Week One: Fun but still inconvenient

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by cournot, Sep 6, 2014.

1. cournot

cournot Member

Some random observations from the first week, if anyone finds it interesting.

I've now shaved four times with a DE and I can see why it's fun and refreshing and also frustrating. First few times I was super cautious and had rather ugly shaves. Third time, I was more confident, used a different blade and got more of a DFS though still struggling with hard bits like the chin. Fourth time, I really tried to clean up and got close to BBS but also got my first few nicks and weepers.

The whole process is delightful and refreshing. Almost as if one is in a movie of old timey guys going to the barber. Especially with the shower, soaking the beard, hot towel, using preshave oil, building the lather, doing a prelather, then painting on the real suds before carefully bringing out the blade and the razor. Then comes the witch hazel and the AS balm. Half expected Al Capone to show up for the opera.

Of course I realize that it does get better and faster given time and practice. On the other hand, when I needed to clean up an ugly shave for a big meeting, I used a 6 blade cartridge razor and canned goo that took under 3 minutes.

But I think I'll stick it out.

I also learned something I should have suspected all along. This bit about saving money on razor blades is a scam, right? All you inmates realize that going down this path leads to spending on vintage razors, fancy soaps and balms, and all sorts of goodies that will eventually swamp the costs of dozens upon dozens, if not hundreds, of cartridges! Yes.?

Oh well, as the addiction is starting to bite, I can console myself that I'm saving money by keeping me away from my other addictions to high end stereo equipment, vintage LPs, expensive chess and go sets, tailored clothing, and fine shoes.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2014
    Mr. Shaverman, Boojum1 and Bristle Me like this.
  2. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

A "noob" myself (April) I find DE shaving very enjoyable and I look forward to it. That being said, it is neither fast nor convenient. The modern electrics and cartridges are popular is because they ARE fast and convenient. In today's world things like shaving are tasks, not experiences. Therefore, they are mundane and ordinary. All cartridge razors look the same, there is no craftsmanship as opposed to some of the razors of the past. How many of the ordinary things in life used to have some character. Cars, lampposts, buildings...all used to have some esthetic appeal beyond their purpose that made them appealing. So keep shaving my friend, the enjoyment itself is the esthetic appeal beyond just removing the hair from your face.

Oh yes, this is NOT necessarily cheaper, it's a vast conspiracy. LOL.

lilbones99 and Bristle Me like this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Well said, my friend. I am a face latherer. That shaves a lot of time. You can get a good shave in about 5 minutes if needed. Check out this: http://jrshaving.blogspot.com/2013/02/5-minute-shave-from-lather-to-rinse.html

As far as ADs go the various shaving ADs are rather benign. All that money you save not buying razor cartridges will end up going to brushes, soaps and creams, and maybe even to strops and stones. But in the long run, you will have a better shave, healthier skin, and you can pif all the stuff that doesn't work for you. You will also have something of value to pass down to your sons, grandsons, or nephews.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    FatherofSquirrel and Slipperyjoe like this.
  4. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

As you gain more experience and confidence, you'll find you'll be able to shave some time off the whole migilla if you need to and still do a pretty good job. Don't forget people were shaving for decades with these thing, many still going with the whole brush lather approach, while labouring under similar time constraints..welcome aboard..:transport022:

Jayaruh and Bristle Me like this.
  5. cournot

cournot Member

Thanks guys. I know that people shaved for decades without all this because that's what I did as a young man. But I also remember always getting nicks and weepers. It did feel good though when all went well. That memory and the ridiculous prices for Gillette cartridges have made me come back to the fold and do things right this time!

Boojum1 and Jayaruh like this.
  6. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Ah but now you've got technique on your side..:happy088:

Boojum1 and Jayaruh like this.
  7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Since you are new to the Double Edge world, here is the advice I received when I started with a DE and so I freely give it to new users. The most important things in shaving are, your skin and technique. All other things fall in line behind those two things and to support them. Since the skin is a given fixed item, the next major item is technique. It is called THE 30 DAY RULE.

THE 30 DAY RULE is as follows: Find a razor, then a blade that will not cause issues with your skin (that may take a few different blades in a sampler pack to find a suitable choice or it maybe the first out of the gate) and select a soap or cream that is easy to generate good lather. Once you find those, and it may take a couple of weeks to find this combination, order a quantity of that blade enough for 30 days, and then spend 30 days using nothing else until you build up your technique. (Note that only one brand blade is used for 30 days after each blade in the sampler pack is tested to make the decision on the blade brand to use for 30 days.) The 30 day clock starts when you have the right blade for you.

After 30 days, change one and only one variable and work for another week then change another after another week. At that point you should be able to make better decisions because your technique is now in place.

This will help you to avoid buying too much gear and stuff too soon without having the technique down to enjoy it all.

This really does work.

Oh and one more thing ...

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

FatherofSquirrel, Boojum1 and Jayaruh like this.
  8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Your observations are fairly correct, but a slight altering of how you look at this hobby/activity may help you.
    First off the time killer and money spender is "Shaving" period! Whether it's cart, electric or "traditional" makes no difference. If you want to save money, time and energy "Don't shave". The act of "traditional" shaving as opposed to cart or electric shaving is simply a much more interesting, comfortable, controllable, user involved method of performing the boring, mundane task of shaving. If proper preshave practice is used cart shaving will take basically as long as "traditional" shaving to perform.

Next pound for pound "traditional" shaving as a grooming aid is definitely "LESS" expensive than cart shaving. There are formulas that prove this. That said "traditional" shaving as a hobby,( this is where the AD's come in to play), like most hobbies does tend to cost more. However unlike cart shaving, if "traditional" shaving eventually displeases you, most if not all of the equipment purchased and monies spent for "traditional" shaving, can be potentially recouped.

The quality (closeness and lack of irritation) of "traditional" shaving as opposed to cart or electric absolutely does get better and better with Time, Practice and Patience. At 4 shaves in you've barely scratched the surface.

So no need to console yourself IMO your already way ahead of the game...:happy088:

9. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

If you have only one razor, some blades, soap, and one brush. It's going to be a lot cheaper than buying new cartridges and cans of gel. If it develops into a Hobby then it will cost more. However as hobbies go, it's not high dollar, as say firearms, stereo equipment, or vintage automobiles.

10. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

Welcome to the Den.

I face lather myself. Don't use PSO and no hot towel. Not saying they aren't a plus. Just saves time. Plus if you cold shave, well, that is a whole nother story.

Jayaruh and 178-bplatoon like this.
  11. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den! Keep at it. It used to take me 5 min or less to shave with a 5 blade cart and I hated every minute of it. I can now complete a 3 pass DE wet shave with touch ups in 10-12 min, but I enjoy every minute of it.

178-bplatoon likes this.