What are you reading?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by oscar11, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Spartacus by Howard Fast. (This is the book on which the movie was loosely based.)

2. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

upload_2015-8-16_9-28-29.png

I think this is the first book I've read by Glenda Larke. It's an entertaining read.

3. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I just finished reading, Born to Run by Christopher McDougall. A surprisingly good book, in fact one of the better books I have read in a long time.
    Now it is back to Pratchett and the Discworld. Always entertaining

4. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

All Necessary Force, by Brad Taylor. The second in a series of novels about clandestine operations. I have read several of Vince Flynn's novels, and in my opinion (books are a lot like shaving, YMMV), Taylor's books are the better reads. Taylor was a high ranking special forces officer, and I believe that allows him to bring a sense of realism to his books, realizing of course that they are fiction. I do like Flynn's books, I just think Taylor is a bit better if you like this type of novel

Vince Flynn is no longer with us, unfortunately, succumbing a couple of years ago to prostate cancer. One of his last books was, to me, one of his best.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  5. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I'm reading a signed copy of this ( I have kids, don't judge),
    51RrDRx3ZEL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

And I'm about to read this since I was able to get it for free with Kindle's lending library.
    51kH7gaqxOL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

6. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Chocolat by Joanne Harris. It was adapted for screen with Juliette Binoche, Johnny Depp, Alfred Molina and the great Judy Dench.

7. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era, by James M. McPherson.

8. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

The Language of Liberty: The Political Speeches and Writings if Abraham Lincoln; The Cost of Discieship (Dietrich Bonhoeffer); Injustice: Gods Among Us (a graphic novel series).

9. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

The Human Division by John Scalzi

10. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

"Equality of the Sexes," a short story by Avrom Reyzen, and Beowulf.

mhari_dubh likes this.
  11. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

The Wright Brothers by David McCullough and really like it.

12. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Quite a bit actually
    • Just finished The Five Love Languages. Good read. Even if your marriage is pretty good, this could make it better.
    • I just finished The Revenge of Seven in preparation for the release of The Fate of Ten
    • I'm in the Middle of Whistle While You Work
    • I'm a couple of months into My Utmost For His Highest, a year-long daily devotional
    • I just started Meditations by Marcus Aurelius in audiobook form. This one is not for drive time listening. Very much like Proverbs written in Roman language. Each statement deserves at least a few minutes of thought processing.
    • I'm a few days into Archmage from R. A. Salvatore

Dulouz likes this.
  13. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Preston & Child's Cold Vengence, a Pendergast novel.

image.jpg

14. Dulouz

Dulouz Active Member

The New Jim Crow - Michelle Alexander

Surprised By Scripture - NT Wright

Teach Like A Champion - Doug Lemov

15. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

The Bread Givers

The Ulster Cycle

16. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Just finished "The Martian" by David Weir

I enjoyed it. The movie ought to be pretty good.

MoAllen likes this.
  17. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

I recently listened to the audiobook version of "The Martian". It was a great listen! I am eager to see the movie in October.

18. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

upload_2015-10-2_6-35-53.png

A very good hard boiled private investigator type novel. I've never been to Chicago, so a lot of the location references don't mean much to me.

19. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Tristan & Isolde

20. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

The Secret Influence of the Moon by: Louis Proud awesome book so far. I love to read and a lot of times it involves my life's work which is gathering information about the real history of mankind and using evidence to build my belief systems rather than believing everything I am told.