Weishi 9306C vs. 9306D vs. 2003M What's the diffence besides the colors?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Pneumo, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Pneumo

Pneumo New Member

Considering picking one of these up off ebay, but scared of fake ones or knock offs. Not even sure this is a good one. Any advice would be great! :)

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

All the 9306 are the same, just have different color finishes. A lot of shavers don't like even the 9306 and claim it is too mild. I have found that it is mild, but paired with a good blade it can give a close, irritation free shave. I wouldn't hold my breath for BBS every time.

The 2003, 2004, etc... are different materials and tolerances in their construction.

I can't find my link at the moment, one of the models is aluminum, another is designed for travel, one of the other models is OK, but not as tight in tolerances as the 9306.

ah here we go: http://www.wd.com.cn/en/main.asp?alias=Products

The 2003 model is the super light weight aluminum version
    The 2004 model is OK, but not as good as the 9306.
    The 2008 model is "Made of super intensity polycar-bonate" I would avoid this one

3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Weishi razors in general are known to have occasional quality problems, so order from a reputable dealer who will take returns. The base metal in some models is different than others. This affects both weight and durability.

I only have the gunmetal version, which is made with real steel and some metal or metal-colored coating. The coating has already started wearing through being only about a year old, but it still shaves great and I expect will do so for years to come. Overall, it's a decent razor that will last years, but not a lifetime like most other DE razors.

Based on my experience with this razor and reports of lower satisfaction with the cheaper versions, I'd stick to the nicer finishes that come in the "deluxe" packaging. They really aren't much more and the travel case is very functional. Also, the cheaper Dorco blades (ST-300s) that come with these don't have the best reputation and most don't like them (I find them usable but not great). As always, YMMV.

4. Pneumo

Pneumo New Member

Thanks guys. I guess more importantly... The question of what other option should i consider when looking at buying a DE Saftey Razor? The Gillette Fat Boy looks top notch, but i'd rather not spend $50 for a razor. And I find it hard to believe that everything in life has to fall under the, "you get what you pay for" adage. Are there no other excellent brands out there for this type of razor that won't have the hefty price tag? Maybe some Japanese, German, russian or Swiss companies???

5. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

There are plenty of quality razors.. check out this thread: http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/im-a-new-wetshaver-which-razor-should-i-get-pic-heavy.16364/

Now you can actually get a fairly decent DE for $3. However, the cheaper razors often are plagued with quality issues. You can get a good Edwin Jagger 3 piece razor for under $30. You can get a Lord Premium for about $15. You can get some decent Parker razors for $20 to $30 and there are a number of good Merkur models in the $30 to $50 range. You would also be fine getting a vintage tech or super speed both of which can be had from $10 to $20.

6. Pneumo

Pneumo New Member

Sweet. Well now this makes me think i just made a mistake.... Is this a fair deal for this auction at $35??

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    No live auction links, please.

I wouldn't bid that high for that, though. If you lose, send me a PM.

8. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

For a red type in good condition with a case, that is probably about the average going price on eBay. eBay is weird on the razor market, a good condition red tip can bid pretty high one day and not get many bids another. The pics show a pretty good quality plating on that red tip and with the case, I wouldn't be surprised if it went higher.

Myself, I wouldn't bid that much for a super speed in any condition. But that is just me.

Just so you know, one of the forum rules is that we can't post links to live auctions. After an auction is over or a buy-it-now it is fine to post. You may want to edit your post.

9. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Well, the bid went higher than that. I can't say I am surprised. In my opinion red tips are overrated as a must have razor. Fat-boys are also over sought and fetch unneeded prices on eBay. One of the things you may want to do before bidding on eBay is search completed listings to see what the going market has been. However, even if the going market is $40 for a razor, and auction could still go up to $100 or as low as $5 for little apparent reason.

10. Brian

Brian Active Member

The Merkur 180 or aka Long Handle was the first of many DE razors I've ordered so far. But a vintage Gillette arrived first, so it was my first DE shave. I started out not liking the longer handle of the Merker (even had a post "call me crazy"), but found this to be a very good shave for me. Per the AoM, this is the BMW of razors. I don't know if I'd go that far, but it is a very nice, well made razor, with a mid-range cost of $33.50 for new. I'm sure if you ask which one is best, you'll get different answers every time due to personal preference.

