What Aftershave Are You Embarrassed To Admit You Used, In Your Youth??

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by DaltonGang, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Lilan

Lilan Active Member

Brut and I still use it lol

2. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

People tried to get me to be ashamed of using classic Old Spice. I rebuffed them and stood up for my favorite cologne scent (and they know I own some pricey colognes).

BamaT likes this.
  3. chrisf8657

chrisf8657 Active Member

I never used aftershave until I was in my 20's.

4. whaap

whaap Active Member

I started around 18 with Mennen. In my early 20's I went to Old Spice. In my late 20's I went to English Leather. I stopped using any kind of after shave when I was around 35 which would be close to 50 years ago.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

did you buy the tee-shirts?

6. injun

injun Member

India was amazingly difficult to get "imported" stuff due to strict custom and foreign exchange rules
    still due to relatives abroad I could get my hands on brut, English leather with the cork cap, tabac and old spice made by Shulton
    also the occasional polo green used them all and loved them all
    -raj k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry Thomas likes this.
  7. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Tee shirts? No.

8. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Wait...whats wrong with polo????

I dont think im embarrassed to have used any. A lot of the brands like clubman, old spice, and aqua velva are just classics. I love old school shaving, and although i have some super fancy T &H aftershaves, penhaligon AS and TOBS...they sit right by my drug store classics in my shave den.

9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

My 18 yr old son says: "What's wrong with my Axe Spray"?

10. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

In college - back in the 60's - I was a Hai Karate man. As a nerd, I got sucked in by the ads. I understand they are producing it again.

BamaT and Paul Turner like this.
  11. Lilan

Lilan Active Member

Brut, but I still use it and others from back then, so I'm not really embarrassed I guess

12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

In Men's Health Magazine, they showed men wearing the tees. I recall thinking, "Nah, the aftershaves will suffice".

13. David W650

David W650 Active Member

In my youth it wasn't what I used that mattered.

What mattered was how much I used!

I use to crop-dust myself with aftershave or cologne. And I thought I was "cool" for doing it.

14. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I feel ya Spyder, I can remember doing the same thing with English Leather. My date spent the night trying to stay upwind!:eek:

BamaT likes this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

me too...

16. Ken Speckle

Ken Speckle New Member

It's not so much that I'm embarrassed to admit to anything. Okay, well maybe Brut and English leather. Come to think of it, why was that appealing to ANYONE EVER? I mean, are there really people out there that just love a nose full of leather? Just bad marketing. Anyway, whatever I used. I was always told I used a tad too much.

17. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Yeah, I'd have to go with Polo also. No offense to the current users lol. And as many as you have said, I bathed in it. I've come to respect the purpose of aftershave now. I don't use cologne anymore and learned about AS here in TSD. I'm currently using six AS that I made myself, but keep my standard Barbasol and Clubman on hand at all times.

18. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Hi Karate and/or Royal Copenhagen. Hate 'em both.

19. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I wouldn't say I'm embarrassed that I used anything, just the amount I used. In my teens and even into my 20s, if I used anything, I always used way too much.

I still use Aqua Velva, Old Spice, English Leather (which was one of my late Father's favorites), and Polo Green (though not as much...it was my ex's favorite). I even still use Drakkar Noir once in a blue moon (though I'm very, very careful about how much I use).

20. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Jovan Musk( I think it's actually a cologne.)

Ijustmissedthe50s and crackstar like this.