Well, I've been busy

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by huck1680, Jan 16, 2012.

1. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

Hi Guys
    Since Xmas I've been on a bit of a tear.[​IMG] Some razors I've been after for a while, some I didn't expect to buy and some I couldn't resist...I tried...really. First, a Durham that takes proprietary blades but I really liked the looks and it's one of those razors you just can't help picking up and examining. Came with its original shipper. Next a very nice Junior Aristocrat I got from Mark1966 (great guy to deal with). An excellent shaver, nice balance and weight. We then proceed to a Pils 101E which I got at a terrific price on from Phil@Bullgoose. Interesting razor, well made, good weight with balance being mostly near the head. I like the shave (med. aggressive) and with a bit more familiarity s/b even better. Then on to a New Standard I picked up from Jake (another great guy to deal with). This is a very nice razor and delivers an excellent shave. Well balanced, nicely aggressive and really well made. Next is an Ikon Sk9. This was also purchased from Phil @Bullgoose (terrific vendor, excellent to do business with). Now I know the background skinny on Ikon, however I did want to try that dual head and I'm glad I did. Because of the thicker handle it's more evenly balanced than the Pils. Good weight and is a medium aggressive shaver. Well made and I get 2 pass BBS from it. Lastly, it's my "B" series Schick injector.Just got it and immediately took it apart for cleaning etc. More complicated than the "C" series as far as replacing blades etc but in beautiful shape and I get the same shave as I do with the "C" series. A little north of medium aggressive but still very comfortable and I love the looks.

There's still a couple more razors in the pipe but they're not here yet. When they arrive I'll post the pics and descriptions.

Cheers P1010094.JPG P1010095.JPG P1010096.JPG P1010098.JPG P1010099.JPG

IAmTheJody, Hanzo, lradke and 3 others like this.
  2. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Some great razors there huck, thanks for sharing:),

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Nice razors.

4. Shayne Redfearn

Shayne Redfearn Active Member

some very nice looking peices! congrats on your great findings! :happy088:

5. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Great looking razors. I especially like the Durham. Nice Finds:happy096:. Post how the Durham shaves please.

6. huck1680

The Durham takes proprietary blades and the modern DEs don't fit, I tried to modify a blade but they're shorter and wider than the original Durham blades. So it's for looking only or until I figure something else out.

7. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Nice iKon. :drool:
    I want one but too much $$ for me.
    And don't believe all of the background noise. Gregg is a fine fellow.

Very nice Schick B1. The silver plating looks great and the leather sheath looks like it's held up wonderfully.

Did you get the PILS before or after Phil raised the price $20? :rofl:

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Loving those Gillette's! Unfortunately I never liked the look of the ikons, their style just isn't me.

9. DaveL

DaveL Active Member

Nice looking razors! Congrats on your new acquisitions.

10. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

That AJ is smoking! :cool:

11. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Nice pieces you have got there!

I particularly like the shick. Looks to me like a great travel kit!

Mike

12. huck1680

I felt the same way about the Ikons to start with but the dual head was intriguing. I've found the balance to be excellent, the grip very comfortable and it gives me a 2 pass shave with a bit of buffing. So I'm pleased with it.

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sweet! Enjoy all your new goodies.

14. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Nice collection there, Huck. I do like that Ikon with the dual head. very nice.

15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The Durham did take a proprietary blade that no longer exists, but carpet blades work as well and give a decent shave, if you can smooth the edges out on them. It's been awhile since I used mine (I have the same model you have) so now I just have to break it out. One cool thing about this DD is the angle of the head; you can get a great ATG/upwards/backstroke when doing the neck.

16. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Yes, many people use the Personna or Stanley carpet blades found at Lowe's or Home Depot as they fit perfectly. I can't imagine it'd be a pain-free or bloodless shave but many people use them, and attempt to use them. I'd think you'd need skin as tough as leather to use carpet blades but as with all blades, even industrial ones, YMMV.:happy102:

As I understand it having read several posts around the internet, any of the long Feather Artist Club blades - as seen at the bottom of Superior Shave's page here - do work perfectly in DD razors.

17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Try one for yourself and you'll know and not have to imagine. Just hone the carpet blade first and every time, and it'll be fine. The wide swath cut by the DD is quite an experience. You'd think from looking at it that the DD would lay you open; it's really pretty mild.

Great - one more thing for me to blow money on.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  18. theblindog

theblindog Active Member

wow...congrats!
    love that Pils !