Welcome to the Shave School!

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Will, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Hi All,
    Michael? I agree with just about everything you said, but gimme a minute here.
    I had to laugh when I saw John's post....not about the post itself, but the time it took for his first one. Hehe, you remind me of me, John! Took me a good 7-8 months of lurking before I said a word. Thank you for the response, and I'll take that as a compliment. Thanks also to Johan, who's always so supportive of other members. I haven't used the straight you graciously sent me yet, but I take it outta the box sometimes and touch it a little. Is that wrong?
    I enjoyed reading your post Michael, and we're on the same page about having to try things yourself. Razors, brushes, blades, and even soaps and creams all can behave differently for us. You know, I can't imagine finding the right combo immediately...it would have to be sheer dumb luck. Yep, you gotta try a bunch of things to get to that point. And that 'point' is the reference to other products that's developed from using em. As you know, it's something only experience can provide. So yeah, not all razors will shave the same, etc.
    But........what I'm suggesting is to minimize the extremes when picking out a first set of shaving tools. It seems like some razors are known to be very mild (Weishi), and some more aggressive (slant) than most other DE razors. I'd start with a more 'normal' type...........one that fits many people's face.
    Same thing with a brush. Hehehehehe, I think you have a fondness for the Kent, if I'm not mistaken. Well, they have their own charms, but NOT if you want a stiff brush. Same thing with an expensive brush like a two banded Tulip. They're known for they're kinda unique bit of scrubbiness, from what I've read. So, start with that C&E brush you mentioned, or maybe a nice Savile Row from Charles in 'super' for a few bucks more (still under $50).
    Use it for a while, and then figure out what might best suit your face if you were to get another one. Find out what may be lacking by using a 'normal' product as a reference point.
    Blades are the same thing........sharper doesn't mean better as you know. Makes more sense to me to use a derby or crystal to start with.........a mild yet popular blade. Once again, that's to get a feel for what might work for your next blade.
    Oh....that pressure thing? Looks like you're using (and getting much better results from) heavier razors when compared to the superspeed. Could the extra weight, or the way it's distributed (or both) possibly be helping in keeping from any use of pressure? Reason I ask, is that's how it is for me. Using a superspeed just didn't give me that effortless shave I was hoping for. Too much feedback from the thing while shaving, plus it just wasn't heavy enough to use NO pressure at times. Sure, I coulda gotten used to it, and adjusted my technique, but why? It still would never FEEL right to me.
    Seems like aggressive razors tend to be on the heavy side. I think there's something about that weight which helps cause that. Hehe, of course there's more to it than that, but you get my meaning. I know that in my case, it's a crucial part of the mix for my 'perfect' razor.
    Anyway, I'm really glad you figured things out with the DE. It surprised me a while back when you mentioned the problems you'd been having. Turned out to be the razor (SS), plus too much pressure eh? I'm happy you stayed with it. Hehe, I had the same problem with my first injectors........about tore my face up. Turned out it was the wrong type for my face.
    Whewwww, I think I'm done.
    Nice typing at you,
    Martin

2. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

My eyes hurt! :D

3. Erimus

Erimus New Member

I post on B@B and lurk over here. Your post inspired me to reply :D

I'm a former DE shaver from the 70's, returning just short of a year ago to a different way of shaving, but one that we greatly prefer.

Kenny.

4. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Which post? "My eyes hurt?" :D

Welcome to The Shave Den, Kenny!! Good to have you with us!

5. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

Welcome Kenny! Glad to have you here!

6. Hi again, new guys,
    It just hit me that I didn't mention another myth when it comes to this 'hobby'. If you think you're gonna save money on cartridges, you are correct! You can also forget about paying for any Foamy or Edge, or whatever it is you have now.
    Nice to have that extra cash eh? Yeah.....that's what almost all of us thought at one time............how much money we'd be saving. Hehe, the more seasoned members are laughing at that I'd bet.
    Actually, it CAN be true, but maybe not right away (or ever). First you'll need to spend about $80- $100 for the right tools. Figure a razor and some blades, a brush, bowl, some shaving soap or cream, and you're good to go. The razor and decent brush will last for years, and the soaps and blades are normally inexpensive to replace. Done deal!
    The blades I use cost a quarter (4-5 shaves per blade), the soaps are very little cost per use, and so yeah.....NOW the shaves are almost free. In addition, each part of my shaving 'set' works better than any other things I've found in the past. Yep........just exactly what I was looking for when I started this 'hobby'.
    Hehe, the thing is.........it took a while to get there. Time AND cash! Long story short, I can't begin to tell you how many hundreds of dollars MORE I've spend on wetshaving things, rather than those 'expensive' M3 cartridges I was used to shaving with in another lifetime. I even think a few other members might have had similar experiences.......heh.
    No, I won't go into detail now about how many razors or soaps I have (and am still acquiring) but you can kinda get the idea. Well, it IS nice to have a few things to choose from.
    So.... one of THE biggest myths is this shaving thingy saving you some cash any time soon (if ever). That just not how this 'hobby' usually works. I know some new readers are shaking their heads......thinking about how foreign that sounds...it'll never happen to them. Yeah, I was like that a looooong time ago.
    Martin

7. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Spoilsport. :rolleyes:

8. Hiya,
    Think that post was a bit much? Hehe, should I have waited a while till they're hooked in and THEN spring it? Naaah, it ain't gonna happen to 95% of the new shavers. Having more than one or two razors or soaps (or brushes) is plenty for almost all us 'hobbyists'. There now........better?
    But I guess I shoulda mentioned some of the trade off that makes the cash seem so well spent. You mentioned how important the soap or cream fragrance is to you....what it adds to your shave. I also like to use a soap or cream that smells great, and performs the same way. Luckily, (and through trial and error) I've come up with 6-8 'regulars' in my small rotation that fit the bill as described.
    New shavers are gonna be amazed at all the wonderful choices available to em....any scent they can think of is available from some vendors. They can even make their own very easily using their favorite cologne or EdT that's added to an unscented base. To me, having all those choices is FUN!
    Ok......I tried to soften things a little.......not that it matters (laughing here at that). Some members may just end up changing nothing more than switching over to using a brush and soap, and that's fine. Others may become a little more 'enthusiastic', but that hardly ever happens..........
    Martin

9. Padron

Padron Active Member

Great thread gents, a very good read.

Welcome Kenny, great to have you here. :)

Neale

10. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    +1 all around. ;)

And Martin and Michael? I'll be sending my eye dr bills to you two. :p

11. freebird

freebird Active Member

What, no mention of straights? :shocked003

12. -PO-

-PO- New Member

Great post with great info, So where were you a week ago!!! LOL Yes I bought the kit but what I got was good for the money and found the one I wanted, you are right about the savings part, I have already spent more in one week than I have in one year on cartridge shaving. :happy102 This is just like my Cigar collecting :happy102 Can't wait to buy more sooooo let me see which scuttle do I buy :happy102:eek:

13. Hi there,
    Oh, I think Michael 'mentioned' using one of those briefly in a previous post.........
    Hehe, actually, I could mention just a few things about first starting out using a straight. Sadly, it won't be from personal experience, but I HAVE done some reading up on various forums. Feel free to add any other tips you think are appropriate.
    Once again, I wouldn't buy a razor for mostly looks, or assume it's a good one for me because it's an expensive model. I've seen way too many new members buying a purty lookin straight that just doesn't suit em. They really don't have a reference point yet, so they're basically buying blind using that method. As you know, there's numerous different grinds, blade sizes and points, etc. As an example, you won't know if a full hollow grind is even gonna work on your face.........even though it may 'sing' like an angel........heh.
    I'd also make a point of spending time at www.straightrazorplace.com ......reading and asking questions. What a great resource for straight users, and it's a well run site. Very helpful bunch of 'hobbyists' over there.
    Then, I'd definitely grab a copy of Lynn's (the above shaving forum's owner) DVD on straights. Never seen it, but lots of members recommend that thing.
    Then.....and this IS actually a good myth to dispel........after buying a razor , I'd send it to someone for final sharpening!!!!!!!!! This is REALLY important for a new shaver to understand. Even though a straight may well be advertised as being 'shave ready' right outta the box...it WON'T be sharp enough (or sharpened properly) to use comfortably.
    Man..........I've seen that typical new member post countless times. You know, the one that starts " My new Dovo or Wapi or TI, etc, just arrived and I tried shaving with it." Sigh...that never ends up very well.
    Ok.....that's about the limit of my knowledge, but I know there's many members who use one of those regularly. I'd welcome any other thoughts on what to avoid when starting out, since it's just a matter of time (for me). It's that damn honing and stropping thingy stopping me mostly...........just not quite motivated enough.....yet.
    Freebird? Thanks for bringing that up,
    Martin

15. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I have no further comments. Can't afford the eye doctor bills. :)

16. -PO-

-PO- New Member

17. Will

Will Nevermind

Thread merged... Trying to keep all the good stuff in one spot. :D

18. chasro

chasro Member

Useful info. Thanks.

19. Misha

Misha New Member

Thanx for the info!

I thought it meant Your Mug May Vary :D

20. rrp1501

rrp1501 New Member

If you can get one, get a scuttle to make your lather in. They really keep the lather nice and warm and adds just that little bit more of comfort to your morning shave!