Wear and tear on a Rolls

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ackers, May 4, 2018.

1. ackers

ackers Member

I have managed to get 2 complete Rolls razors from a total of 3. The hones seem to be in good condition with just faint lines at the cross over points. The strops were complete write offs but its easy and cheap to get leather off cut’s (3 mm thick) on the bay. The blade springs are both worn but I’m reluctant to bend them too much, so I’ve cut down a spring from a ball point pen to stiffen them up a bit. I’ve had the blades honed and sharpened by Billyfergie, and I am ready to shave. It will be some time before I need to hone again, but the blade will need stropping before and after each shave, so the question is this, the blade angle is now correct as per a new Rolls but my Rolls is worn and sloppy, if I use it to strop the blade will it spoil the edge angle now set. As far as honing is concerned I may just send the blade off again to be done properly when needed.

gorgo2 and Billyfergie like this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

1st Thing...The Hone in the Rolls System is Designed to be Used to Maintain the Blade Along Side the Stropping Pad..Rolls Instructions are Vague to How Often Cause of the Variables Involved in Users Skills..:)

But..You Will Know when the Edge is Falling Off in Sharpness...I Would Personally Recommend to Use the Hone Pad Once Every 4 Shaves or So..I Would NOT Recommend Stropping the Blade if its Worn, Sloppy & Loose..These Springs are Needed to to Keep Tolerances Tight to PREVENT SHOCK WAVES to the Blade Whilst Getting Flipped Over..;)

Unnecessary.. Shock Waves Can Internally Fracture the Blade & Cause Micro Chips on the Bevel & Edge..Also..The Hone Pad..Not Sure what You Mean by Faint Lines..Shouldn't be Any..The Hone Needs to be Perfectly Smooth & Flat..Or You Will Destroy the Edge..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I think the faint lines have to be the light surface marks where the hone rests in storage?

Billyfergie likes this.
  4. Billyfergie

Aye..Got it..Those Can be Absolutely Fine..If they are Flat & Smooth..I Usually Get Rid of Em with 350 Grit Wet n Dry & Finish with 1000 Grit..:)

5. Billyfergie

The Rolls Razor was Produced in the 1920s & Still Manufactured and Sold Until 1958..I Would Strongly Advise Anyone to Get a Later Edition..There May be Exceptions Of Course Depending on Condition Etc..The Older Rolls Blades are More Prone to Serious Internal Corrosion for Age Related Reasons..I Would Also Avoid Any Rolls Blade with Hone Wear Issues on the Spine..:)

Any Hone Wear on the Spine On these Small Blades is Magnified on the Hone Big Time..Because the Blade is a Small Compact Surface Area..In Other Words they Can be a Bugger to Re Hone or Reset the Bevel On the 1 K Bevel Hone & Can Require Some Serious Gymnastics Throughout the Proggression..:happy088:

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  6. ackers

ackers Member

This is what I mean, they are faint and I can't feel them.
    I've turned one of them over, the other is the same on both sides.
    I tried to bend one of the springs with the inevitable result. I now have one working unit out of three.
    The question now is, do I rebuild the series 2 or the Viscount.

20180505_185759042_iOS.jpg 20180505_190008061_iOS.jpg

Billyfergie and Enrico like this.
  7. Billyfergie

Those are Fine...Use the Best Condition Set..Mind the Red Leather Strop Pads Need to be Great an All..:happy088: