What blade next

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by RockHolger, Feb 26, 2012.

1. RockHolger

RockHolger New Member

So far I've been using Merkurblades in my Merkur HD. Now it's time to explore the universe of DE-blades.
    The samplerpack I bought contains

Astra Superior Platinum (5)
    Crystal Platinum (10) - Israeli Personna, Super + Platinum
    Derby Extra (5)
    Feather New Hi-Stainless (10)
    Gillette 7 o’clock Sharp Edge (5)
    LORD Platinum Chrome (5)
    Personna Platinum Chrome (10) - ‘Red Personna, Israeli Reds’
    Shark Super Chrome (5)
    Wilkinson Sword Double Edge (5)

Now u guys and gals just have to tell me what blade to try first, and hopefully why.
    Dont have to be scientific at all.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Take one of each blade (leave it in the wrapper, of course), drop 'em into a paper bag, shake 'em up, reach in and grab one.
    That's the one to use next.

Really. It just doesn't matter. They are all sharp. They are all designed to shave. They will all cut you if you're not careful and do not respect them. And what works for one person may or may not work for you. So really, it just doesn't matter.

macaronus, Paulie, DLP and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:signs011: Saved me a whole lotta typing. :)

4. RockHolger

RockHolger New Member

U really got my point with the scientific part :)
    Why not do the bladelottery.
    Will even help me in my struggle to avoid paralysis by analysis.

DLP likes this.
  5. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

Or go alphabetically, or by color, or by what country they come from. The point is, it doesn't matter. I'm currently going through a LARGE assortment of blades and I found a lot of good information here:

http://leisureguy.wordpress.com/2007/08/07/a-disquisition-on-blade-sampler-packs/

I really think it's important that before you get too deep into the sampler pack, find a blade that works reasonable well (probably the Astra, most folks love 'em., but I don't), buy enough for a month of shaves so that as you're working on your technique, you're blade is staying the same. If you use a variety of blades as you're just starting, you wont' know if it's the new blade that's making a difference of it's just that your technique is getting better. Once you're consistent in your lather and shaving technique, then start sampling blades.

Once you start, make sure you keep going back to your "best" blade after sampling a blade, unless the new sample is better. I go 3 shaves per blade so that works out to 2 blades per week (usually skip a shave once a week). That makes it easy for me to keep track of when I should switch to a new sample blade, or switch back to my "best" blade if the sample isn't any better.

I currently have 25 different blade brands, but have just ordered 7 more and have requested a trade for 4 others. I'll be testing blades for the next 2 years.

DLP likes this.
  6. RockHolger

RockHolger New Member

5Savages: sounds like a good gameplan.
    And will work well as long as I use the MerkurHD only.
    But I even know I will have to try several blades in my other two razors. And there's no guarantee it will be no more razors. :)
    So much for that gameplan.

7. Well, I'm guessing you've been using the Merkur blade for a few weeks. If not, then keep using those till you've had at least 15 shaves.

From that blade I'd probably try the Crystal next. It's a mild blade but still effective and many guys like it as a go to blade. If that one feels good, use up two blades worth to continue perfecting your technique, and then head for the SharpEdge. By then you should be getting consistantly good shaves and this sharp blade should be an interesting experience.

Your call of course,

Martin

DLP likes this.
  8. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

When I first started DE shaving, there were so many choices and I didn't want to spend a lot of time on a merry-go-round. So, what I did was I read every single forum post on blades that I could find; I spent hours and hours reading. I got a pretty good concensus from many people on what was working and what wasn't. It's not scientific, but that many people couldn't be wrong so I took a stab at it. {That forum across the street has a pretty good "Blades" sub-forum under the "DE Razor" forum}

I only have 4 blades in my rotation: Personna Med. Preps., Super Iridiums (disco'd), Polsilvers (disco'd) and Voskhods. I've spent a considerable amount of time and money scouring the planet for the Iridiums and have my last batch on the way now. The only other blade I've tried is Feather and I use them occasionally in the right razor.

Hope this helps somebody.

DLreno likes this.
  9. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I agree with what the others have said: The order is not too terribly important. Of course, you want to make sure you have your technique totally dialed in first with a blade that works reasonably well.

Once you are done with the sampler pack, you might want to try additional blades. Since most sampler packs are simply collections of packs, you can create your own custom samplers by picking blade packs of your own choosing. Shoebox Shaveshop has one of the largest, if not the largest, blade selection around. Connaught Shaving also has a very large blade selection. Shave A Buck has a smaller blade selection, but offers some brands not commonly found elsewhere.

Best of luck and happy shaving!

10. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

My approach would be to sort these 9 blade packs initially into 2 groups, with the Feathers and 7-O'Clocks in group 2 for later. Then focus on group 1, giving focus to one blade until that pack is done to make that work. Then try others in that group using each brand twice consecutively. Some will work better than others. Segregate the better ones into the "better" pile. The lesser ones put aside into a "lesser" pile to try again much later. Then move to Group 2, shifting to one blade/brand at a time (not 2), holding Feathers and 7-Oclocks for last. While doing this read these threads to find those that like/dislike the same blades as you do, and observe what else they like and add those to orders. Very soon you will have 4 piles: lesser, good, better, best, and you will be an informed buyer knowing what you want to try next and why. Of course, this is just my approach. YMMV.

11. Almightys

Almightys New Member

Any blade has to be better than the merkurs? Lol

12. RockHolger

RockHolger New Member

If thats a fact I'm very glad because I've had pretty decent shaves with the Merkurs as a rookie.

13. BossManBill

BossManBill Well-Known Member

I would try the Personna. I just used the "Lab Blue" as a sample from another member here...and they ROCK!! I'm not sure the difference between what I used and what you have in the sampler, but it's worth a shot.

14. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

What Steve said. Besides, this way I think it can even be more fun! The suspense! What will come out next? :D