Weck Sextoblade newbie

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Tyke121, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Tyke121

Tyke121 Member

Hi folks ,Not sure if I'm in the right forum for this question ,Still exploring my way around here , I've just ordered a couple of lovely Weck Sextoblades from USA and wanted any advise on using and maintaining these Shavettes ,I've ordered Personna Hair shaper blades here in the Uk ,Wow not cheap here lol ,I'm going to clean up the original blades and hone them for future use ,Any advise is most welcome i.e. Angle of use ,cleaning and storing ,Many thanks

Karl G, Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Those Personna Blades are Disposable..They have a Factory Multi Facet Edge which is NOT for Honing..Other than that Keep it Clean & Dry for Storage & Use around a 30 Degree Angle or So..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

Karl G and PLANofMAN like this.
  3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

This is the right place to post. Use a wet lather and stretch your skin. Enjoy!

Karl G, Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Never tried one of these. They go cheaper than dirt on the bay.

Billyfergie likes this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

I own, and have used a couple Weck shavettes. The Personnas are the most common blades I've found on store shelves. Not cheap here in the States, either. Good news is the thicker steel holds an edge like a SE blade, and longer than a DE.
    While I respect Billy's @Billyfergie opinion about honing, there's nothing stopping you from giving it a go. Please give your impression after you've honed a couple?
    My most recent shavette is formatted for 1/2 DE blades. The choice of replacements is wider and less expensive.
    As to cleaning & storing of Wecks; Stainless Steel! Clean them with dish washing liquid and a toothbrush. After that just a rinse to get the fresh shave soap off. I stand mine on end to help drain the water.

6. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

The holders with be very soft and if you are going to try to hone a blade tape the spine of the blade holder or it will likely not hold up for long. I like shaving with mine and have original blades and From blades. The originals are suppose to be able to be stropped and honed as they were not chemically sharpened blade. I have not tried to strop or hone them.

Keithmax and Karl G like this.
  7. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

The Original Stropping Blades if they are in Decent Nick Can Be Brought Back by Using 1 Micron Lapping Film to Refresh the Bevel..Then 0.5 Chro/Ox Paste..The Edges are Delicate & Require a Light Touch & a Less is More Mind Set..The Edges are Easily Destroyed..Stropping them Can Destroy the Edges an All with Anything More than a Feather like Stroke..:)

Billy..:chores016: