Weber Razor prices lately

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Apr 26, 2015.

1. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

I have tried the M2 and R2 and both seem good plates to me also. I personally dont see much difference between the OC and CC plates except that the OC plates leave some soap behind and dont clog like the CC does. I also like that fact that if my angle is off, I get a quick visual based on the OC making tracks in my lather! :)

I am actually fine with either setup, just dont matter that much to me which setup as they are all good. Currently my daily is the H1 plate and I like that one the best so far but I haven't tried the H2 yet!

2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

From what I've read online, so take it with a barrel of salt, the R is closer to M than it is to H when it comes to aggressiveness.

So a very simple aggressiveness-chart, having H represent 100% of how aggressive the ATT heads can be, could look something like:

Head:........................M1/2.........R1/2.........H1/2
    Aggressive level:.......40%............60%.........100%

Or something like that.

3. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I think after reading all this I'll keep my Weber PH Classic safe in my bathroom and rule out any travel plans for it. One of my oldies will travel just fine.

tuxxdk likes this.
  4. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

That is correct but I have no idea of the percents with the 1 or 2 plates of each. The M=mild (aggression), R=regular (or mid aggression) and H=heavy (or high aggression) is the way I explained on their setup but using the H1 plate, I dont think it is overly aggressive like it will make you face bleed or anything to be scared of. I have only been DE'ing for about 3 months so if I can handle the H1 plate I am sure the more experience users can use it like a M plate! :)

5. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Haha true that!

When it was still available I was pretty careless with my Weber. Never cleaned it and just shaved the life out of it. Now it's an expensive item online second hand I'm almost afraid to use it... :)

Troy M likes this.
  6. tuxxdk

Oh...my...god...

eBay'ed for a second hand Weber, just for backup on the shelf. They go for 250 USD plus shipping and above. That's nuts, that's ATT territory.

Dang... The Weber is good alright, in fact I love it so much I'm about to marry it (kidding), but for that price I'd look elsewhere first. I have the Weber because it's good, not because it's hyped. Dang.... 250.... no way josé.

feeltheburn likes this.
  7. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I like mine and I'm keeping it but if they go much higher I'll be tempted to sell it :).

8. tuxxdk

Resist, Brian. Fight it! :)

I'm guessing, for variety, if it must be stainless, there are many other attractive offerings for much less money.

9. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I have a DLC head/classic handle Weber that I don't use. Wonder what I could get?

10. tuxxdk

The DLC I saw at 420 USD, plus shipping of course.

11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

There are "unconfirmed rumors" (read: gossip) that Weber will start selling heads again in early 2016.
    If that happens that will obviously drive down the high prices currently seen on eBay - then again...personally, I don't actually think we'll see new Weber heads.
    A gamble I guess if to sell..or hold.... :)

12. tuxxdk

I think it's weird they're still in business if they don't want to. I mean their shop is online with handles. One would guess they would shut it down if they didn't want to sell razors.

I know I'll bite my tongue off if I ever payed those insane second hand prices, only to find months later I can get a new one for a bargain compared. But true, as Darkbulb says, that's a gamble.

13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I think stainless steel handles are a lot easier to make than stainless steel heads (cough-cough-Rockwell-cough-cough) and people do, including myself, like their handles :)
    The problems they had with the shop where they had their heads made that caused a number of quality issues (the now famous "Weber wave") did cause them to put a stop to that part of their business - a decision I respect. If they are now able to have their heads made at a new place, at the same specs but without the old quality issues that could be a really interesting option for people - especially if they are able to keep their original price point. (What was it at the end? $70 for a heads+razor?)

tuxxdk likes this.
  14. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

If they come back, I'd expect to see them cost more than they used to. I'm not sure how they did it for $70. So I'm just gonna be glad I got a bargain when I did :).

tuxxdk likes this.
  15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

And....just for fun some glam shots of webers:

[​IMG]
    Left to right: Pils, Webe, Tradere, Weber

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I'm thinking thats just the nuttiness of the people that buy this stuff. Mongoose razors regularly fetch 40% more than cost on eBay and you can buy a Mongoose if you can wait a bit. One guy is asking $300, another sold for $315! Once something's cool everyone has to have it.

clint64 and Darkbulb like this.
  17. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Very nice, I like!

Darkbulb likes this.
  18. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

+1 It's a mighty fine razor, even though it isn't my favorite. If prices approach or exceed the half-millennium mark, I will be tempted too.

19. damnitgoose

damnitgoose Well-Known Member

Theres no way i could justify that. There are so many great razors on the market, new and old, that it is just crazy to pay that kind of money. If i made 4x what I make now, then no problem, but theres just no way

20. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

My Weber polished head, classic handle may be the best $70 I ever spent in shaving. That said, it's not a $300 razor, and I'm not sure there ever was a razor worth $300. IMHO.

tuxxdk likes this.