Weak lather

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Jack-in-the-Green, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Jack-in-the-Green

Jack-in-the-Green New Member

So, I followed the directions from Mantic's video to make shaving lather, but after whipping away for at least 2 minutes all I got was some weak, runny lather. What is likely my problem? Too much water? Poor quality soap? Too little patience?

FYI, I'm using Classic Shaving brand soap and a Tweezerman pure badger brush. (Yeah, the cheapest badger I could find. Keeping an eye on Ebay for a used silvertip. ;))

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Most likely too much water. I would suggest shaking the brush a few times and going at it, add water when needed if needed a few drops at a time. You could also try shaking the brush out and making a breech in the center with your finger and scooping a little bit of cream into it and than face lathering. Dip the tips of the brush in the water if needed. I didnt reach lather nirvana untill I started face lathering.

3. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

+1 what Jay said- I've used the classic shaving brand in the past. It provides good lather if you get the water level right.

4. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Too much water!! Back off. Soak the brush in the water and dump the water and leave a little in the bottom of the cup. Shake the brush almost dry and swirl the brush on the puck. Grind it and whirl it until it foams on the brush 1min. Swirl in the mug, if the lather disappears add a little water, like and eye dropper drop. Swirl and repeat until the lather appears. Lather dries out, repeat with water. Make sure the water is hot.

5. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

If you keep having runny lather problems, just start whipping it dry.

only add droplets of water as needed and you'll start to get a feel for how much (little) water is actually necessary

6. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

my 2cW............

Good advice so far. Less water and
    MORE SOAP...............make it pasty on the brush
    and then take it to your face (or bowl)

7. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Sounds like too much water. Definitely not the brush...you can make lather with ANYTHING. :D

8. apswartz

apswartz New Member

Amen to this.

Also, I'd like to point out how much I enjoy building lather on the face. I think it is actually easier to do it on the face (instead of the bowl), not to mention how GOOD it feels to do it that way!

9. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

As soon as I started face lathering I fell in love. I tried going back to the bowl a couple times but I just wasnt feeling it. Congrats on getting the face lathering technique down. I have a secret though...

Everywhere I go there is hard water, except for back home where I grew up at my parents house. So when I face lather I first shake out the brush more than it needs to be so I dont make a mess and than make a breech. I than lather up a puck of MWF and load the brush. In that I drop whatever cream I am feeling that day into the breech and go to town. After 3 passes and a touch up, theres still plenty of cream in the brush to keep going if needed.