What blade is the WORST for you?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Matt0210, Oct 7, 2016.

1. hamoncan

hamoncan Member

When I started out anything other than a Derby, Shark or Bluebird was too harsh for me and I think was getting a decent shave from them. Whenever I try use one now to try use up the old stock I just can't finish the shave without switching to a different blade. I guess my technique changed over time to favour a more aggressive shave and I don't have the patience for the multiple passes you need with those mild blades. I'd still recommend them as a starter blade, especially say to a new young shaver with a light beard. Maybe I'll hang on to them till my son needs them.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

2. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I have only tried about 8 different blades, but of those that I've tried, there is a clear 'winner'.
    It is a double whammy for me: Worst shave AND the most expensive(nice combination:prrr:)? Merkur.
    At least Derbys are cheap...

3. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Bic yellow pack was the worse for me. They were really inconsistent, I would get one good blade and followed by a horrible one. It was a few years ago I tried them, maybe they sorted out their QC issues by now.

4. brit

brit in a box

derby blades are the worst for me sofar,tugs and pulls in any razor,just not sharp enough i guess.i mostly use astra sp,gsb,voskhods,gillette platinums and wilkinsons.wilkinsons haven t been great lately either.i think i am getting more used to the sharper blades.

Col C likes this.
  5. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I'm finding the same thing. Now that my technique is vasty improved from where it was last year - the sharper blades are providing the best shaves. All my razors are pretty mild (Merkur 34c, Muhle R89 et cetera) so that would make sense.

brit, Linuxguile and RetLEO-07 like this.
  6. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

7 O'clock black.
    I've tried multiple times in multiple razors over a lot of years and I just don't get along well with them.

7. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

Derby. I might as well being trying to shave with a butter knife. Nothing but pulling and tugging, no matter what DE I use.

I'll stick with my Astra SPs. :)

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  8. bleddybear

bleddybear Member

Wilkinson sword

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Personna Red's. No matter the razor (when I had more than 2) never provided a comfortable shave....never

10. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Same for me. However, the Astra's don't work for me either.

11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Every once in a while, I get a "clunker" blade, from almost every manufacturer. These are my worst blades. Honestly, since my technique has solidified, I haven't experienced a bad blade that wasn't defective.

12. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I think the worst blade I have tried would be the Tiger blades. Absolutely unshaveable, I couldn't even make it thru 1 pass without changing the blade. The Falcon blades were pretty bad as well. The good news is that most of the blades on the market work well so its a matter of finding what works best for your skin.