If I was to do it over again, I wish I would have got my Schick Krona first. Being a very mild but well built razor, I believe I could have saved myself a few weepers and nicks. It doesn't have the shiney metal handle that so many like, but in this case for me, function beats form. And the best part, I found mine for under $10.00 which also included the shipping. With it being the more mild of razors I can do the 3 passes plus touch up with out turning my neck into hamburger. Don't get me wrong, you will still need to learn proper technique, but it will be a little more forgiving until you do get it down.

Whatever you decide to go with just remember:
    • Proper skin prep
    • A good lather
    • No pressure
    With that in mind you'll be well on your way to one of the best shaves around. Happy shaving.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...mp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0009ICYHA
    A Merkur Long Handle for $33.50.

11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Here is a comparison of blade gaps to show where the Weishi fits in compared to other razors. Remember all razors are not sold to American, European, or Middle Eastern markets. Other markets value a milder razor based on skin type and hair thickness and growth patterns. I hope this helps.

Razor gap measurement
    thousandths of an inch 22
    millimeters .56
    1. Gillette Adjustable @ 1
    2 .Gillette New Norfolk
    3. Gillette TECH
    4. Merkur Classic
    5. Weishi
    6. Merkur Progress 570 @ 2

Razor gap measurement
    thousandths of an inch 23
    millimeters .58
    1. Gillette NEW
    2. Gillette Super Speed (Blue Tip)

12. Copernicus

Copernicus New Member

I started my DE shaving career with a Parker 99r that I love. A few months ago I picked up a 63 Adjustable for around 20$ that is my favorite in my rotation. But definatly don't forget what Brian said up there: Proper skin prep, a good lather and NO pressure and you will be good to go

13. Pneumo

Pneumo New Member

Here it is!!! Straight from Grandma's house. This used to be my Grandfathers. RAD!!! So if i were to venture a guess.... This is a Gillette Fat Boy, correct?? If s,o are there any suggestions on blades that work well with this awesome weapon? Two things to consider for myself. I have soft and fair skin. Don't really get razor bumps, but more so the little pimples. So in addition to blade suggestions, what are some good soaps to use that may help with this? I'm 30 and don't have a ton of facial hair. Quite spotty actually. My chin is solid and the corners of my upper lip, but everywhere else could use a shot of testosterone. ;) Also what house hold item would be the best for cleaning this? It has some leftover residues and a few spots of green tarnish. All advice is much appreciated! :)

securedownload.jpg

14. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

The Feather Popular is a good little razor for less than $20.

15. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

yes, it is a fat boy.

Cleaning: Scrubbing bubbles, an old tooth brush and some tooth paste, making some baking soda with a little water and a toothbrush...

Start at no higher of a setting than 3 until you get a good feel for what you are doing. Watch the Mantic videos on Youtube.

Blades? There are a lot of blades that you may get suggested. But if you want something you can get local, try your local Walmart, they may have some Wilkinson blades that will get you going while you order a sampler pack. Everyone is different. My favorite blades may be trash for you. Get a sampler.

Soaps? Locally you can probably find Van Der Hagen (VDH) soaps or Williams. They both work, but VDH is easier and less likely to have issues. You may be able to pick up a VDH boar brush locally at a drugstore as well. If you have a bath and body works near by pick up a tube of C.O. Bigelow cream. You can also check to see if a local Target store has a Shea Moisture shave brush. Local purchases are really hit and miss. There are a lot of great soaps and creams out there online. There are a lot of blade choices; however, it is still a good idea to start with a blade sampler.

16. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

That's some good advice from Justin.

3 is a good setting to start, fairly mild but not excessively so like 1 or 2.

I'd not recommend starting with Williams, it's a tricky soap to lather well, the other suggestions are better IMHO. Personally, I think VDH is the best starter soap (and not bad even with experience) as it's easy to get really good lather from it.

If you can get the Shea Moisture brush, go that route. It's a bargain for the price and will far outlast the only slightly cheaper VDH boar brush. The other bargain would be getting an Omega boar brush online. If you do decide to spend extra on one area, this is the area I'd suggest. If interested we can provide suggestions.