What are you reading?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by oscar11, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Getting close to the halfway point of In Cold Blood. Pretty good though Truman Capote gets very wordy in parts. He obviously had a very high intellect and advanced vocabulary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Currently, I'm re-reading the 'Florida Friends' series on storiesonline - for the third time in a row. Don't do this unless you're a speed reader. The stories are good, but HUGE. In some ways, they're similar to a Russian novel, in that they are excessively wordy. They're unlike a Russian Novel in that the excessively wordy isn't terrible to read.

Across the room from me is a copy of Charlotte MacLeod's "The Corpse In Oozaks Pond". I highly recommend Charlotte MacLeod and her other aliases (Alissa Craig, for one). Well written light mystery books. She was mostly a contemporary of Agatha Christie, but died just a few years ago. The bulk of her books were written in the timeframe of the 50's and 60's, and into the 80's. No computers and so forth, but it doesn't detract from the stories.

3. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Just finished "The Wright Brothers" by David McCullough.
    Took the family to the Outer Banks about twenty years ago and felt privileged to have walked the Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills area. I'll get back there one day I hope.

PLAla likes this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Fitzgerald's Tender is the Night. Inspired by his friendship with Mr.and Mrs. Gerald Murphy. Before moving to France, Murphy had worked for his father's company Mark Cross (Mark Cross Razor 1913). While for a short time he painted (The Razor, 1924) he would spend the rest of his working life at Mark Cross after his father's passing. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

BamaT likes this.
  5. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Right now:

John Steinbeck - Travels with Charly in search of America (in German)

and after that:

Joseph Fink - Welcome to Night Vale (in English)

Greetings
    Thorsten

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport

PLAla and jmudrick like this.
  6. RetLEO-07

Currently reading "The American Revolution, A History" by Gordon S. Wood, one of the preeminent historians of the Revolution. It's a compact history, only 166 pages.

PLAla likes this.
  7. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Currently reading "Founding Brothers" by Joseph J. Ellis. It takes six events after the Revolution and tells the stories behind them. It's a good narrative. Ellis is a fantastic writer.

BamaT likes this.
  8. PLAla

That was a great book!

9. hamoncan

hamoncan Member

Tony Schumacher has a really great alt WWII series as well set in a conquered Britain.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

10. hamoncan

hamoncan Member

Currently reading through the 100 Cupboards series. Somehow the some of the best fiction is always juvenile fiction.

11. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

What is the series called? Might have to look into it.

12. hamoncan

hamoncan Member

Not sure if there is a series name, but The Darkest Hour is the 1st book and British Lion is the 2nd. John Rossett it the primary character so maybe it's the John Rossett series?

13. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Just over half way done.[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

14. hamoncan

hamoncan Member

[​IMG]

Rereading this series for the fourth or fifth time - my fave series

dustmite likes this.
  15. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting!

PLAla likes this.
  16. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Currently reading "Watchman - JFK's Last Ride," by Jack Owens, a retired FBI agent. Yes, it's a JFK assassination conspiracy theory, but fairly believable. Part of this novel ties into my own beliefs; I know enough about the rifle and ammunition used by Oswald, and ballistics in general to absolutely believe there were at least two gunmen, with one firing from the front, the grassy knoll.

17. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting, I'm going to have to look for this.

18. PLAla

Just finished up "Founding Brothers" by Joseph J. Ellis. Very well-written and enjoyable book.

Now, trying to decide what to read next. I'm gravitating back to the Civil War as it is my favorite historical subject. I have pulled out five contenders:

Battle Cry of Freedom by James McPherson
    Grant Moves South, 1861-1863 by Bruce Catton
    The Man Who Would Not be Washington by Jonathan Horn
    Jeb Stuart: The Last Cavalier by Burke Davis
    The Civil War, A Narrative, Volume 3 by Shelby Foote

These are all pretty heavy (in weight and content). The McPherson and Foote are ones I have wanted to read for a long time. I've read the first two volumes of the Foote series and enjoyed them. I really enjoy Bruce Catton as well.

I'll deliberate on these and report back on my choice!

19. PLAla

I decided to go with The Man Who Would Not be Washington by Jonathan Horn. It's a biography of Robert E. Lee but focuses on his decision to stick with Virginia in the Civil War as opposed to the Union. It traces his connection to Washington through his marriage as well as his father's connection to the Revolution and how his squandered life affected Lee's temperament, etc. It looks to be interesting.

BamaT likes this.
  20. RetLEO-07

I also find it interesting that Lee was offered command of the Union Army but decided to cast his lot with his "country", Virginia.

PLAla likes this.