Weber DLC - First Impressions

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jeraldgordon, May 22, 2012.

1. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

OK, first of all, thanks to LindyHopper whose enthusiasm for this razor prompted me to buy it!

Picture is not my own - stock off the vendors website - I have found myself to be an inadequate photographer.

WeberDLC.jpg

This is one hefty piece of stainless steel! Very heavy bulldog handle, which I appreciate, as I find that I don't tend too use much pressure when I am using a heavy razor. Helps my technique...

The black DLC coating (diamond-like coating) on the head certainly lends a coolness quotient to this piece, at least to my eye. Should be called "Diamond Ninja Coating" The knurling on the handle is very deep, and extremely secure feeling in the hand - more so than anything else I have ever used.

It just arrived yesterday, so I only have one shave on it so far. I have a fairly tuff beard, but a fairly sensitive face. I tend to use my Fatboy set on 4. The Weber is far more aggressive than that - probably Fatboy on about 7, but somehow it is also gentle. I am at a loss to explain this, but there seems to be a lot of blade exposure, more than on any of my other razors, but not an overly large blade gap. Look closely at the picture and I think you can see this. Whatever the case, it seems to result in a quite aggressive razor that is quite gentle on the face.

Then there is the shave! I used an Israeli Personna (my go-to blade) and Mikes Natural soap. The only shaves I have ever gotten that were this good came from a Gillette NEW open comb and a Gem single edge. First time use, not a bit of irritation, no nicks or weepers, and no stinging with the alum block afterwards. And a very fine shave.

I am seriously impressed! This razor will join the elite 4 on my razor stand. :)

2. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm glad I could help. Webers are still my favorite razors. I have the ARC head with long handle and the DLC with bulldog handle you have. I like my Futur and GEMs, but for me nothing beats the Weber. Some of my TSR buddies in England just got the Weber bug and are loving it.

3. bdlehr

bdlehr Member

I got my Weber last week. It is my favorite razor. I tried it with a Derby today. Oddly the Derby was far inferior to the Astra wihich came with the razor.

Enjoy it!!

Barry

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  4. lindyhopper66

Yeah, the Astra SP works well in the Weber. I just tried a Feather in the ARC with long handle Wednesday morning and got a super smooth close shave. I've never done well with Derby in other razors, but haven't tried them in a while.

5. lindyhopper66

Jerald, let me know how the Weber goes for you after a few more shaves. I keep liking it better and better in comparison to any razor, so far.

6. jeraldgordon

Will do. Will finish out this Israeli Personna, then try a Voskhod in it. I've never liked Feathers, but who knows, in this razor they may be fine!

7. lindyhopper66

You could also try the Astra SP blades that come with the Weber. They seem to work well for folks using the Weber. I agree that generally I don't like the Feathers, either. They were the first blades I bought after reading reviews on Amazon and am stuck with 100 of them. I just tried it in the ARC as an experiment. It is a bit too sharp and not smooth enough for me, in general, with most other razors.

8. NUMCKS

NUMCKS Well-Known Member

I was an early adopter and have the DLC with the old, long handle. It's a fabulous razor, and I suspect the ergonomics would be even better with the shorter, heavier Bulldog handle.

9. jeraldgordon

Truly fantastic in all respects! I think this may have cured my RAD... now what do I do with these other 40 razors???? :ashamed001:

10. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

That's a darn nice lookin' piece of metal!

DLP likes this.
  11. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

performs well too.

12. jeraldgordon

Well Lindy - it's just the best! I've used it with IP, Personna Lab, and Voshkod now, and it just works wonderfully. Going to go back and revisit a few personal reject blades next - BIC, Derby, Wilkies, and see how it performs with them. I absolutely love this razor!

13. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

That is a sweet looking razor, thanks for a great review too.

I might have to rethink my stance on using just vintage.

14. lindyhopper66

I'm glad it's working so well for you as it did for me, Jerald. The only vintage razors I use now are the SE's, on occasion, but nothing beats the Weber. I just bought a Tradere and am having major difficulties shaving with it. It costs more than twice the price of the Weber and looks like a Pils or Ikon, but is too hard to use without any benefit I see other than the beauty of it.

15. jeraldgordon

It doesn't always pay to chase the prettiest girl... :rolleyes:

16. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

Congrats on the Weber. Almost everyone that I know has joined the Weber Fan club after they tried or bought the razor. Now that it is a new month, I have a new razor budget ;), so I will be joining this club very soon.

17. lindyhopper66

I think you must, Azarius. Heh, that rhymes. The Weber is a great deal. Stainless steel, specially coated head for slickness, great design, efficient shaving, made in America, inexpensive. It started at $55 and went to $60 and now $70, but is still less than half the price of the admittedly beautiful Tradere. (I am finding the Tradere difficult. I hear it shaves like the Muhle R41.)

I have my friends on theshavingroom.co.uk trying and buying. They all love it, once they get it. It becomes the only razor they want to use.

18. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Very nice looking razor, congrats.

19. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

I am one who actually prefers modern DE's over vintage, with exception of a few vintage three piece heads. I think that many of the modern razor manufacturers are really doing a fine job coming up with new designs, be it iKon, Weber, Merkur, Mühle or the others.

20. rube7072

rube7072 New Member

has anyone checked out the Weber ARC? which one should I buy?

Thanks leddyhopper for letting me know about it.

lindyhopper66 likes this.