Weber SS with polished head

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tuxxdk, Feb 10, 2014.

1. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

It's not very warm in Missouri right now. But I'm sure it's warmer than Denmark. Lol On the other hand if you visit in the summer it can be oppressively hot. I'm in Georgia looking at 3 inches of snow which is rather unusual for us.

2. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Easter Island? Saint Helena? :happy069:

3. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

More like the "Cook Islands" or similar.

Me, my single speed no-frills mountain bike and all my wet shaving gear. Live in a small cabin, fish the sea, lick the sun, live the life! No financial crisis, no cold weather, no pushy boss.

jeraldgordon likes this.
  4. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Neat idea! See to it that you have a stash of blades, soaps & creams! Postage by bottle isn't that great... :D

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Missouri = Middle of Nowhere
    :p:happy097:

tuxxdk and macaronus like this.
  6. cmorris357

That's why they have that old saying, "Missouri loves company"....... Or something like that....

jeraldgordon, Tdmsu and HolyRollah like this.
  7. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Missouri? Don't you mean Misery?

8. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I always thought that was Wyoming.

9. cmorris357

Same thing. :happy097:

10. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Years ago, I was driving from Chicago IL. Middle of the night. Out of nowhere a Owl Flew into the windshield. Sure glad it did not come threw the windshield. :angry019: Near Fort Leonard Wood, MO. About soiled myself.:angry017: :scared011:

cmorris357 likes this.
  11. Ryan B

I was making a Fort Leonard Wood reference homie.

12. cmorris357

I was quoting Ringo Starr.

13. Ryan B

And I was also giving you a hard time. I forgot to put a little emoticon. :angry017:

14. tuxxdk

If I only knew what you guys are on..... :happy068:

15. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Well I'm glad there is some reason the Weber is costing you $130!!! I'd guess an iKon is not in your immediate future....:)
    Seriously I use a Weber daily(I actually own a Polished head and a DLC head, plus all three handles,I use the BullDog) and I.M.O. it's the "BEST" deal around for a SS razor.....The shave is comparable to my EJ89,quite close and comfortable, and I use my Weber with 1 shim and either Viking's Sword blades, Astra SP's or PolSilver Super Iridiums....In my mind the real advantage to the Weber is the fact that it's all stainless steel instead of "pot metal" and so should have all the longevity of a Gillette....:)

PatrickA51 likes this.
  16. tuxxdk

The fact it's all SS is also one of the heavy reasons I'm choosing it. There's no way I'll opt for the Pils, Feather, Ikon, ATT or similar priced models, due to the price. So the Weber fits perfectly for the price. Actually if I end up paying the full amount it's more than I want to spend, but less than I want to go without one, so I'll have to pay the price, should I be unlucky with customs.

I've read up on Pot metal and it might not be so bad that we give it credit for. There's no standard for pot metal so each maker can alter the recipe for the strength and weakness' he seeks. I trust that Mühle with their models has opted for a good mixture that'll last. But trust only goes so far, so I need an all SS model in my arsenal to secure my nights sleeps.

I'm really excited to see what blade this razor sings with. It might not be the same blade the R89 sings with.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  17. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

The problem with "pot metal" shave heads as I see it, is that alot rides on the plating job(quality and thickness)....From what I understand unlike brass or SS once the "pot metal" has become exposed it begins to degrade rather quickly, as long as the plating holds up your good...:)

18. tuxxdk

But that's where I've read that the maker can add to the recipe to make it stronger. I know it doesn't take away the degradation completely, but it's not like it's gonna evaporate in a few weeks.. I hope.. I guess? We don't know.

19. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

I don't have the scientific back ground to be on solid ground, but honestly, it think the hoopla about pot metal heads is over blown. I would be shocked if my Edwin Jager or most of these razors don't last my lifetime. Unreasonable to expect the current razors to last like the old Gillettes. Shoot, the cars in my garage won't last as long as the '53 Chevy my brother-in-law has. That car probably weighs double any of the vehciles in my garage.

20. tuxxdk

I also feel it's way over blown, but similar to you, I can't back it up. I've heard of the occasional plating issue on EJ's and the more heated discussions on the Merkur's, but there can be duds in all product lines.

I don't fear the plating will flake of just like that, but it somehow must be worn down like we see on vintages. And then, first then the issue arises?

Some also say it rots from within so the plating is a non-issue - it'll rot no matter what. I don't know what to believe. But I do believe that an all stainless lets me sleep at night. I know it's silly - should a plated model rot in 10 years time I can buy a new one. Yes. At least I hope I can. Or I could go to use one of my vintages. Or I could just as of today invest in something that'll last for sure and has the heft I like, which I've done.

I think it's a temperamental question. I loose user-joy in a product if I know it might (backed up or not) live on borrowed time when there's an alternative. I'll always seek the alternative. That's the nature of my mind. Color me crazy ;)