What advise would you have liked to known at the start?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by londonshaver, Oct 16, 2017.

1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Yeah, if we ever find the guy who started the whole MAYhem thing I think we should have him committed. :innocent

FaceScraper likes this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Don't sell the Gillette Empire trifecta you got a good deal on. Don't sell that ultra rare (only one in existence) NIB 1949 Gillette Milord Christmas boxed set. Don't wait for those Fatboys on eBay to drop in price (they were selling for about $25 at the time, and I only wanted to spend $15. I ended up having to pay about $50, and nice ones were usually selling for about $65-70 at that point.) Also I would have told myself to stock up on those shave creams and soaps that ended up becoming discontinued and very expensive, when they can be found.

Edit: as for actual shaving advice? I read this forum and others for years before joining any forums, so I didn't have to go through all the newbie errors. I learned (mostly) from other people's mistakes.

FaceScraper and NCoxSTL like this.
  3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I was worried about the difficulty of stopping and maintaining a straight razor so I delayed my straight razor shaving two years. I wish then that stropping is easier than I thought and maintenance is so bad either. Honing.... that is not easy.

The importance of skin stretching, that made a big difference in my shaves.

4. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

"No pressure" & "Ride the cap".
    My first several shaves with a double edged blade, my face looked like a banzai charge.

FaceScraper and SABOTEURw like this.
  5. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Don't go for cheap, go for good.

6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Recognize the difference between collecting and shaving. It is a neat hobby to begin a collection in if that’s what you want to do, but it is also completely unnecessary for a good shave. Your pocketbook will thank you later.

7. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

I have a boat load of odds and ends that I won't use but are tough to trade because of weight, shipping charges and Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

8. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

I'm just basically echoing what has already been said...but, don't obsess over what razor or blades to buy. And, don't go by "reviews" as most are written by other newbies. A razor just holds a blade, and all blades are sharp enough to shave. Any combo can shave great, any combo can shred your face. It's all technique.

Oh, yeah....I forgot one. Don't buy a sampler pack of blades to start. Stick with one brand/"model" for at least a month. Sampler packs do nothing for you until you learn proper technique.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    SABOTEURw, NCoxSTL and CarlfromMO like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Great video!

This is just probably do to a little OCD on my part ...

When done with your shave; remove the blade and rinse it off. Dried on hair and soap scum does not improve your next shave. Also once your blade is removed from the razor, clean your razor. You invested money into your razor protect your investment.

I have a small jar of alcohol to rinse my razor off in; not for sterilization, but for soap scum removal. It keeps it nice and shiny. :cool:

IMG_0556.JPG

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  10. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

:signs011:

FaceScraper likes this.
  11. Trainbanger

Trainbanger New Member

Good info, I think. I started wet shaving a couple of weeks ago understanding this could eliminate the razor burn I am experiencing on my neck. I'm trying to be patient but still getting irritation. My razor doesn't seem to cut WTG o. My neck. Any advice?

NCoxSTL likes this.
  12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The neck can be tricky to figure out. Most of us don't have the same hair growth pattern on our necks as our faces. For instance, my WTG pass on my face is N-S. Top to bottom. On my neck it's more of an angle across the neck because of how it grows out of my neck. You should try and "map" your beard growth by figuring out which way the hair is growing. That will help you get a better and less irritating pass and shave overall.

13. Trainbanger

Trainbanger New Member

Didn't realize there so much to consider. Thks

NCoxSTL likes this.