Well, I was doing just fine until........

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by McGrande, Mar 11, 2017.

1. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

I scored a win in the February newbie random drawing.

You see, I was whittling down my soaps and had planned on using just creams as they work well for me. I used up the last of a few random soaps I had in my stash for a few years and have 4 new tubes of Proraso (all colors) that I was getting ready to dig into. Still have some RR Puros, Figaro and Proraso soaps left, but not much.

Part of my surprise win were two, $10.00 gift certificates. One for the Shave Den store and the other for Ginger's garden. Perusing their stores, I ordered a tub of Ginger's "British Empire" tallow soap. Don't you know it came today! I mean, what's with the rapid service all of a sudden? Smells wonderful and the jar is pretty cool. It has a built in flip-top on the screw on lid. Clever. I kept thinking I could resist and work on using up some of the older ones left, but no....I'll be using it tomorrow. No will power at all. I am a weak, wretched person who doesn't deserve to win anything.

In addition, I ordered two tubs of TSD lanolin soap (Bay Rum & Patchouli Rose). As these are made to order I won't see them for a while, but when I do...........

My master plan is shattered. Part of the plan was to also use up several aftershaves that I had and settle on a few. That's probably out the window now as I'll need some splashes to pair with my new soaps. Oh, for the days of a can of Rise, a Trac II and a bottle of Old Spice. (just kidding!) ;)

Plus, sevenbark included an aluminum handle Gillette Tech razor, blade samples and a tube of T&H sandalwood cream. I hadn't really given much thought about acquiring vintage razors or high end creams......UNTIL NOW! Going to check out eBay now.

Keithmax, dustmite, Jayaruh and 4 others like this.
  2. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

What a coincidence, I ended up getting all four tubes of Proraso myself to use as my mainstay creams but I still plan on using some artisan products. I've used aftershaves from Ginger's Garden and TSD, and they are both fantastic. Unfortunately I'm sensitive to a lot of fragrances but that only motivates me to keep looking for something that works. After all, I can always fall back on the creams.

I would definitely recommend following through on your plan to pick up the matching aftershaves. Both Ginger's Garden and TSD have a healthy amount of aloe vera and witch hazel, so they are especially a treat for the skin. No use in trying to stick to your master plan - just give in and indulge.

brit and RyX like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Very few Minimalists. Some shavers only have by choice one soap, brush, razor, brand of blade, etc. Those that have limited themselves to a single or a few items may have already sampled enough to have found The One.
    I'm not there yet.

4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I hope you weren't kidding about the can of Rise :). Although you're right if you meant the OLD Rise's.

Demidog likes this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

:happy093:i know what you mean .i wanted just a few for variety(you know the phrase) but guess what; rad ,sad,bad,all the adds seem to come into play when i start a new hobby.at least i am not alone,i am on this forum with many other chronic sufferers....

Demidog likes this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Down the rabbit hole he goes...;)

RyX likes this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I know the feeling. You are doing so well, and then wham! There goes NB15. Forget about NB16 or NB17. Enjoy your new soaps.

RyX likes this.
  8. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are developing a serious condition... Stay away from pass arounds, they only make it worse!

RyX likes this.
  9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I fell early to the various AD's. Razor was first, "Well, this VDH is okay, but damn that DE89BL is nice!" Followed by Creams, A/S, etc, etc. You get the picture.
    "Hi, my name is Jim, and I am a __AD sufferer."
    "Hi Jim"

jtspartan and RyX like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Only worse in that now you know for sure you want that soap.

dustmite likes this.