Weber SS with polished head

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tuxxdk, Feb 10, 2014.

1. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Smoking too much "Boar Hair" ?:shaver

2. PatrickA51

:signs131: :angry019:
    And for the cost of them seems like you are getting ripped off. Also most are made in China the IKON according to BullGoose is made in Vietnam according to another source they are made in Thailand :angry021:Why support the communist Country's :angry019:
    You hit that square on the nail head have to agree!!! :drool:

3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Yes it is my understanding that the iKon is made by an American living in Thailand, seems it would be cheaper than the American made SS razors, but thats not the case at least with respect to Weber...There are other SS 3 piece razors made in American such as ATT and Tradere, but Weber I.M.O. gives you the most bang for your buck..Plus Ed Weber seems to be a standup guy....:)

PatrickA51 likes this.
  4. 178-bplatoon

Let me add that I also own and use a Weber DLC shave head(which are unfortunately no longer produced) I find the DLC slightly smoother than the polished head......However the prices on ebay are "CRAZY" for a DLC so if you can get one for under a $100 it's probably worth buying if you can afford it...I'm consantly on the lookout now for an affordable DLC...:)

5. PatrickA51

The prices on e-bay are crazy for anything that's vintage and there is a collectors market.

6. PatrickA51

The iKon is not completely SS they claim the head is Polished Aluminum, they changed the handle and almost doubled the price.:signs131:

7. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I can now say, I'm pretty sure I will!

First off, the QC on the razor I received is almost flawless. It looks stunning! On par with my Mühle razor. I was worried, due to the price (it is cheap afterall, seeing that it is SS), that the finish would be less nice. It has not been the case in this situation, luckily.

Second, the shave felt very much like my Mühle, with a tint of more aggression without biting. It just mowed everything down with ease. Also positive. I really like my Mühle so now I have that in an all SS razor. Great!

Third, the heft and the handle... Oh my God! Love it. Can't wait to just use this beast everyday in and out.

Now I need to sell my modern DE's. Look out in the marketplace for some cheap mint-condition Mühle R89 and Merkur 37C Slant ;)

2014 Weber SS w/Bulldog handle
    [​IMG]

PatrickA51, feeltheburn and Aimless1 like this.
  8. 178-bplatoon

:happy088:

9. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

Glad you're enjoying the Weber tuxxdk!

tuxxdk likes this.
  10. tuxxdk

Best of all - I ended with shipping alone, so no customs, fees or anything.

11. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

It was meant to be Martin.

tuxxdk likes this.
  12. PatrickA51

Congrats
    You know why people say "You pay for What you get" Nothing beats the quality of some thing hand made in America!

13. BudWhite

BudWhite Well-Known Member

my Weber SS classic handle arrives today! I can't wait to mate it with my NEW LC head and later this week, my R41 head that I ordered specifically for this handle.

PatrickA51 and tuxxdk like this.
  14. tuxxdk

Maybe I should try and mate the Bulldog handle with the Merkur 15C head. The original handle is a bit too thin to my likens.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  15. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

The whole Pot Metal debate is why I bought an S.S. razor. I should be set for life. I have a Weber Polished Head with a Tradere Handle. All in all a razor worth $120 brand new. I figured why take the chance with a "Pot Metal Razor" so I spent 2 times the amount and I do not have to worry, as long as I properly care for it. This should be an investment. I understand trying Different Soaps/Creams and Aftershaves especially, but why would you need more than one razor? Perhaps I am the outcast here but I decided to get into wet Shaving to save myself some money, not to spend more.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  16. PatrickA51

I am just about the same as you when it comes to "Why do I need more than one razor"?
    I use my Gillette TTO/DE everyday. When I travel I use a Schick Extreme 3 Razor.....So if it get's lost or stolen I'm not out more than $9.00 or $10.00 bucks for a can of shaving cream or a tube of shaving cream.

17. tuxxdk

I'm sorta with ya... but only when it comes to modern razors. My Weber has ben aquired to fill out my every day need. My plan is to only keep one other DE - My Merkur 15C. It was my first DE so I feel it's protected from parting. Also it's one heluva OC, so why not? :)

But vintage vise I like to collect. But only on razors I like to use. So once in a while I mix up the rotation and enter a vintage DE.

But yeah... we only need one.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  18. BudWhite

BudWhite Well-Known Member

Variety is the spice of life, gentlemen.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  19. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

You inspired me to drag my Weber out yesterday Martin. I also decided to troll around the web looking for more info on Weber aggressiveness since I've always found my Weber pretty aggressive and I know many people disagree. Well I found a thread on another forum about an issue with wavy blades in the Webers so I decided to check mine out. Sure enough, it did have a little wave in the blade that I never noticed. I think that may have been the reason my Weber felt more aggressive than most people think they are.

The suggested fix was to use a file to flatten the little strips on top of the baseplate that contact the bottom of the blade. I took one very hesitant stroke with the file and saw one strip wasn't even close to flat. Tried a stroke on the other strip and same thing. So I filed them until they were flat, only removing the high spots so I didn't take off too much material. Then I loaded up an Astra SP which was a near unusable blade in this razor before. No waves in the blade edge now so I was pretty excited for the shave this morning. I wasn't disappointed either. It was a great one.

I'd say the aggressiveness of my Weber is now just slightly more than the R89, just like most people say it should be. After my first pass this morning, I had so little growth left, I probably could have just quit there. Decided to skip XTG and go right to ATG though and it worked great. Darn near BBS except for a spot on the side of my chin.

tuxxdk likes this.
  20. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

The "wavy" blade may have been an optical illusion. Did you inspect with a magnifying glass? Either way, glad you finally found some love for your Weber.