What Blade Shaves the Most Like the Old Derby

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, May 19, 2010.

1. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Originally I asked whats the Smoothest Shaving Blade, but that was far too ambiguous and blades are strickly a matter of opinion. So I'm changing the question... Now some think when the horizontal Derbys run-out we will have to find a new user friendly, "Prince of Smooth" Blade to set the standard....So I want to know.

WHAT BLADE SHAVES THE MOST LIKE THE OLD HORIZONTAL DERBY EXTRAS ???

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I've used Derby and did not like them, smooth but not sharp enough by a long shot, tough beard . The best combo of smooth and sharp for me is the Lord Super Stainless. I get a good shave and I never nick myself with them.

3. Bird Lives

When I was using Perma-Sharps Supers all the time, if I used a Derby I would be irritated at how dull the Derby felt...but then I would have the Slim @9, listening to music and shaving like crazy, not paying attention at all and I'd stop and wonder if there was a blade in the razor...then rinse and have a great BBS, and no RED...That happened several times, then I started to really like the Derbys...

4. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

blades are extremely too YMMV, might as well ask where the wettest water is, honestly.
    for me, Astras, black gillette, and yellow gillette are consistently smooth.

derbys, crystals, lords, none are smooth at all to me.

blades really are a very personal matter of opinion

5. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum (black package), for me, puts Feathers in the back seat.

6. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I don't know if smoothness is YMMV absolutely because if you corral a group of shavers they will agree that some blades are smoother than others.For example more often than not everyone would say a Derby is smoother than a Feather and we can all offer blood samples to prove it.:D

7. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:sihns011 Jim is totally correct here!

8. Shaving.ie

Shaving.ie New Member

Why not just buy a large quantity of the old ones? Im sure there is plenty or old stock floating about.

9. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Bird

In the shaving hobby we come to love a product so strongly that we think we will and must never run out. So needless anxiety, hoarding and panic buying sets in. Then often we change our minds about the object of our devotion or we find another product just as good down the road.

I liked the now defunct Polsilver blade and I liked the Lord Extra. One reviewer noted that the blades seemed similar to him. To me it explained why I liked them both and I recognized the rough similarity he pointed out . I think the Lord Extra today is just the Lord Stainless renamed. Its possible that someone who also liked the blades could point me to others that he thought similar.

How many times do we read from shavers " Merkurs suck", Feather sharp", "Bics are inconsistent"," Tigers bite"," Derby mild", many times, there are noted features among blades that SOME shavers can agree on. Thats why I say YMMV is not absolute . Saying its all just opinion will just shut down discussion and we don't learn about blades that thought would seem to make blade reviews, discussions and scales irrevelant and I think they are helpful.

10. Bird Lives

CASE-CLOSED...You're Right...You got my no....:)) Alright, no panic buying or hoarding for me...Actually I'm on a safari for a new "Go To"...:)) Safari over, conclusion, I'm buying and hoarding all the horizontal Derbys I have room for...;))