!:eatdrink013:

jr2 likes this.
  7. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

This ^_^

swarden43 likes this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Well, there you go. Ask a question, you will get opinions, advice, and maybe even actual information.
    That's what makes this an Art. Very subjective in that one mans pleasure is another's irritation. So if it sounds interesting, try that cold water shave. Or not! I recall someones signature reads approximately,
    " Whatever works for you certainly doesn't hurt me"

Demidog, ob1page and Robyflexx like this.
  9. drone115b

drone115b Active Member

I am sorry to revive an old thread, but I was experimenting with this over the last couple days. I thought it would be helpful to share the results here.

I have a novelty coffee mug with an interior diameter ~90mm. A standard coffee mug is about 70mm. You could also use a soup mug, but I think having one with a good handle is important.

For the lather bowl, I used a pyrex baking cup [Ed: my wife tells me that the proper term is "ramekin" -- use that word when visiting kitchen shops.] that fit fairly well into the coffee mug. If I continue doing this, I might run to the dollar store and get a replacement baking cup in white ceramic just to match the look of the coffee mug better. For me, it was helpful that the lathering cup fit down into the mug; otherwise, I fear I might have knocked it off the top of the mug while lathering.

If you have a "seconds" store for Corningware (that sells individual pieces), or if you have a well-stocked dollar store; you can probably find the two pieces you need and test them in-store to make sure they fit the way you want.

Before the shower, I filled both with hot tap water. After the shower, I refilled the base with hot tap water. This set the temperature.

As others have said, my lather was a little more delicate than what I am used to, but the DIY scuttle definitely warmed up the lather nicely. I did not have the lather break down on me -- got 3 good passses. I was using a shavette (and I'm still not great with it), so I was slow, but the DIY scuttle held the heat to the bitter end. It held the heat for at least 35 minutes, and probably could have gone at least 10 minutes more before I noticed any serious drop in temperature.

I'm not much of a bowl latherer, but I thought I would give it a try. Using it with my new Plissoft brush -- it was pretty luxurious, like a warm pillow to the face. But I'm not sure I will go through all the extra steps every day. Maybe on special occasions.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    swarden43, RyX, ob1page and 1 other person like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

No apologies needed. Pulling one out of the past when relevant is cool. Thank you for sharing your experience!

ob1page and Robyflexx like this.
  11. matteob

matteob Active Member

A bit off topic but is a cold water shave really the way to go? It kind of sounds like a military punishment to me! I may give it a go but the whole warmth thing with a scuttle is what makes shaving such a pleasure for me. Face is fine with a hot shave but I get shaving rash on my neck all the time even with a baby touch and fresh sharp blade.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    Robyflexx likes this.
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Give it a try, it works great for some people. For me it was so-so not bad but I do better with warm or hot lather. Try both for a week and then you will have your answer.

matteob and Robyflexx like this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

For me, no.
    For some, yes.
    For you - try it and ask your face, not us.

matteob likes this.
  14. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I tried a cold water shave many years ago when I was still using disposables and it was an unpleasant experience. I recently gave it another try and I found it refreshing. I usually work my way towards the coldest water over the course of the shave so that it's not such a shock for my face.

matteob and Robyflexx like this.
  15. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I like to cold water shave in the warm weather, and switch to hot water when cooler weather rolls around.

I don't really notice a difference in the quality of shave, I just like the briskness of the cold water, especially with a super mentholated soap on a hot day. But when the cold weather arrives, I daydream about hot showers and warm lather. The cold shave just becomes really unappealing then.

Try it out and see what you think. Whatever is best for you is the right answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

matteob, tuxxdk, Demidog and 2 others like this.