What am I doing wrong

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Omelmad, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

[​IMG]

So this is my neck =P

When I shave I use fusion and a parker shavette (derby) blades. The shavette I use on the neck for touch up and to get a closer shave on the neck, i cant use fussion on the Beck because it feels like a grater =P

I always get smal red spots and pimples, what do I have to do to prevent this? My prep and lather is good (I think) and Im cautious while shaving..

I need help =)

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I can't use Derby blades for that very reason - they always tear up my neck.

sol92258 likes this.
  3. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I would try a smoother blade, or at least another brand for a few days and see if it helps.

Those are shaving bumps, not cuts. How old is the blade you are using? Have you tried a sharper blade?

[quote="Omelmad, post: 653615, member: 1094
    The shavette I use on the neck for touch up and to get a closer shave on the neck[/quote]

How many passes are you making on your neck?
    My neck can not stand the same amount of passes as my cheeks, and I need to make a 3 pass instead of a 4 pass on my neck.
    Can you make one less pass on the neck?

4. Omelmad

I might need to buy new blades then =)

5. Omelmad

How many passes are you making on your neck?
    My neck can not stand the same amount of passes as my cheeks, and I need to make a 3 pass instead of a 4 pass on my neck.
    Can you make one less pass on the neck?[/quote]

I dont use the blades more than 2-3 times, just for that reason to have as new and sharp blade as possible.

When shaving with fusion I do once with the grain reaally reeeaaaally careful because if I dont It tears on my skin. When I use the shavetta I do it XTG/WTG/ATG. When I go with the blade down I do XTG/WTG and ATG and when I go up its the opposite. ATG where I went XTG/WTG before =P does that make any sense?

6. swarden43

Lots of folks can only make two passes on their neck, one pass with the grain and another pass across the grain. Any more than that, or if they try against the grain, and they wind up with what you have.

vwp528 and sol92258 like this.
  7. Omelmad

So its not neccessarily technique, its just that Im one of those that just cant get a real close shave. That sucks

8. swarden43

Not so fast. As I said, it might be the blade.

9. markjnewcomb

But, it could still be technique.

Try a different blade. (BTW - I only use a blade twice)

10. Omelmad

Im gonna wait and see if I win any of the DE razor PIFS, if not Im gonna buy a muhle r89 and a blade sample =) It might be technique too, im still "new" to this.

I never thought about the blade I just thought Im doing something wrong. I prepare well, shower and wash face, rinse with hot water between passes, apply and massage in the lather with my brush. I hope the blade is the problem ! I would like to be one of those that can go XTG =P

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
    Bristle Me and swarden43 like this.
  11. swarden43

:happy088::happy088:

Omelmad likes this.
  12. Omelmad

I started off only using them once, but I read here on the forum that people use their blades up to 5 times. So I thought 1-3 times is not that bad =P

13. markjnewcomb

I can't count that high. If I have a used razor I throw it away afterwards. If I don't have a used razor, I save it. It's the only way I can remember.

14. Omelmad

Im gonna try using a new blade each time, I have about 175 pieces left so I can afford to use them only once =P

15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

You might also want to try a pre-shave balm or oil.

Omelmad likes this.
  16. Omelmad

Im using your pre shave oil recipe =) but I might try massaging in a little bit more oil and let it sit a bit longer =) Thank you, good advice =)

17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

That could not hurt.

Omelmad likes this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

…and hold off shaving that area until the irritation dies back a bit. Otherwise, you'll be back to square one with red bumps, itch & irritation.
    Against-The-Grain shaving is a common cause of this type of skin irritation.

Omelmad likes this.
  19. Omelmad

I do that. It sucks, because i have to wait 2-4days between shaves instead of every other day like I want it to be

20. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

+1, same here.