Whassup with the ads and 404 Not Found?

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by Shaver X, Jul 31, 2017.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

This was referring to stuff mentioned in the "Tapatalk" thread", not what Tapatalk does or doesn't do.

That isn't at all what happens.

Queen of Blades likes this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Yes, I did. I am up to date on every thing and no malware or viruses.

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    You checked your Chrome extensions, too?

4. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Not sure what to check.
    Chrome says that TSD is not a secure site and I should not enter sensitive information on it because it can be stolen by attackers.

5. Queen of Blades

That's because we don't have a SSL. But it doesn't have anything to do with this issue.

To check your extensions, you'll have to disable them all, and enable one at a time to see which is causing the issue.

Is there any chance a family member installed a new extension without your knowledge?

Bama Samurai and Jayaruh like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks. I am the only user. I will see what I can do.

7. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Ok, my bad. I did a cursory look around and found no mention of ads anywhere. That was why I was wondering what was going on. As long as it is for the benefit of TSD, then ads are ok by me. Thank you for the info!

Apps or services that hijack TSD's affiliate links, on the other hand, are badly behaved. Stealing revenue from websites is not OK. That's not bashing anything, it is about right and wrong.

RyX likes this.
  8. Queen of Blades

Thank you for the support!
    However, stealing is a bit harsh. Sparky and I knew going into Tapatalk that they would overwrite our affiliate links.
    It's just after a lengthy run that we are weighing the pros and cons of Tapatalk.

RyX likes this.
  9. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

If we don't see ads when logged in, how do we see "affiliate links"? Where are they?

RyX likes this.
  10. Queen of Blades

Links to Amazon and Ebay. They are all over the forum.

RyX likes this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

If I understand it, when someone post a link on TSD and another member clicks that link it counts as a referral? If a purchase is made during that session, this helps support TSD operating cost?

Queen of Blades likes this.
  12. mrchick

I don't see links to Amazon or eBay when logged in using Safari. I just navigated all over the site and saw no ads/links. What am I doing wrong?[​IMG]

13. mrchick

So it isn't TSD generated links? It's only if a member posts an Amazon or eBay link?
    Is there a way to give us links we can bookmark that would help TSD? I would do all of my eBay and Amazon shopping using those links to help. I'm sure others would as well.

RyX and dustmite like this.
  14. Queen of Blades

Bama Samurai and RyX like this.