Weber DLC - First Impressions

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jeraldgordon, May 22, 2012.

1. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

I've got a DLC in my normal rotation. I've been thinking about picking up an ARC to compare the two.

at the moment it looks like they are out of both models on their web site. The ARC is due back in stock mid July according to Ed a few weeks ago. At that time they still had DLCs in stock so

lindyhopper66 likes this.
  2. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

They are sold out as of all products other than the bulldog handle by itself as of today, it seems. I think more will be in stock in July. I've heard they will be the ARC head with bulldog handle. The bulldog handle with the DLC has given me quicker closer shaves than the ARC with long, lighter handle. The bulldog handle with the ARC head will probably work just as well. I get almost BBS with 2 passes and some touchups. I just emailed the owner asking what products he will have in stock and when.

3. lindyhopper66

I think both heads work just as well. I think the handle is the key factor. I will try my Sunday morning shave with the ARC head and bulldog handle and see if that's true.

4. lindyhopper66

I shaved with the ARC head and bulldog handle and got a wonderful shave. The ARC head feels noticeably slicker, smoother.

I wrote Ed and he said ARC in July and more DLC after that.

5. rube7072

rube7072 New Member

did anyone see the utube about the loose treads on the weber?

6. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Nope, and it's true that they are not "tight". Doesn't seem to make the slightest difference however... quality build!

7. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

Though I don't have any experience with Weber (and can't seem to find where you could buy one online if you wanted to), I am not exactly sure what the problem is in that video. As soon as the head is screwed on tight, there's no side-to-side movement. What's the disadvantage of a little side-to-side movement when it's being dismantled? Aren't most 3-piece safety razors the same?

8. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

When they are in stock they can be purchased here. Last I heard they should be back in stock in later this month.

Smott likes this.
  9. lindyhopper66

http://www.weberrazors.com is where you buy and it leads you to their Amazon link...when the next batch of razors are in. I have noticed no problems with the tightness of the connection with head and handle or anything else.

10. Smott

If anyone has used both the Weber and an EJ DE89, would you chime in and let me know how they compare? A friend of mine would like to know more. What? No, not me! It's this guy I know. A friend. A friend who's definitely not me. At all.

11. lindyhopper66

The EJ is mild but not efficient. The Weber is mild and efficient. The sleek ARC head really makes it move more smoothly over the skin. It's almost nick proof. The EJ89 is okay, ...but just okay.

12. jeraldgordon

Gotta agree with Lindy - the Weber simply works. EJ89 is fine - works well for most folks, but isn't as smooth, isn't as nick free, isn't as efficient - just not in the same class at all. And besides, if you get the Weber DLC you get this cool Ninja black razor head thing going on!

13. Smott

Thanks for the replies, fellas! So according to the manufacturer's site regarding the difference between the ARC and DLC heads, "it really is a matter of color preference with the ARC being a satin finish option in contrast to the DLC." If that's the case, I may wait it out until the DLC comes back as the ARC's head looks a little dull (or is that just the photos?). Both heads are obviously not particularly shiny like a chrome or polished steel finish, but I feel like the black wears the duller "matte" finish a little better than the gray, especially in contrast to the shiny bulldog handle.

I'll keep right on trucking with my EJ in the meantime so I'll have a great baseline by the time the DLC is in stock again. Hmm, not to mention the 40s tech I'll have soon. Fortunately, I'm quite content with my current shaving situation, but I acknowledge the whisperings to give "the next best thing" a try.

14. lindyhopper66

The ARC head isn't dull. It feels much slicker on my face than the black DLC head.

15. Smott

Haha, well then that begs the question as to whether the Weber company has even tried their own razors, as they say they're the same slickness. I'll take your word for it. And yes, I figured there was a possibility that the photos just made the gray look a little "duller." So lindy, you'd say the ARC is your preferred razor between the two?

16. jeraldgordon

Lindy is definitely the expert here - I only have the DLC. What ever the relative "slickness" ratio between them, it sure is interesting how easily lather rinses out of the DLC! Sorta just falls out...

17. lindyhopper66

Yes, with the bulldog handle. But I like having the old long handle and the DLC head as well. I think everyone needs the whole brace of Weber razors, as LeisureGuy told me.

jeraldgordon likes this.
  18. Smott

Well, I suppose the lack of stock will be my wallet protector for the time being! [​IMG]

19. lindyhopper66

You can't go wrong with the upcoming return of the ARC head and bulldog handle. One'll do you.

20. jeraldgordon

Thank you! - I will quote you so I can justify this to my wife! Lindy says I need the "whole brace of Weber razors". That ought to do it... ;)